123 Last

Thread: ereaders

MBTI
    yupp

Default ereaders

do you have one?
    do you like it?
    do you use it?
    how do you think yours could be improved?
    what's your type?

(trying to see if there's a correlation between type and ereaders or not)

yes, I have a kindle classic
    I love it
    Hell yeah, mostly on trips though
    I think they could have put in a back light.
    INFP
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I am pretty happy with my Kindle Fire which although its not as much a pleasure to read as the classic "eink" of more traditional readers the browser/app aspect is a cool plus (although I am sure an iPad would flow much better).

One of the thinks I recently have done for the first time was check out library books with it. After I got to the libraries web page on how to do it, it was a snap, and will be easily repeatable. I think I will be checking out library ebooks although I am not sure if I need to return them after a period of time and face late fees or if they automatically stop working...
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Vizconde View Post
    I am pretty happy with my Kindle Fire which although its not as much a pleasure to read as the classic "eink" of more traditional readers the browser/app aspect is a cool plus (although I am sure an iPad would flow much better).

One of the thinks I recently have done for the first time was check out library books with it. After I got to the libraries web page on how to do it, it was a snap, and will be easily repeatable. I think I will be checking out library ebooks although I am not sure if I need to return them after a period of time and face late fees or if they automatically stop working...
    I always wondered how renting from the library worked, I have a prime membership so i borrow books from their, which is nice.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

I have a kindle and it is awesome for work because it is easier to carry around than a book and I spend lots of time on the move and then waiting around alone for long periods so the kindle is very practical.

I also like the ease of buying new literature and getting it delivered straight to the kindle. Appeals to my lazy nature.

I still love books though. So I'm not giving up on them completely.

A back light would be good yeah. I tend to buy new stuff on amazon on my laptop rather than faffing with the typing system on the kindle.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Although I have not bought one before (with the exception of the Kindle Fire) cheap tablets seem like a good entrance for beginners into the ebook market/culture.

I just bought this $50 tablet today for a gift for a friend instead of an ereader today.

http://www.woot.com/
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

do you have one? I have a Kindle Fire and Nook classic
    do you like it? Love them
    do you use it? I still have a lot of books on my Nook but I don't use it as much. I use the Kindle daily for reading, browsing, email, etc. I also have an iPad but it is way too big to read in bed.
    how do you think yours could be improved? I'm not sure, it does most of what I need.
    what's your type? INTJ
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yes and no.

I have a second generation iPod touch with an app on it called Stanza which allows me to read ebooks. I find them online, convert them to the proper format and send it to myself via e-mail for free ebooks. I've read quite a few books on it and it's been enjoyable so far. The nice thing about the iPod touch is that it fits in my pocket and it's extremely portable. Not to mention, I can listen to music while I read.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

• do you have one? I have a Kindle Fire
    • do you like it? Love it.
    • do you use it? I do use it, but I've found that with my Amazon Prime membership, it's often cheaper for me to get used copies of paperbacks shipped to me. So I still read a lot of paper books.
    • how do you think yours could be improved? Definitely jailbreak it. Then you can use a host of Android apps on it.
    • what's your type? ENFP
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I tried one (a Kobo). Didn't like it, ended up returning it.

I hated how you have to turn the pages forward or backward one at a time. You can't flip back easily if you're trying to recall something from earlier, you can't flip forward easily if you're curious about something or want to see how many pages are remaining in a chapter or section. Also, you can't mark pages or bend over a corner to keep track of a certain passage. It just didn't work well with the way I read.

I guess I'd like to see some feature that makes it easier to move around in the book, like maybe a search function that lets you jump to a page by finding a specific word or phrase. And I'd like it if the page-turning was quick and immediate, rather than irritatingly slow.

Even if this were the case though, I still might not be into them. In a way I just like the physicality of books. I associate them with memories - where I got them and what interested me about them, where I sat and read them and what was going on in my life at that time, the design of the cover and the feel. This may well be one type of technology that I'll never get into.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    do you have one?
    do you like it?
    do you use it?
    how do you think yours could be improved?
    what's your type?
    Do you have one? Yes (eInk Kindle and iPad 3)
    Do you like it: Yes, prefer the Kindle for reading novels
    Do I use it: Use both pretty much daily

How do you think it could be improved: Love the Kindle's eInk screen because it's much easier on the eyes for extended reading than a backlit display. However, the display is only 200dpi (even though eInk is self-smoothing/anti-aliasing), and all the fonts are kind of ungainly and clunky. I think moving it to 300dpi combined with better fonts would be a big subjective improvement for design snobs

Things to improve for eInk-based Kindles:
    • Higher res display
    • Better fonts (requires higher res display)
    • Ability to read non-Amazon DRMed (ick!) eBooks
    • Better text layout engine (to prevent orphans, rivers, etc)

Conversely, the iPad 3 screen is amazingly hi-res, fonts look right and each of their own personality, so I love that aspect. Can't wait for higher-res displays to become ubiquitous. The iPad 3 also is great for color magazines/books and reference materials where one wants to jump around a lot. Still, it's too heavy to want to drag around everywhere, and the backlit display is more eye tiring than eInk.

Not sure what can be improved with iPad 3... made lighter, more portable and less fragile would be nice. Otherwise, the display technology has pluses and minuses.

Type: INFP