• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ereaders

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
do you have one?
do you like it?
do you use it?
how do you think yours could be improved?
what's your type?

(trying to see if there's a correlation between type and ereaders or not)

yes, I have a kindle classic
I love it
Hell yeah, mostly on trips though
I think they could have put in a back light.
INFP

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am pretty happy with my Kindle Fire which although its not as much a pleasure to read as the classic "eink" of more traditional readers the browser/app aspect is a cool plus (although I am sure an iPad would flow much better).

One of the thinks I recently have done for the first time was check out library books with it. After I got to the libraries web page on how to do it, it was a snap, and will be easily repeatable. I think I will be checking out library ebooks although I am not sure if I need to return them after a period of time and face late fees or if they automatically stop working...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I am pretty happy with my Kindle Fire which although its not as much a pleasure to read as the classic "eink" of more traditional readers the browser/app aspect is a cool plus (although I am sure an iPad would flow much better).

One of the thinks I recently have done for the first time was check out library books with it. After I got to the libraries web page on how to do it, it was a snap, and will be easily repeatable. I think I will be checking out library ebooks although I am not sure if I need to return them after a period of time and face late fees or if they automatically stop working...

I always wondered how renting from the library worked, I have a prime membership so i borrow books from their, which is nice.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a kindle and it is awesome for work because it is easier to carry around than a book and I spend lots of time on the move and then waiting around alone for long periods so the kindle is very practical.

I also like the ease of buying new literature and getting it delivered straight to the kindle. Appeals to my lazy nature.

I still love books though. So I'm not giving up on them completely.

A back light would be good yeah. I tend to buy new stuff on amazon on my laptop rather than faffing with the typing system on the kindle.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Although I have not bought one before (with the exception of the Kindle Fire) cheap tablets seem like a good entrance for beginners into the ebook market/culture.

I just bought this $50 tablet today for a gift for a friend instead of an ereader today.

http://www.woot.com/

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
do you have one? I have a Kindle Fire and Nook classic
do you like it? Love them
do you use it? I still have a lot of books on my Nook but I don't use it as much. I use the Kindle daily for reading, browsing, email, etc. I also have an iPad but it is way too big to read in bed.
how do you think yours could be improved? I'm not sure, it does most of what I need.
what's your type? INTJ

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yes and no.

I have a second generation iPod touch with an app on it called Stanza which allows me to read ebooks. I find them online, convert them to the proper format and send it to myself via e-mail for free ebooks. I've read quite a few books on it and it's been enjoyable so far. The nice thing about the iPod touch is that it fits in my pocket and it's extremely portable. Not to mention, I can listen to music while I read.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
  • do you have one? I have a Kindle Fire
  • do you like it? Love it.
  • do you use it? I do use it, but I've found that with my Amazon Prime membership, it's often cheaper for me to get used copies of paperbacks shipped to me. So I still read a lot of paper books.
  • how do you think yours could be improved? Definitely jailbreak it. Then you can use a host of Android apps on it.
  • what's your type? ENFP

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I tried one (a Kobo). Didn't like it, ended up returning it.

I hated how you have to turn the pages forward or backward one at a time. You can't flip back easily if you're trying to recall something from earlier, you can't flip forward easily if you're curious about something or want to see how many pages are remaining in a chapter or section. Also, you can't mark pages or bend over a corner to keep track of a certain passage. It just didn't work well with the way I read.

I guess I'd like to see some feature that makes it easier to move around in the book, like maybe a search function that lets you jump to a page by finding a specific word or phrase. And I'd like it if the page-turning was quick and immediate, rather than irritatingly slow.

Even if this were the case though, I still might not be into them. In a way I just like the physicality of books. I associate them with memories - where I got them and what interested me about them, where I sat and read them and what was going on in my life at that time, the design of the cover and the feel. This may well be one type of technology that I'll never get into.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
do you have one?
do you like it?
do you use it?
what's your type?

Do you have one? Yes (eInk Kindle and iPad 3)
Do you like it: Yes, prefer the Kindle for reading novels
Do I use it: Use both pretty much daily

How do you think it could be improved: Love the Kindle's eInk screen because it's much easier on the eyes for extended reading than a backlit display. However, the display is only 200dpi (even though eInk is self-smoothing/anti-aliasing), and all the fonts are kind of ungainly and clunky. I think moving it to 300dpi combined with better fonts would be a big subjective improvement for design snobs

Things to improve for eInk-based Kindles:
  • Higher res display
  • Better fonts (requires higher res display)
  • Ability to read non-Amazon DRMed (ick!) eBooks
  • Better text layout engine (to prevent orphans, rivers, etc)

Conversely, the iPad 3 screen is amazingly hi-res, fonts look right and each of their own personality, so I love that aspect. Can't wait for higher-res displays to become ubiquitous. The iPad 3 also is great for color magazines/books and reference materials where one wants to jump around a lot. Still, it's too heavy to want to drag around everywhere, and the backlit display is more eye tiring than eInk.

