User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Why Does The Death Star Need A Trash Compactor?

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/o...rash-compactor

"BY JOSHUA TYREE

- - - -
    I maintain that the trash compactor onboard the Death Star in Star Wars is implausible, unworkable, and moreover, inefficient.

The Trash Compactor Debate turns on whether the Death Star ejects its trash into space. I, for one, believe it does. Though we never see the Death Star ejecting its trash, we do see another Empire ship, the so-called Star Destroyer, ejecting its trash into space. I therefore see no reason to suspect that Empire protocol dictating that trash be ejected into space would not apply equally to all Empire spacecraft, including the Death Star.

The Death Star clearly has a garbage-disposal problem..."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Here is the original thrilling scene from Star Wars.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I therefore see no reason to suspect that Empire protocol dictating that trash be ejected into space would not apply equally to all Empire spacecraft, including the Death Star.
    Assuming I'm taking this seriously would be a bit unwise, but... gravity. The death star is as big as "a small moon" and presumably has a greater escape velocity than any pokey star destroyer. So it doesn't jettison garbage much in the same way that you don't throw a spoiled cheeseburger straight up in the air to get rid of it.

Answer #2 : Mr Fusion.

Answer #3: The story's not about the death star's sanitation logistics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Assuming I'm taking this seriously would be a bit unwise, but... gravity. The death star is as big as "a small moon" and presumably has a greater escape velocity than any pokey star destroyer. So it doesn't jettison garbage much in the same way that you don't throw a spoiled cheeseburger straight up in the air to get rid of it.

Answer #2 : Mr Fusion.

Answer #3: The story's not about the death star's sanitation logistics.
    #1 : The size of this "small moon" doesn't matter. What matters is its mass. And you can tell that it's mostly empty space.

#2 : Doc Brown wouldn't have been born yet.

#3 : It's more exciting to have two walls smashing together, not just one wall which would be more efficient; plus, throw in a garbage monster to remind the audience, at least subconsciously, of the movie Jaws which was only 2 years fresh in people's minds at the time Star Wars came out.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Maybe the same people who designed it with a flaw that lets one little shot take down the whole thing had trouble with mass.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Maybe the same people who designed it with a flaw that lets one little shot take down the whole thing had trouble with mass.
    Napoleon Dynamite could destroy it in 5 seconds, without using the Force.

My guess is that the Empire has a series of strategically located subjugated planets that serve as landfills. I doubt they would eject trash into space. Space junk is a problem for us here on Earth, and we've only been in space for 50 years...I can only imagine how bad the problem is for experienced spacefaring worlds. Therefore, the trash compactor is probably necessary to reduce volume for loading onto landing vessels.

I hate you people for making me think seriously about something like Star Wars. Grrrr.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    My guess is that the Empire has a series of strategically located subjugated planets that serve as landfills. I doubt they would eject trash into space. Space junk is a problem for us here on Earth, and we've only been in space for 50 years...I can only imagine how bad the problem is for experienced spacefaring worlds. Therefore, the trash compactor is probably necessary to reduce volume for loading onto landing vessels.
    Our space junk is an issue because we're confined to and mostly stay around a very specific and small area in space. In Star Wars, they travel between solar systems and seemingly can travel at the speed of light. Over that amount of space, junk shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe it has something to do with recycling the resources that are already onboard the ship.*

*though the real reason is clearly that they wanted a trash compactor scene and they didn't really think about.

Another thing that bugged me in that scene: how does that monster apparently survive the compacting process?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The Death Star destroys all, from your daily dumpload to your galactic civilization.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Our space junk is an issue because we're confined to and mostly stay around a very specific and small area in space. In Star Wars, they travel between solar systems and seemingly can travel at the speed of light. Over that amount of space, junk shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe it has something to do with recycling the resources that are already onboard the ship.*

*though the real reason is clearly that they wanted a trash compactor scene and they didn't really think about.

Another thing that bugged me in that scene: how does that monster apparently survive the compacting process?
    Apparently there is a free space below the walls that the garbage monster lives in.