Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@xisnotx

there is a way of liking labels that may seem pretentious, for example wearing hollister or listening to Justin bieber because your friends do...or even having the right car, like a Mercedes or a Lexus. But at least there's something sincere, open and honest about the people who admit they wear or purchase or listen to be socially in sync.

People who listen to things only when they aren't mainstream are an even more base and dishonest form of pretentiousNess, because they lie to others and possibly themselves that their motive for doing so is social. Its disingenuous and it makes me want to punch people in the face.

Id rather be near a sincere and honest conformist or social climber than some fuckface who pretends they aren't one.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Note that its cool to find new music or to support local bands but when you liked the miners more just because they were underground, that is a problem.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

isnt this hipster thing the one where you try to be different from others by trying to be similar to others who want to be different from others?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

ReflecTcelfeR

Why is there such a big aversion to being considered Hipster?

You will do what you want to do; why does it have to be logical?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    isnt this hipster thing the one where you try to be different from others by trying to be similar to others who want to be different from others?
    conforming in non-conformity...the grunge scene in the 90s was something similar which is why younger gen x-ers or older gen ys might notice something suspiciously familiar about this whole hipster thing.

That's probably the saddest thing about it, is that it vaguely replicates the early 90s while claiming to be original. At least 80s babies admit to being retro or nostalgic. Here I go again with these people annoying me for not plainly owning up to what they are.

Anyhoo, people bond and get off on an us versus them mentality, whatever shape it takes. Its just human nature.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    conforming in non-conformity...the grunge scene in the 90s was something similar which is why younger gen x-ers or older gen ys might notice something suspiciously familiar about this whole hipster thing.
    Hippies in the 60s and 70s, Punks in the 80s, grunge in the 90s, emo kids in the early 2000s. Been around for a while now.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Hippies in the 60s and 70s,

Punks in the 80s,

grunge in the 90s,

emo kids in the early 2000s.

The tendency of the evolution doesn't look good.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

That's probably the saddest thing about it, is that it vaguely replicates the early 90s while claiming to be original. At least 80s babies admit to being retro or nostalgic. Here I go again with these people annoying me for not plainly owning up to what they are.

Anyhoo, people bond and get off on an us versus them mentality, whatever shape it takes. Its just human nature.
    I believe that we are all conformist in some way or another. With the media constantly bombarding us with how to be or not to be, makes it hard for us to be our authentic selves. Hipsters have the right idea by rebelling against the mainstream, but are going about it the wrong way. Instead of going against the "mainstream", they should focus more on self improvement and growth. This would help them find their authentic self.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

sometimes "group non-conformists" are the worst conformists of all... we have an area of the city here where hipsters usually reside and work and such... I've had the misfortune of having that area as my sales route before... it was horrifying :horor: I actually ran across an eye doctor who sold non-prescription glasses to those who really didn't need them but wanted them for goodness sake!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I suppose different people put different premiums on things. Some might prefer recognition among a 'cool' crowd over recognition generally or resorting to some kind of empty, artless style to appease larger crowds.

I don't think the bands in general do strive for limited success, however. They're just in that place of semi-success.

And I have to second that with most hipsters I know it isn't about the actual art they are consuming, it's about establishing their unique relationship to it in order to make themselves more intersting complex (often artificially so). It's why they'll abandon music they love if it gets too large (or ignore a song they actually like by a major artist, at least publically) and also listen to, honestly, some pretty horrendous music in the name of faux experimentalism and originality.

It's a silly thing. I know a fair number of hipsters and a fair number of ex hipsters (late HS and early college seems like a big time for this and to their credit they've introduced me to both great and truly insufferable bands). The thing about them is the real goal there is creating this perception of themselves as some form of non-traditional, rebellious coolness.

In some ways it's the spiritual successor to, say, punk movements in the 80s (another group who had major concerns about 'sell outs') or the emo surge in the early 2000s. it's new and cool and a pretty simple (and in some ways appealing) way for a young person to try and define themselves.
    So what you are saying is that hipsters abandon music that they once loved once it becomes mainstream. The reason being is because they feel that when their favorite bands become famous, then the music is no longer about creativity anymore, but instead about prestige and recognition?