Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post

@marmie: how could it be popular when the common people didn't have access to it for the most part? Most "technically good" music historically was commissioned by aristocrats.
    The aristocracy (and later the middle class) ...all they had in their favor was education. They weren't necessarily musicians themselves, that's absurd. And there are people who are not trained musicians who enjoy classical music.

I agree with you to some extent about "folk music" because more educated people tend to listen to a variety of music or more complex music, even if they also listen to folk music.

However, those educated people aren't always musically gifted or classically trained themselves.

And there's a big difference between the person who likes the popular artists I listed, and someone who listens to ONLY very repetitive pop or country music.

Me thinks you oversimplify.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I'm too stoned/laid back to a point where I end up not giving a f**k.... so whatever... I'm gonna do my own thing and to heck with the rest of the world.

Be you, be true. I am me, ILB.

Hey forum

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

blah...

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Why do Hipsters only listen to "non-mainstream" music? Then, once their favorite artist gets big (mainstream) they stop listening to them because they are too "mainstream" at that point. This seems like an illogical contradiction because many artists aspire to get to the top and make it "big" but it seems like they never could do this and be a true hipster. Discuss.
    Back off, Dood. What is so illogical about wearing thick black plastic glasses with no lenses and paying a 200% mark up on PBR because it's "ironic"?

This is what I think about your senseless jibes against hipsters in fake glasses:
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Back off, Dood. What is so illogical about wearing thick black plastic glasses with no lenses and paying a 200% mark up on PBR because it's "ironic"?

This is what I think about your senseless jibes against hipsters in fake glasses:
    Failure.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I don't really bother with attaching identity to indumentary or musical choices.
    Same, and I rather detest people who do. How can you claim to enjoy the thing-itself (anything, really, from music to ideas) when your preferences are functioning in the service of your ego? These people who do this are inauthentic from the start and incapable of experiencing pleasure or perceiving beauty.

Hipsters are perhaps the most obvious and gauche about engaging in this type of "my taste is my identity" shit, and yeah it's fucking annoying, but at least in their idiotic inability to detect their own hypocrisy they are more outwardly honest (not that they would be if they weren't so stupid) than some of the more insidiously pretentious people.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    GONE

I like fashionable people, I like people who aren't afraid to let some of your own style show. The term "hipster" has blown up so much it's almost as meaningless as "punk" especially when you Widen the demographic to include high schoolers. I give props where props are due, if you actually have some style sense I don't care what label you give yourself or others give you.

BTW the only cities where real hipsters live IMHO are LA, SF, NYC, and Richmond, VA which is inexplicably the birthplace of hipsterdom. Wearing skinny jeans and riding a fixie does not in my book a hipster make, but hey,at this point a hipster is whatever you want it to be.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I like people with style too. The majority of my friends I'm Dallas had style and appreciated art and great music and food and interesting places and having interesting talks n stuff.

Not one one of them gave a shit if my music was their music or what label my jeans were etc etc but pretty sure most people here would point them out as hipsters and I think it's silly/ stupid/ridiculous/ pointless.

But okay... There's all kinds of prejudices. I'm proud not to participate.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Can't honestly say that I have a problem with "hipsters", one way or another. I just consider it a bunch of people trying on personalities like one would try on different sweaters. In fact, it's probably a pretty convenient method of controlling the way that people view you; give them a convenient label to file you under and then get on with it. Also, it's a pretty good shortcut for "young and in the know" and the hipsters I know seem to get in to the most raucous parties or social gatherings by way of unwritten "hipster" dress codes.

They'll grow out of it eventually anyway, and then their future children or buddies can all point to photographs of them wearing stupid clothes and listening to pointless music and get a good laugh.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ISFP

We all want different things and build our identities/lives different ways. I think that the only offensive thing I possibly find about hipsters or anyone for that matter is when they don't respect that we all want different things in life. I've known some hippies that were really quite critical and not particularly open that we all have different paths in life to take. It's like a hypocrisy to not acknowledge that most humans have some type of identity and a group they build/conform themselves to. From my experience it seems we all do it. I'm not sure why it has to be thought of with hostility and not just humor that we're all so wrapped up with our own stories. The silliness of someone judging us based on our looks when we are so much more and the silliness of our doing the same. That in a way most of us want validation and to feel we're special or belong . . . to like see this in others and ourselves and be charitable that we all might feel truly good one day. It seems to me that when I start down the path of how this or that person is somehow foolish in this or that way it is like clinging to my own identity or a kinda insecurity that feels internally like lacking peace in my own life. Just my experience though. Have no idea how it is for other people.