First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I tended to like the Ian Livingstone books better and had the first 15-20 of them.
    Hmm I tended to prefer the Steve Jackson or Jackson/Livingstone partnership books mush more.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Vizconde View Post
    Hmm I tended to prefer the Steve Jackson or Jackson/Livingstone partnership books mush more.
    Hmmm, I guess I came across too literally -- I mean the entire series, I just couldn't remember if Jackson wrote the first one. But he did cowrite it with Livingstone -- see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizconde View Post
    For the most part I was intrigued by these books as a kid. Especially the Fighting Fantasy series that incorporated dice but didn't require other live players like D&D (the ones by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone) The 5 part epic was my fave that unlike any other choose your own adventure book that I was aware of combined 5 books into one (one of them being a spell-book where you were to memorize spell names that because of use during the series).
    yeah, that!!! Wasn't the spellbook cool, esp being required to recall the spell names?

I posted the front cover of the US version of Book #1 above, I think I still have them in a box in the basement somewhere.

The art rocks. (In fact, the old AD&D b&w art by similar artists either really sucked or was really awesome... esp the eerie stuff. The only thing more fascinating/macabre to me has been Harry Clarke's pen illustrations.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

My favourite books of this type were a series of nature books called "Survival." In each book, you would make the choices of an animal in the wild (they had deer, mouse, otter, squirrel and some others). They had covers like this:

There were many choices that ended in death, and I think there was only one choice path that resulted in a "happy ending" for each animal.

My whole fourth grade class loved them, and there would be a lot of competition to read them during independent reading time. At one point the whole class got a talking-to because kids lucky enough to get their hands on one would hoard them in their desks and trade them amongst themselves rather than returning them to the common shelf.

If I came across one even now in a used bookstore or something, I'd get it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm, I guess I came across too literally -- I mean the entire series, I just couldn't remember if Jackson wrote the first one. But he did cowrite it with Livingstone -- see above..
    I thing we generally agree that we liked the series. I was only noting that of the Jackson/Livingstone team my recollection was that Livingstone did some solo ones which were still pretty good but not as consistently good as Jackson's and the Jackson/Livingstone team.

I would keep good care of those books of yours if they are in good condition because I suspect that they will shoot up in value like some collector comic books in the next ten to twenty years.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    My favorite books of this type were a series of nature books called "Survival." In each book, you would make the choices of an animal in the wild (they had deer, mouse, otter, squirrel and some others).
    I am not familiar with that exact series but I remember as a young kid reading one of the Choose Your Own Adventure type books and being an animal protagonist and getting a kick out of it.

LOL at these I found while looking up the books:

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I loved CYOA books as a kid. My library has still has them in stock and kids are still requesting them.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@EffEmDoubleyou: rofl, that's rich!

Now I've got an idea for another one: "....so You've Got Cancer."

... actually not unprecedented. One of the first Marvel comics graphic novels (in the large flat format, vs the smaller book size they use today) was "The Death of Captain Marvel" from cancer.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

One of the things about CYOA type books were that often the results (especially the result of death) was rather arbitrary. Adding to the perplexities of preteen/teen angst.

"You are in a hallway there are two doors.

The door on the right has a blue diamond shape over the top, the door on the left has a green crescent.

Which door do you choose?

If you choose the right door (blue diamond) turn to page 66

If you choose the left door (green crescent) turn to page 198

If you decide to wait in the hallway for your recently lost blink lynx, turn to page 99."

(after a moments thought with no clues noted as to which symbol to choose you take a guess of the left door and turn to page 198)

"You enter the door with the green crescent and it immediately shuts behind you locked. Suddenly an interdementional nightmare hound jumps at your throat, clenching your throat until all oxygen is cut off and what was once your life...fades all around you.

Your adventure is now over."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I discovered a copy of "daredevil park" at my parents' house last weekend that I must have stolen from the library, so great timing on the thread... I reread it

I always chose the ones with names like scooby doo movies... I always saw how many ways I could die
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett