• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cool Story Bro

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] you said you were going to punch [MENTION=9214]KDude[/MENTION] for comparing Lana Del Rey to Nancy Sinatra, and you keep talking about her lips of all stupid things.

So that's why I interpret your behavior as "annoyed" or "irrational hate."

Ingrid in grids

Hm. My sister saw Lana Del Rey last week when she was in L.A. Lana turned up alone to the restaurant alone where my sister and her friend were dining (the restaurant is notorious for celebrity spotting, and many people go there for that reason). She put her vintage 1960s sedan (windows down, playing her own music) into valet (did not turn off own music), then took a seat outside to eat a salad, dressed in full vintage, red puckers and salon-fresh hair. Lunch itself seemed to be a promotional activity. She's just very gimmicky, and for this reason I don't think she'll last long as an artist. Maybe she might retire from music and move into fashion. I think she would do well in fashion. She seems quite artistic nonetheless.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Hm. My sister saw Lana Del Rey last week when she was in L.A. Lana turned up alone to the restaurant alone where my sister and her friend were dining (the restaurant is notorious for celebrity spotting, and many people go there for that reason). She put her vintage 1960s sedan (windows down, playing her own music) into valet (did not turn off own music), then took a seat outside to eat a salad, dressed in full vintage, red puckers and salon-fresh hair. Lunch itself seemed to be a promotional activity. She's just very gimmicky, and for this reason I don't think she'll last long as an artist. Maybe she might retire from music and move into fashion. I think she would do well in fashion. She seems quite artistic nonetheless.

Lol sounds like a scene from a comedy or a teen movie.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i thought she was obnoxious since a bunch of people started linking to her first music video on facebook (all gay men actually), and then the snl performance just confirmed it for me. then i read an interview with her where she actually said that she didn't care about having a music career that much and it's something that just "happened." like there aren't millions of musicians more talented than her who would love the opportunities she's (unfairly) had.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I'm not sure if you guys don't "get" her, or if you simply don't appreciate her. Because to me it looks like you don't "get" it.

She's trying to restore old Hollywood glamour. Celebrities have become more and more "average" and "accessible" and she doesn't want to be that.

I would think that would be obvious from not only her music but her fashion that her entire niche is 1920's - 1960's Americana. Old Hollywood. Old glamour - mystery, theater.

This generation in some subcultures seems opposed to theater, and that's probably also why they don't appreciate Lady Gaga perhaps.

The thing is that Lana Del Rey is clearly authentic, because Americana has obviously been her long-term interest, even when she was making music as Lizzie Grant and making video collaborations when she was 17.

Marilyn Monroe was was Norma Jean Dougherty. I get it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:rolleyes: there isn't a whole lot to "get." just because you like her and other people don't doesn't mean that everyone else is missing out on some deeper meaning that we're just not able to grasp. i understand what her shtick is and what image she's trying to portray, i just think she fails at it.

amy winehouse did a similar thing, appropriated an old school image/sound but she managed to put her own personality into it and make it modern. like i said before, lana del rey doesn't even give a fuck about being a musician and you can tell that because there's a lack of passion and confidence.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure if you guys don't "get" her, or if you simply don't appreciate her. Because to me it looks like you don't "get" it.

I haven't seen any indication that people don't get her. It's not that hard. It's possible to get her and still think she's a phony or that her music stinks. I had never heard of her before seeing her perform on SNL, and I thought she was terrible. I also think she does give off a very affected vibe. It's like she stepped out of an Etsy store.

You said that people enjoy Madonna or David Bowie and that they also trade in personas, and that's true. But those two SELL the personas and commit. Lana Del Rey strikes me as someone trying on clothes who isn't sure what looks good on her. Madonna and Bowie found outfits that they KNOW they rock.

Del Rey just strikes me as a dilettante and someone who isn't even all that interested in music, which is her putative profession. You can like her style and her aura and that's fine; and maybe for you and other people who like her, the music is just the soundtrack accompanying the real product, which is her Lana Del Rey-ness. But none of that makes her a good artist, and it's not unfair or missing the point to judge a musician on music.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She's more caricature than embodiment.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like her because I don't like her lyrics (on their own, they sound like Katy Perry song lyrics; very, well, not good) & the music does nothing for me. I think she has a nice voice, and her image doesn't bother me so much as the apparent intent to manipulate the audience into thinking she is "indie". She isn't, that's fine, but why pretend? Because that's the market she was trying to hook, since it suits her persona. That market will backlash harder than most because it's all wrapped up in "authenticity".

