MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default "Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok

"Darmok" is the 102nd episode of the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. The second episode of the fifth season..." Picard finally begins to understand the way the other race communicates when he recites one of the metaphors and sees the meaning underneath it."

Sorry, ain't buying the bullshit. A civilization that communicates in metaphorical language would not get off the ground, much less their home planet.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darmok

"Darmok" is the 102nd episode of the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. The second episode of the fifth season..." Picard finally begins to understand the way the other race communicates when he recites one of the metaphors and sees the meaning underneath it."

Sorry, ain't buying the bullshit. A civilization that communicates in metaphorical language would not get off the ground, much less their home planet.
    Good thing it was just Paul Winfield in an alien suit.

.. but srsly, yes. If there is no specificity to their language, I'm not sure how technology or any other social progress could be effected.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Never had relationships with INTPs before? Watching that episode not too long ago, felt like home!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Never had relationships with INTPs before? Watching that episode not too long ago, felt like home!
    Maybe, but if we made little smiley faces out of 0s and stick figures out of 1s like feelers do, the computer age never would have gotten off the ground.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Lol. I thought that ep was B.S. also. If a long phrase is continually and consistently used to reference an idea, it's a word not (and?) a metaphor. The translators would be fine with it. And the way language tends to work, that phrase would be shortened through time.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Um yeah...it can be like that.

I loved that episode and went around quoting bits and pieces of it.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Lol. I thought that ep was B.S. also. If a long phrase is continually and consistently used to reference an idea, it's a word not (and?) a metaphor. The translators would be fine with it. And the way language tends to work, that phrase would be shortened through time.
    It's supposed to represent mythical language. American Indians spoke like this. For example, if someone goes to the chief with a problem, he might say something like, "You need to go to the place of the five rivers." But that's not to be taken literally, it's a reference to a myth designed to express a solution to his particular problem.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

I'm guessing you were under the age of 12.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It's supposed to represent mythical language. American Indians spoke like this. For example, if someone goes to the chief with a problem, he might say something like, "You need to go to the place of the five rivers." But that's not to be taken literally, it's a reference to a myth designed to express a solution to his particular problem.
    I suppose if the 'myth' referred to was sufficiently multi-utilitarian, I could see how this could become enigmatic to outsiders. But still.. "You need to go to the place of five rivers.", is not dramatically different than "You need to retrace your steps.", except it might take longer for a computer to parse. They're just sounds representing an idea. I thought the whole scenario was represented as revolutionary, when I don't see that it is.

Maybe, but if we made little smiley faces out of 0s and stick figures out of 1s like feelers do, the computer age never would have gotten off the ground.
    Why not? Symbiosis of asymmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post

Adored it too. *takes deep breath* I confess to having all the ST series except the last one.