User Tag List

First 122021222324 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Well I mean it didn't happen with D2. And the combat is still really fun, there's just some design problems that are forcing player behavior into doing un-fun things as part of the path of least resistance to progress. The people "ahead" of you in the gear grind end up being the ones farming gear for you and tossing it up on the Auction House, so anything that drops for you is never as good as something you can specifically buy. So gold farming has become more valuable than loot runs...which sort of defeats a lot of the fun.

Might as well make 10k/minute breaking pots with no risk of death and repair bills than try to farm loot that's at best a sidegrade.
    I think that's all a matter of personal preference. I know 1-2 people who are jar farming, but most find it more profitable to kill shit and get loot. I've been farming Act III. Kill 5 packs of elites for 5 stack Nephalem valor, put on my Magic Find set, then roll into Azmodan's room and punch him in the face. Sure, 9 times out of 10 the loot you pick up is a sidegrade and ends up getting salvaged or sold... But that every once and awhile when you pick up a legendary? Makes it well worth it. And that IS exactly what D2 was. Inferno mode Pony Level is actually also really profitable. I know people who are just farming rainbow unicorns.

I don't think jar farming is superior at all.*

*Unless you're in Hardcore
    Last edited by Patches; 06-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

heres some inferno with my cheapo dh

and nm rakkis crossing with 49lvl sorc
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm playing it on hardcore. Lost a level 60 monk in act 1 inferno and after that a level 59 monk in hell act 3. Was leveling up too reckless. :P

Leveling my third monk now.

Hardcore is what makes the game for me though, if it didn't have hardcore I'd probably not be playing it after one playthrough.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I think that's all a matter of personal preference. I know 1-2 people who are jar farming, but most find it more profitable to kill shit and get loot. I've been farming Act III. Kill 5 packs of elites for 5 stack Nephalem valor, put on my Magic Find set, then roll into Azmodan's room and punch him in the face. Sure, 9 times out of 10 the loot you pick up is a sidegrade and ends up getting salvaged or sold... But that every once and awhile when you pick up a legendary? Makes it well worth it. And that IS exactly what D2 was. Inferno mode Pony Level is actually also really profitable. I know people who are just farming rainbow unicorns.

I don't think jar farming is superior at all.*

*Unless you're in Hardcore
    It is for me, so far. Although I'm only in Act II Inferno right now, just trying to get past it, skipping the packs and in to Act III. My gear isn't fantastic but my stats are okay enough. Jar farming is good early to gear up for Acts III and IV but once you get there, then yeah the drops I'm sure are better. I'm buying a good offensive MF set piece by piece. But for now...jar farming.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I've always wondered what could keep people interested in diablo for so long while playing softcore. And now I see Jock is a softcore farmer as well!?

This is interesting! Do you have a certain goal you are working towards, Jock? What interests you so much that you keep playing diablo? As an INTP no less!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I've always wondered what could keep people interested in diablo for so long while playing softcore. And now I see Jock is a softcore farmer as well!?

This is interesting! Do you have a certain goal you are working towards, Jock? What interests you so much that you keep playing diablo? As an INTP no less!
    I'll gear up to beat Diablo on Inferno and hang around a bit until the PvP patch is released to see if it's interesting. After that, I'll probably shelve the game and play Guild Wars 2. And repeat the cycle. Once I cap out on these things I tend to lose interest. The end games to these sorts of gear based games really aren't for me.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's funny, I always wondered what could keep people interested in hardcore. I don't know if I'd want to keep playing after losing a character I spent so much time levelling/etc. But then, I don't know if I'll stick around that long after I manage to beat inferno, which will probably take a good while since I'm still in hell (and I refuse to gold farm, that's not really my style). We'll see what the game looks like then.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'll gear up to beat Diablo on Inferno and hang around a bit until the PvP patch is released to see if it's interesting. After that, I'll probably shelve the game and play Guild Wars 2. And repeat the cycle. Once I cap out on these things I tend to lose interest. The end games to these sorts of gear based games really aren't for me.
    Why don't you try hardcore though. It's exhillirating. And the only way diablo is meant to be played in my opinion.

Disclaimer though, once you go hardcore, you can't go back.

It's funny, I always wondered what could keep people interested in hardcore. I don't know if I'd want to keep playing after losing a character I spent so much time levelling/etc. But then, I don't know if I'll stick around that long after I manage to beat inferno, which will probably take a good while since I'm still in hell.
    Well, maybe it's because I'm from the old arcade game era, where you had to start all over if you died. But hardcore is one bit adrenaline rush for me. And losing items? They are just some pixels on your screen man. It's unhealthy to get attached to ingame items in my opinion. Just see them as a means to an end, nothing more. xD

I'm also glad they made the game as tough as it is. Because in diablo 2, I got bored because once you got some items, you basicly became immortal. And the leveling part was the only fun part of diablo 2, whereas endgame was boring. But with inferno, endgame won't be boring for a long time on hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Why don't you try hardcore though. It's exhillirating. And the only way diablo is meant to be played in my opinion.

Disclaimer though, once you go hardcore, you can't go back.
    Haha, I think I will at some point. I did this in the beta obviously and it was far more tense/fun. However, I can see going forward that I will absolutely FLIP MY SHIT when I get killed due to me not paying attention. Just talking about it has planted the seed though...

Damn you Fluffy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't understand how people can play as much as Patches does (or more). I can't play more than 2 hours before I start feeling like I have to get up and do something else.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."