User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: U.F.C Violence

Quote Originally Posted by godscollie View Post
    I am all for choke holds and submission holds

hawt
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    You clearly are not a fighter (godscollie).
    I certainly do not mind the misconception

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have only a certain capacity for boredom.
    And for proper diction, but I digress.

like you don't even know who has mounted who and who is in prime position etc
    But I do know, I trained for 2 years under Sifu Kenny Barry in Combat Submission Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu, and under Darwin Vasay in Muay Thai.

I know what I'm talking about.

is it right to broadcast to millions a man smashing his elbows into another man's head whilst than man is underneath him?
    If the audience is properly notified as to the content of the upcoming programing, I have no problem with it.

I don't think it's right or wrong.

I think right and wrong is a pretty subjective basis on which to determine TV broadcasting allowances.

I have a right as a father to push for seriously violent acts not to be displayed to the public.
    I would say that you have the right as a US citizen to advocate for your cause in whichever (legal) way you see fit, but I don't think you are a US citizen.

But wherever you are, I'm sure the populace has the right to advocate issues, so yes you do have that right.

I don't see how being a father plays into it.

You are trying to deflect this into a who knows more about the fighting arts argument
    No I was trying to show you all the ways the ban you propose would ruin the SPORT of MMA.

i would like to see this removed from the sport.
    And you are entitled to your opinion.

In the same way that I am entitled to my opinion that your proposed ban would ruin the sport and make it much less marketable, not to mention that your moral objection to ground and pound is ridiculous.

MBTI
    INTP

I certainly am going to make a moral decay argument when you watch another man smash his elbows into an opponents head till he looses consciousness whilst mounted over him. The rest of what you said is like you are teaching me martial arts practises like you don't even know who has mounted who and who is in prime position etc your trying to rubbish a simple is it right to broadcast to millions a man smashing his elbows into another man's head whilst than man is underneath him? I have see U.F.C so don't try to make me believe something i have seen with my own eyes doesn't happen.The ref is slow to stop it, like i have said I have seen men go unconscious from a succession of elbows to head and temple, and the elbow i believe is the second hardest bone in the body after the thigh. You are trying to deflect this into a who knows more about the fighting arts argument, who cares? I didn't even call for a ban i just said i would like to see this removed from the sport. And yes definitely what's next?

You keep on telling me about there personal rights, signed agreements etc like i care about there rights? I have a right as a father to push for seriously violent acts not to be displayed to the public. full stop.

please don't take me through various fighting forms etc I have only a certain capacity for boredom.
    This is not a morality issue

It is an issue of skill and talent

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    hawt
    I do not know what hawt means?

Now you have brought what i said to my attention i am not sure about choke holds . When the airway to the brain is properly cut off by a choke hold to avoid damage to the brain it must be released after about three seconds. The reaction i believe to properly having the air supply to the brain cut off is to tap out or go limp but maybe this isn't right either. My main disgust was the use of the elbow in a certain situation
    hence i made the post. Maybe it should be grapple and submission only and take to your feet when the action becomes stagnant. I never argued one point designed to completely refine the rules of the U.F.C i was simply pointing out where the action takes to common street violence at its worst.

Now you have brought what i said to my attention i am not sure about choke holds . When the airway to the brain is properly cut off by a choke hold to avoid damage to the brain it must be released after about three seconds. The reaction i believe to properly having the air supply to the brain cut off is to tap out or go limp but maybe this isn't right either. My main disgust was the use of the elbow in a certain situation
    hence i made the post. Maybe it should be grapple and submission only and take to your feet when the action becomes stagnant. I never argued one point designed to completely refine the rules of the U.F.C i was simply pointing out where the action takes to common street violence at its worst.
    <3, tell me more
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If you're blocking the airway, you're doing it wrong.

Your goal with a choke is to block one, or preferably both carotid arteries in the neck, thereby depriving the brain of blood. If done properly you'll be unconscious within 5 seconds.

In pro fights, air chokes will almost never cut the mustard, and (barring having someones back and going for the rear naked choke) they usually don't work. Air chokes are painful as shit though, and generally are one of the least fun things one can endure in the ring.

Either way, I still think ground and pound is perfectly reasonable.

I understand not wanting little kids to watch UFC, but that's what the rating system and broadcasting standards are for.

And it looks, like cable television agrees with me... UFC, Fox reach 7 year ($700 million) deal

Banned
    MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If you're blocking the airway, you're doing it wrong.

Your goal with a choke is to block one, or preferably both carotid arteries in the neck, thereby depriving the brain of blood. If done properly you'll be unconscious within 5 seconds.

In pro fights, air chokes will almost never cut the mustard, and (barring having someones back and going for the rear naked choke) they usually don't work. Air chokes are painful as shit though, and generally are one of the least fun things one can endure in the ring.

Either way, I still think ground and pound is perfectly reasonable.

I understand not wanting little kids to watch UFC, but that's what the rating system and broadcasting standards are for.

And it looks, like cable television agrees with me... UFC, Fox reach 7 year ($700 million) deal
    Your right it is the blood supply, been years since i have applied or had one applied on me. the effect is quite dramatic and instant and I only know one way out if you quick enough and on your feet when it is applied. It's basically the lock that Hulk Hogan goes down to and then pounds his fist against the mat while the crowd cheer and then rises and shakes the other wrestler off with an elbow or something. If the lock was fully applied the brain shuts down but it makes good wrestling tv.

You obviously know your martial arts but i am not going round the houses on this. I stick to my opener smashing your elbow into someone's head who has been mounted and
    could be??? (so i don't have to hear about the various positions) defenceless is sickening to watch, Obviously your capacity for watching real life violence is much higher than mine. I have viewed three of four elbows to the temple before the ref stepped in. If i hadn't seen it i wouldn't have posted the thread. I will not change my mind that it is just sickening and should be banned from the sport.

700 million dollar deal. Are we witnessing the death of the noble art of boxing to be replaced by trained street fighting and barbaric floor elbowing knock outs.

basically all this ground and pound philosophy amounts to the same thing. You like watching sickening violence nice. And you were good enough to point out children will have to wait to view it for themselves by which time it will be even more popular and the violence even worse in our chase the money first society. I was asked earlier what being a father has to do with this? hopefully that answers your question.

This society isn't going to do a Roman? Wish i had as much faith as you.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp

I don't like UFC. It appears to me that there is far more gratuitous damage done in this sport than in others that are similar, such as boxing. I believe that there are other effective ways of demonstrating the skill these fighters possess without such great risk of injuries. In particular, I find the allowance of head shots disturbing because of the risk fighters are taking with multiple concussions. While other sports are tightening their rules in an attempt to prevent head injuries, UFC seems to glorify it.

That being said, I do not see any benefit in trying to ban it. You might as well try to ban war by prohibiting news coverage. A certain subset of the population lives for this stuff, and short of changing human nature they will continue to do so. Take away this outlet, which has at least some rules and standards, and it will move underground, becoming even more dangerous for participants.