• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to write a story that'll make people cry.

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5
I've recently become a little addicted to stories that can make me cry. I'm not sure how to write a story like that though.

Things like the end of the first poke'mon movie where the poke'mon are all fighting and really don't want to be and then ash looks like he dies. [first example I thought of since it's the first movie to ever make me cry].

A great deal of batman begins is pretty sad.

Anyhow I know there needs to be a connection built into the character so the reader understands where they're coming from and what their plight is. Then something needs to be taken away from them. But it seems like there's more to it.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, the easiest ways are fairly manipulative. Make the victim/protagonist a pure innocent: dogs and children fit this bill most of all. If it can somehow be based on a true event or use a tragedy as a backdrop or inspiration, that usually gets people going. Make sure that whatever happens to those characters (death or something worse, usually) was easily avoidable at some point earlier in the film, but only occurred because
A) the character was forced into this position by a lack of protagonist's understanding of the situation (because they are a dog, child, or possibly old person who does not understand some modern concept. Especially great if they have naive trust in some kind of supposed authority) or occur because of a flawed larger system or antagonist (Greek tragedy style) or
B) because of flaw in the character that is relatable and not so intense as to alienate the viewer/reader (i.e., somewhat proud, too trusting, unable to face conflict directly) causes their downfall (Shakespearean tragedy style).

Also, watch some sad stuff. Some incredibly sad movies, especially ones that do this well: When the Wind Blows, Dear Zachary (as a documentary, this one is really hard), Grave of the Fireflies, Plague Dogs, season four of the Wire.

All of those are incredibly sad but very genuine and well-done.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Write what makes you cry. Edit/reread it 5 times. If your still crying, you got what you're looking for. Also, try not to mention Pokemon or Batman :D

Edit: Also, don't forget, Happy crying and Sad crying are different.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Pick up a book of poems by Pablo Neruda. Pick some sad poems and write a short story on each (elaborating/speculating of what you guess is on background story behind the poem).

Pick the best short story of those you wrote and incorporate it into a weepy novel.

A

Anew Leaf

Write a story in which Bella and Edward die in each other's arms as the stakes of a thousand angry people rise against them.

It's sure to produce a few quarts of emo tears from each tween and unsatisfied house wife who idolizes these books.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Write a story in which Bella and Edward die in each other's arms as the stakes of a thousand angry people rise against them.

It's sure to produce a few quarts of emo tears from each tween and unsatisfied house wife who idolizes these books.

Do people still like Twilight? Figured it kind of died after all this Hunger Games shenanigans.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Funny you should mention that Pokemon movie, as I think it was the first movie to make me cry as well. Books generally don't, though; I think it's the lack of a soundtrack, as I've always had an emotional connection to orchestral music. The one exception, I think, was "The Prince's Tale" chapter from The Deathly Hallows. That hit me hard.