User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Cool Story Bro

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    She's not nearly compelling enough for all that.
    Yup. I thought it was such a outrageous remark, I couldn't even comment on it.
    It's not only Kdude that has mentioned this. The comparisons have been made in articles about vagina-lips a few times, which makes it even sadder.

Sorry @KDude, but I'm going to have to punch you.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Yup. I thought it was such a outrageous remark, I couldn't even comment on it.
    It's not only Kdude that has mentioned this. The comparisons have been made in articles about vagina-lips a few times, which makes it even sadder.

I can take it.

Anyways, I'm not talking about quality. Just the style and production.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I like Lana Del Rey and I find her little world charming. She makes some of her own videos, and I think her "old Hollywood" obsession is fun, and I find her lyrics vulnerable and honest, something that is rare in today's society of emotional detachment, divorce, living alone, and ridiculing people for needing other people, or for not moving along quickly.

Also, I think some women feel threatened by the fact that her sexuality is so traditionally submissive, and she plays on the whole "gangster moll" stereotype of the early 20th century U.S.

I'm used to people not necessarily being able to appreciate the art of someone who does have more production involved, like Panic! at the Disco for example. I still love their first album six years later, I find it fucking impressive that some seventeen year olds put it together.

To each their own.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What's the problem? Nancy Sinatra had a rich famous daddy who helped her. Lana del Rey's daddy is just rich.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also, any retard remarks about her re-inventing herself or changing her name don't hold water. Madonna and David Bowie were not born as such, and neither have had a consistent image.

Even new wave-synth pop-early 80's rock queen Pat Benatar began singing opera.

The difference between then and now is that people are much too highly informed every ten seconds by the Internet, so they have utterly unreasonable expectations of people.

Not liking her music is fine, that's an aesthetic personal preference, but all of this bashing of her actually appears to me kind of like a trendy-fuck mob mentality, like it's cool to hate Lana Del Rey, you don't want to be discovered in the closet listening to one of her songs.

As someone who shamelessly listens to Eastern European polka techno, I don't give flying fuck. I immediately liked her.

I made a whole mix tape for a friend that had music like this.. music for "Fembots".

I like that she gets in character though. Or like you said, with Bowie or Madonna.. they always put some image out there to associate with the music. Like Bowie had Ziggy Stardust, then a stoic German stage, etc.. My favorite band in the world (the Misfits) was part act/part music. I kind of like Kiss for the same reason. Rock bands don't do it much anymore.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is interesting too, from 2007, has kind of an old West Virginia/Kentucky/Tennessee Appalachian mountain girl sound. Her accent isn't bad at all.

I appreciate her musical flexibility.

I think this also proves there's nothing "contrived" about her newer image which also heavily relies on Americana and the roles of women in the past, romanticized.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    What's the problem? Nancy Sinatra had a rich famous daddy who helped her. Lana del Rey's daddy is just rich.
    Having a rich daddy is unrelated to talent. Nancy Sinatra is a legend for a reason. Lana will unlikely be remembered in two years time. She constantly slurs and pouty-mumbles her the words to her song, which is bad. I don't care about the reinventing, or the name change, the worst part is her uncomfortable-to-watch attempt at coming off as sexy and deep yet aloof that makes most of us cringe.
    Her voice/rhythm is always off from the beat, and sounds extremely lazy in contrast. I understand why some would like her because she does come off as edgy(dear god her live performances are terrible), and her style is slightly different from what is coming out today, however, I am even more understanding of why so many people can't stand her.

Edit: The most annoying part about her, is her constant denial of getting anything done(more specifically her lips). She must think the world is stupid. Just own up to it. Gefus.

Lana will unlikely be remembered in two years time. She constantly slurs and pouty-mumbles her the words to her song, which is bad. I don't care about the reinventing, or the name change, the worst part is her uncomfortable-to-watch attempt at coming off as sexy and deep yet aloof that makes most of us cringe.
    Her voice/rhythm is always off from the beat, and sounds extremely lazy...
    It worked for bob dylan, tom waits and eddie vedder.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”