We were discussing her type on an INFP board (where some suggested she might be INFP; I didn't agree), and apparently "Lana Del Rey" is a persona created to be a caricature of what society expects of women (hence, the retro elements & bad lyrics, I guess). This idea is straight from Lizzie Grant's own words in some blog essay, or whatever it was. However, this essay struck me as a defense against the criticism of this persona, because I think the persona was meant to be some kind of hipster/indie Hope Sandoval (of Mazzy Star, and who is likely IxFP) kind of image. People saw through it, and now she's sort of backtracking & claiming something else. This persona adopting strikes me as INFJ. So did the essay itself, which explains the persona. Her persona now seems to be an ISFJ (prototypical woman - non-threatening), but I think it was meant to be ISFP. She failed at coming off as ISFP because of the whole authenticity bit. Once she was exposed as very contrived & trying to manipulate people, then it was better to claim another purpose other than "I was trying to cash in on an indie image & failed". In the interviews people posted, she seems to cop a total SiFe image now in what she says - very past-oriented, sentimental, focused on what is familiar, etc; yet her essay was notably more analytical, critical of society, focused on challenging people's attitudes, etc. It sounded kind of self-righteous, and like she thinks she's trolling people.

People don't like being trolled....

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lana Del Rey is a diva. She's like a drag queen who actually has a vagina. I met a guy this week who loves Lana Del Rey, Adele and Lily Allen as much as I do. I am unsurprised that [MENTION=7991]chana[/MENTION]'s gay friends love Lana.

Either you get it or you don't. I don't think all people who act or create an image are fake, unauthentic, or FJ.

I actually like her music, I think it's weird that [MENTION=325]EffEmDoubleyou[/MENTION] would think I only like her "aura" just because I do..I also like her music, and wake up in the morning sometimes and listen to five of her songs. I listen to some of her songs on repeat.

Madonna and Bowie just didn't have the press coverage 30-40 years ago of the Internet that Lana del Rey has. You could play in personas and develop different images and go relatively unnoticed until you found a niche that worked in the 70's and 80's (and before that), like how Pat Benetar was once told she sounded too much like Julie Andrews to do rock and roll...yes, she was an opera singer, and the footage of some of her performances before she became the Pat Benetar people KNOW would probably shock you.

Eh, whatever. Art is very subjective, and I know people who think 30 Seconds to Mars is pretentious and I love them. I already mentioned how I feel about Panic! at the Discos first album...and did anyone notice how much they CHANGED from their first to second albums?

I don't know if it's Si or what, but it's almost like people want an artist to be ONE WAY consistently, which is absurd.

Why can't an artist re-create themselves and have personas? To me it means that a person is more creative that they are capable of doing this, like they have more range and imagination.

Then again, I also like Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgwick.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I need to remove 90% of you off of my friends list.

Last edited:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just want to mention that I talk to [MENTION=5510]simulatedworld[/MENTION] sometimes, and he is a real musician...he's been in quite a few bands, and not all of them did the same type of music, and he has a pretty firm grasp on how what people like musically is what they like, and yes, musicians have to make money, it's not like something you do for the hell of it.

I'd like to talk to him about Lana del Rey, because I've even seen him defend Justin Bieber.

Adele can actually sing though, and Lily Allen is hilarious.

I do like Video Games, her take on the vintage stuff is kind of unoriginal but still moderately pleasant to look at/listen to.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Adele can actually sing though, and Lily Allen is hilarious.

I do like Video Games, her take on the vintage stuff is kind of unoriginal but still moderately pleasant to look at/listen to.

I will admit to this.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I also love the person in the comments who complains that Lana del Rey is middle class but pretends to be from a trailer park. Trailer parks are Americana, bro. I'm not sure she ever PRETENDS to be from a trailer park, but touches on it as being the part of the underlying American cultural consciousness.

I love that person almost as much as the dipshit who makes the David Lynch comment.

It just confirms my bias that some people JUST DON'T GET IT.

I :heart: the wool of the king.