User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I do wonder - is it possible to make music that is popular and has "artistic merit"?
    Well, of course it is. It happens all the time. But the sort of person described in the OP finds those terms largely incongruent.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

I know this is a bit off topic, but can people PM me links to good, new, popular music?

This thread just reminded me that I haven't just sat and listened to music in a long long time (we're talking many months).

I enjoy silence, but music is important too, I think.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, of course it is. It happens all the time. But the sort of person described in the OP finds those terms largely incongruent.
    Well, there's also people like some of my university staff, who believe that being mainstream means you have co-opted into a paradigm that strives to culturally perpetuate itself by clinging to the status quo. Or that art only has true merit when it challenges people's deeply held preconceptions, subverts their worldview and makes them uncomfortable.

I've no idea what to think of that. At least they're less self-absorbed than hipsters.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Some people call me a hipster/punk; that's kind of always been the case, but I never found a sense of ''identity'' around what others associated me with. Since it never mattered to me, I never gave it a lot of thought. My reasoning for my ''style'' was/is pretty simple; I've worn the same kind of sneakers since I was a kid, they're comfortable & I can order them online now, & know the size'll be consistent [I hate shopping/malls, etc. Just hectic, provokes anxiety]. I've always taken my pants in at the legs because I'm lanky & cant find any that fit properly [til skinny jeans came out]. Graphic teeshirts, or plain ones, are comfortable. Most of the stuff I pick out is silkscreened on dark cotton, & I'm grateful for that, because I'm a gangly klutz, spilling things on myself constantly. It doesn't help much that I'm naturally translucent pale with almost black hair, haha.

I've had pockets of friends with a variety of interests. When we were younger, some of them had elitist attitudes about certain types of music or clothing, or how it was worn. I always just ignored it. I saw the hipocracy in keeping up with the dress codes of others while telling yourself that you were ''rebelling'' against authority. Your authority is your herd.. it's just boring, and silly. I usually didn't bother trying to reason with my friends about such things, unless they were attempting to give me ''fashion advice.'' Everyone explores and expresses their identities differently, so I figure live & let live. If they're happy with what they're doing, I don't have to value it, or understand it the same way they do. Good for them, good for me.

I've had friends ask, if I feel that way, why do I continue to wear the things I do.. since they're often associated with those people, with ''hipsters.''
    ''Wouldn't the hipster thing to do be to stop doing something just because it got too ''cool'' with a given group of people?'' I'll jokingly respond. Other people's feelings about what I do or don't like has no impact on my preferences, that's all, I guess.

Either way, it's just clothes- I like what I like and don't give it much consideration, otherwise.. this post is about as indepth as I bother to go, in terms of analysis. I can't take shit like social genres that seriously.. I mean.. that's something people waste tons of energy on? is the thought I always return to.

..who.. ..fucking.. cares
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do wonder - is it possible to make music that is popular and has "artistic merit"?
    Of course.

Nirvana
    The Cure
    Nick Cave
    The Bauhaus
    The Church
    Tori Amos
    PJ Harvey
    Moby
    Santigold
    The xX
    MGMT
    Eminem
    Chaka Khan
    Marvin Gaye
    Adele

I mean...that's just the tip of the iceburg. I can't believe this is even a question, but I suppose it has to be.

I don't consider hipsterdom much anymore.

http://rookiemag.com/2012/01/how-to-...-think-of-you/
    "What such people don’t get is that most people who like more obscure music or wear vintage clothes don’t think of themselves as artsy, they’re just exploring and trying to define their taste instead of being someone who likes whatever is handed to them so they’re not mistaken for pretentious. I don’t like the term hipster—I think it’s become so broad as to apply to basically everyone—but the defining quality is that a hipster thinks and cares about what their tastes say about them, instead of just liking what they like. And so there is nothing more hipster than a person who decides that the only reason another person is wearing a colorful dress is that they’re concerned with what that dress means for their image. It’s hipster to give a shit if other people are hipsters or not; this is why people who claim they’re not hipsters are the most hipster of all, because they’re thinking that hard about it, and caring that much about what other people think."
    then there is the other side http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...pleasures.html
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

As long as the creator is making music that they love, whatever that means to them, and not diluting it to appeal to anyone else in particular, I'd still call it art, & not manufactured garbage. Sometimes it catches on, and a lot of people like it. Sometimes only a select group like it. There's a genre called ''noise'' - and while I can't stand it, I still consider it art/human expression. Some human expression is bound to be awesome or retarded to others; it's a coin toss, perhaps.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I don't consider hipsterdom much anymore.

http://rookiemag.com/2012/01/how-to-...-think-of-you/
    "What such people don’t get is that most people who like more obscure music or wear vintage clothes don’t think of themselves as artsy, they’re just exploring and trying to define their taste instead of being someone who likes whatever is handed to them so they’re not mistaken for pretentious. I don’t like the term hipster—I think it’s become so broad as to apply to basically everyone—but the defining quality is that a hipster thinks and cares about what their tastes say about them, instead of just liking what they like. And so there is nothing more hipster than a person who decides that the only reason another person is wearing a colorful dress is that they’re concerned with what that dress means for their image. It’s hipster to give a shit if other people are hipsters or not; this is why people who claim they’re not hipsters are the most hipster of all, because they’re thinking that hard about it, and caring that much about what other people think."
    then there is the other side http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...pleasures.html
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The only thing I could muster that would ethically admirable about it would be to reject anything that was corporate. Like music carried by corporations.

You'd have to be hyper-religious about being anti-corporate, though. It's better just to continue listening to the music, but circumvent it by stealing it or just watching it or listening to it for free on-line.

HAHAHAHA.

Okay but seriously musicians have to make money to live.

I dunno.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

No, because most people's brains aren't specialized to appreciate auditory complexity in the same way as great composers. It's the same with any human activity. Generally great composers write for themselves privately and hit more general overtones in their work for profit. Some of the greats find a way to transcend both worlds though
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.