User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Because of server issues on Friday and still here and there some heavy lag issues (go into a fight, suddenly game stucks for several seconds and when it finally reacts again you are dead) on Saturday and Sunday I couldn't play too much. I reached level 7 or 8 with my Elementalist and also tried to play a Guardian up to level 3 or 4 I think.

I felt a bit lost in the game, since there was no tutorial. I am pretty sure they will add that before release of the game, as it was like that in GW1. Nowhere was described how the skill system works, I didn't find out where I can craft something with my crafting material I found tons of or where I can learn a job like cooking. I also didn't find out what the class teachers are good for. Somehow I also didn't know how I can write in team chat (I tried to write "/team hello" but that didn't work). And several little stuff.

The game itself didn't feel any like Guild Wars 1, but that was to be expected from what I heard before. It felt more like World of Warcraft and other MMORPGs. I only tried the PvE yet though, I have hopes that the PvP system will be great as it was in Guild Wars 1, although I heard a lot of negative comments about it so far, but I guess people need to learn the game first before judging a lot about PvP. And I wouldn't be surprised if they still add additional PvP modes, it was like that in GW1.

In PvE I liked the fact that you don't stand still and smash only buttons but that you have to move also. Especially when you are fighting in melee, you have to walk up to your enemy on your own and face him correctly, and since the enemy might move too you have to keep following him. As an Elementalist you are able to cast all your spells while moving, which is different to other RPGs. This adds some more action to the game. The dodging system I didn't get through yet, in the early levels there didn't seem much reason to dodge yet though, but I bet it will become important later on. In the mess of the overcrowded places it was hard to stay on top of things also. Great were also most of the AoE spells; in Guild Wars 1 they were always automatically cast on the target that you selected, and since most of them would move most AoE attacks would miss and be useless. But here you can choose your target for your AoE spells manually and anticipate where enemies will move into so that you will hit and deal great damage.

The quest system I don't know how to feel about yet. You don't have to talk to the quest npc anymore but just come near to him, this is practical but also removes a bit of atmosphere. The event system I didn't like yet. They were occuring far too often, so that I would see the same event several times in short time. The ones in the start of the game were not very exciting even on the first try also. When I remember having read previews and stuff where events were described as "memorable" events which greatly impact the world, I am really disappointed, they felt just like a normal quest which can be repeated all the time and they didn't seem to have any impact on the world either. I hope they will make the events more exciting and less frequent, and with more impact on the world. Maybe it was just the beginning which was lacking also, I didn't get far yet in the world.

Graphics were ok I guess when I look at with what kind of computer and thus low settings I played it. I feared that I would be unable to play the game because especially my graphics card (HD 3870) is quite outdated, but it was ok. It didn't run smoothly everywhere, but it was playable. I will buy in the next time some new hardware anyway though, and I hope the maximum detail settings will be as great as it was when Guild Wars 1 came out in its time. I heard they said that they still improve the graphics.

Character creation was nice, you could individualise a lot of your appearance.

So all in all I feel you can see everywhere in the game that it is still in the beta phase yet and not a finished product. I have trust in the developers though that they will fix the issues until release and make it more friendly for new players which didn't (intentionally*) didn't inform themselves about all the new mechanics yet.

*I wasn't sure if I even wanted to participate in the beta before release, because I wanted to prevent spoilers and keep the experience fresh when it comes out as a finished product. In the end I tried it out mainly to see how my computer can handle it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The second BWE starts today...and there was this news:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...8GV09P20120608

R.I.P. GW2. Nexon is going to turn the game into a Pay2Win game. It won't happen overnight, but it will eventually happen.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Can't wait to go home and get back in to it. Might just make a new character despite the fact the old ones are getting carried over, I probably forgot how to play the classes.

This comes just in time as Diablo III was getting stale for me, far more quickly than I thought it would have.

As to pay to win...I don't know. I'd like to think they wouldn't let that happen. But I hope not.

MBTI
    STUF

It's a 14% stake, it's nowhere near enough to have their grubby fingers on the overall structure of the game. You should all be preparing for Planetside 2, anyway.
    Whoops.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    It's a 14% stake, it's nowhere near enough to have their grubby fingers on the overall structure of the game. You should all be preparing for Planetside 2, anyway.
    I disagree. It doesn't take a 50+% stake to alter the direction of a company. 14.7% is a significant stake in a company of that size.

Jock: I think ArenaNet would resist making the game Pay2Win as much as they possibly could, but stockholders control the money which gives them ultimate authority.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I had a great time on this beta, the last two were a bit lackluster but this one I really got into it.

I found my role and build for my necro and the WvW was EPIC! Even though there was a massive player difference between us, (the greens), the blues and then the horde of reds, it was still immense fun.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

8/28/12, or 8/25/12 if you pre-purchased.

http://www.arena.net/blog/announcing...-2-launch-date

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I disagree. It doesn't take a 50+% stake to alter the direction of a company. 14.7% is a significant stake in a company of that size.

Jock: I think ArenaNet would resist making the game Pay2Win as much as they possibly could, but stockholders control the money which gives them ultimate authority.
    So far so good, ArenaNet has made some aspects of the cash shop more player friendly (particularly the dye system). That's a good sign.

There's another stress test today. I'll probably log my character in and do nothing because I'm tired of playing characters I won't get to keep...and headstart is 3.5 days away. I've been waiting for this thing so long, it still hasn't sunk in that the game is actually going to be live in a few days.

Permabanned

is guild wars an MMO or will it be free?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    is guild wars an MMO or will it be free?
    It's an MMO. It's not free, but there is no monthly subscription fee. You buy the box ($60) and you can play forever.