• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

U.F.C Violence

xisnotx

Permabanned
I'm just waiting for the lions.

Of the times I've watched I've been shocked at how brutal it is...not that it's brutality is inherently horrible...just shocking.

Who wakes up in the morning and thinks to themselves "You know what I want to do? I want to beat the crap out of someone.."?

I'm not sure if they just didn't think they had a better option to survive, or if they genuinely think their choice of lifestyle is honorable.

Maybe I should become an MMA fighter...it would be the best way to answer those questions. I'm pretty sure I could take on a lion...would I get paid to do so?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Who wakes up in the morning and thinks to themselves "You know what I want to do? I want to beat the crap out of someone.."?

Apparently I do.

I'm not sure if they just didn't think they had a better option to survive, or if they genuinely think their choice of lifestyle is honorable.

What are you trying to say here?

Pro fighters love what they do. Unless you're a fan favorite, a top contender or a champion you don't make very much at all.

They certainly think their choice is honorable.

And I wouldn't disagree.

Do you?

Maybe I should become an MMA fighter...it would be the best way to answer those questions.

You might like it.

I'm pretty sure I could take on a lion...would I get paid to do so?

Whats the deal with the lions?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
A thing to remember about people who fight at UFC. They do it willingly. They apparently like it, so why not. I mean it's better that people fight willingly against eachother in cages than in streets. I myself don't like to watch so brutal sport but it's their choice (to fight) and I respect that.

The other thing is that I don't think seeing such brutal violence is good for the children of certain age and it's not good for those people who watch it and then try it on practice to other people who aren't willingly participating (meaning that they would beat up somebody just to try it out, out of the cage).

I believe UFC fighters are the modern day gladiators. There will always be men around who enjoy the physical contact sport and fighting.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I don't like UFC. It appears to me that there is far more gratuitous damage done in this sport than in others that are similar, such as boxing. I believe that there are other effective ways of demonstrating the skill these fighters possess without such great risk of injuries. In particular, I find the allowance of head shots disturbing because of the risk fighters are taking with multiple concussions. While other sports are tightening their rules in an attempt to prevent head injuries, UFC seems to glorify it.

That being said, I do not see any benefit in trying to ban it. You might as well try to ban war by prohibiting news coverage. A certain subset of the population lives for this stuff, and short of changing human nature they will continue to do so. Take away this outlet, which has at least some rules and standards, and it will move underground, becoming even more dangerous for participants.

you're wrong boxing is much more damaging because of the 10 second stand up rule. The boxer gets knocked down and is forced to stand up and take more shots to the head. In UFC once you're knocked out the fight is over. The ground game isn't as bad as people usually think because these are trained professionals they know how to fight and defend off their back. Some fighters such as Nogueira prefer to fight off their back because that is their biggest strength.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
A thing to remember about people who fight at UFC. They do it willingly. They apparently like it, so why not. I mean it's better that people fight willingly against eachother in cages than in streets. I myself don't like to watch so brutal sport but it's their choice (to fight) and I respect that.

The other thing is that I don't think seeing such brutal violence is good for the children of certain age and it's not good for those people who watch it and then try it on practice to other people who aren't willingly participating (meaning that they would beat up somebody just to try it out, out of the cage).

I believe UFC fighters are the modern day gladiators. There will always be men around who enjoy the physical contact sport and fighting.

Its not really all that brutal it's a very very technical game that requires a ton of training and skill.

dala

MBTI Type
intp
After reading some of the posts here, I did a bit of research and found that I was misinformed as to the dangers of boxing in comparison to other sports, probably because my only experience with it is in much lower levels (my brother was in a boxing club when we were kids). I still believe that UFC is more gratuitously violent than boxing and most other martial arts (in terms of damage being done for the sake of the crowd, rather than incidentally), but I would object to a person I care about boxing as strongly as I would object to them participating in UFC.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Its not really all that brutal it's a very very technical game that requires a ton of training and skill.

For a strong F it looks very brutal + my husband (ISTP) very often watches UFC, so I know how it looks like (+he has trained freefighting few years back). ;) I do think it's quite brutal when you hit other person with your elbow until he passes out. It feels bad for me (empathy) and I'm not even the one fighting. :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
If NYC can ban soda and lunch carts, it can surely ban MMA.

NYC ain't scared of King Kong! It surely doesn't care about UFC fighters staring it down.

Ummm, as far a ny state :shrug:

I understand your concerns [MENTION=15538]godscollie[/MENTION]

On a side note, learning some of the moves commonly used in UFC like locks and holds is very useful for self defense if you get attacked.