Not sure what can be improved with iPad 3... made lighter, more portable and less fragile would be nice. Otherwise, the display technology has pluses and minuses.

Type: INFP

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do you have one?
Yup. Sony PRS 500.
do you like it?
Absolutely love it.
do you use it?
Virtually every day.
Page turning isn't really that fast with e-ink readers (though I would never want to change it for an LCD display), and pictures / PDF files take even longer, but I think newer e-ink readers have made improvements here. A slightly larger display (mine is 6") would also be nice, plus the buttons for turning pages could be larger / require less pressure.
what's your type?
INTP.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a Nook that I use at least weekly. I love it because I can store several books on it rather than having to haul several around. I like being able to change the font size and highlight text and bookmark pages. I get most of my ebooks from the library since they are free. I wish the library had more available.

N

NPcomplete

Do you have one?
I've got a 3rd generation Kindle.

Do you like it?
I adore it.

Do you use it?
Every day. We almost always go on fantastic voyages through time and space. Yes, it's like having a pocket TARDIS all to myself.

How do you think yours could be improved?
I wish pdfs were more readable on it. I don't really like to zoom in and out of pages as I often lose track of where I am on the page. (The Kindle DX is probably more pdf-friendly though.) It also takes longer to turn the pages of pdfs - perhaps only a mere more nanoseconds but I'm impatient when I'm in a story!

Maybe a better handle of comic books would have been nice too. Oh and more file types.

There are probably more improvements but they don't come to mind right now.

What's your type?
INFP *hugs Kindle in true NF fashion*

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a kindle fire and I like it. I didn't know I could check out books from the library tho!! That's awesome!

G

garbage

Not an e-reader, but I use an HP Touchpad tablet hacked to run Android, as well as my good ol' Android phone. They're linked up to my Amazon Kindle account.

It's damn convenient to be able to read on a tablet, let it automatically save my place, and pick it back up on the phone.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Or you could go colonial and have someone read your webpages to you

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i have a "kobo touch", since a week or so.

the touchscreen (using infrared, so no actual pressure is involved) can be pretty unresponsive for some operations like text selection and it can apparently be influenced by bright sunlight/shadow (?) but paging works flawless.
paging could be slightly faster though. it's fast enough for reading, but bad for searching something.

kobo supports many formats (epub, pdf, text, cbr, others ....)

features are rather basic. for instance you can't export text selections, which makes the feature rather useless.
on the other hand, the firmware is in slow but steady developement.

i have been reading a lot more, since i have this device. turns out i don't generally dislike reading, i am just moody about what i want to read at any given time. so carrying 20 books around with me solves this problem, granted i find enough interesting books for different subjects (like satsang, philosophy, nutrition, literature). piracy of ebooks is a must for me. i can't afford to buy books out of curiosity. i only ever buy the books that are supposed to change my life. but those are also the difficult ones, that i can't get myself to read for hours at a time. so even if i could carry around all my 20 bought lifechanging books of the next 10 years (not that i know them yet), i still wouldn't have something for every given mood and then i would fall back into my old habit of forgetting about reading alltogether, for many weeks.

availability of books is a big issue though, especially in my own language (although i can read english fluently).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anything that an outside entity can reach into to remove (or add) material without my consent is definitely not for me, so no, I do not have an ereader, nor do I plan to get one. I do read books and other materials in pdf format on my netbook. It's bigger than an ereader to be sure, but has a full-fledged office suite plus other useful programs, so I can take everything I need while travelling in one device.

Also this:

I hated how you have to turn the pages forward or backward one at a time. You can't flip back easily if you're trying to recall something from earlier, you can't flip forward easily if you're curious about something or want to see how many pages are remaining in a chapter or section. Also, you can't mark pages or bend over a corner to keep track of a certain passage. It just didn't work well with the way I read.

though I would be willing to forgo these aspects of paper books to save paper, and to be able to take more reading material with me in a smaller form. I already have resigned myself to reading most technical literature in pdf format, just to avoid having to print it.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have a Kindle Touch and loooooove it!
Use it everyday.
WTH isn't To Kill A Mockingbird available?? That's like the best book EVER!!
INFP

The first time you plug in to sync/charge after its due date it will automatically expire. But you do have to delete it from your computer otherwise it will continue to show up as expired though you won't be able to read it anymore since it is actually gone. I have been able to read books after their official expiration (just because I hadn't plugged in the USB) and haven't heard from the library about any late fees.