First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    While I liked the "saving the galaxy" storyline of the originals, I agree with you that the prequels had the meatier, more intriguing storyline. But the execution was *awful*. I mean, just terrible. There was more potential, but much less follow-through. Nonsensical plot holes/explanations, bad writing, ghastly dialog, deux-ex-machina explanations of stuff that didn't need explaining, "let's make an uneccesary character(s) to sell toys" -- all of that was in the prequels, in spades.

If you doubt me, go back and watch any of the "romance" scenes, especially in episode 2. If you can get through that without cringing, you're more forgiving than I am.
    Well, hmm, maybe it's just because I'm an Ne-user and not a T? I just see the whole picture for what it is rather than analyze it (except Anakin's character, which I was able to deduce through making connections with all the info I had).

But, as for the romance scene, I see what you mean, but I still understand what it's trying to convey. After all, I think most romance scenes in movies are sub-par.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Empire Strikes back is better.

I do like Episode 2 the best of 1 - 3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

While I liked the "saving the galaxy" storyline of the originals, I agree with you that the prequels had the meatier, more intriguing storyline. But the execution was *awful*. I mean, just terrible. There was more potential, but much less follow-through. Nonsensical plot holes/explanations, bad writing, ghastly dialog, deux-ex-machina explanations of stuff that didn't need explaining, "let's make an uneccesary character(s) to sell toys" -- all of that was in the prequels, in spades.

If you doubt me, go back and watch any of the "romance" scenes, especially in episode 2. If you can get through that without cringing, you're more forgiving than I am.
    I tend to agree story-wise, but yeah, the execution was awful beyond belief. They could have made so much out of this story (even there are still many holes and inconsistencies / stuff that's just plain unbelieveable to me, and I love Star Wars). Too much just seemed slapped together instead of fully developed. The worst part of it all is definitely the guy that plays Anakin Skywalker. My standard by which all bad acting is measured.

To anyone who doesn't like the prequel movies, I recommend reading the books. Especially the one to Episode 1 was surprisingly good (and yes, Jar Jar Binks is annoying as hell even in text form).

Still, the old ones are the best. They have the Empire - by far the coolest element in the entire Star Wars universe to me.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Random question: Who is that guy with the pink suit in your avatar?
    It's a still from the animated French film "The Illusionist" (2010). It's the main character from that.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I tend to agree story-wise, but yeah, the execution was awful beyond belief. They could have made so much out of this story (even there are still many holes and inconsistencies / stuff that's just plain unbelieveable to me, and I love Star Wars). Too much just seemed slapped together instead of fully developed. The worst part of it all is definitely the guy that plays Anakin Skywalker. My standard by which all bad acting is measured.

To anyone who doesn't like the prequel movies, I recommend reading the books. Especially the one to Episode 1 was surprisingly good (and yes, Jar Jar Binks is annoying as hell even in text form).

Still, the old ones are the best. They have the Empire - by far the coolest element in the entire Star Wars universe to me.
    Oh my goodness, I hope "the Empire" is not your sole reason for preferring the first series. It had everything in it that the prequels lack. "The Empire" is just a thing, you might as well have said it had the Death Star, another cool thing.

What the original series has that the prequels lack is a heroic story arc that people can care about, along with likable characters who can act.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    The worst part of it all is definitely the guy that plays Anakin Skywalker. My standard by which all bad acting is measured.
    You know what, though? I actually don't blame any of the actors. Lucas *wanted* those performances. Look at Natalie Portman -- an academy award winning actor -- and then go watch some of those scenes. Just awful. Lucas liked the old B-movie science fiction stories of his youth, and was always aiming for the same feel -- however bad it was. Most of the actors in the prequels, in anything else, are rather good (that goes for Hamill/Ford/Fisher, too -- although they didn't sink quite so low as the prequel actors did). So I don't fault Hayden Christiansen too much (even though I don't recall him in much else), and as for Jake Lloyd -- well, he was just a kid. They just weren't Harrison Ford -- who apparently simply changed dialog that he found *too* bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

You know what, though? I actually don't blame any of the actors. Lucas *wanted* those performances. Look at Natalie Portman -- an academy award winning actor -- and then go watch some of those scenes. Just awful. Lucas liked the old B-movie science fiction stories of his youth, and was always aiming for the same feel -- however bad it was. Most of the actors in the prequels, in anything else, are rather good (that goes for Hamill/Ford/Fisher, too -- although they didn't sink quite so low as the prequel actors did). So I don't fault Hayden Christiansen too much (even though I don't recall him in much else), and as for Jake Lloyd -- well, he was just a kid. They just weren't Harrison Ford -- who apparently simply changed dialog that he found *too* bad.
    I know.

Concise review of the Prequel Trilogy:

It sucks.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Well, hmm, maybe it's just because I'm an Ne-user and not a T? I just see the whole picture for what it is rather than analyze it (except Anakin's character, which I was able to deduce through making connections with all the info I had).
    Wow, you were able to deduce that Anakin was to become Darth Vader?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The Phantom Menace was breathtaking in 1999. The production values, visual and sound effects were flawless, but Jake Lloyd was annoying as hell. As for Jar Jar, I don't see what the problem was outside of him being the second most annoying character in the movie (someone had to fill in for C-3PO's lack of screen time). But why was the character such a racist stereotype? He was voiced and mocapped by a black guy imitating his grandmother!!!

For the boring first half, Attack of the Clones transformed into a work of genius during the last hour. (And even in the first half, there's an unintentionally funny love story that in and of itself is a genius in its stupidity.) Say what you want about George Lucas's inability to write character dialogue, but the guy can sure design and create some of the most memorable action sequences on either film or digital video.

I had no major complaints about Revenge of the Sith, outside of Hayden Christensen's tired performance, and the false pretense of this being the darkest of all of the movies. Just because it's the only movie of the six to get a PG-13 rating doesn't mean it's the darkest, George. The Empire Strikes Back was darker, I think. But depending on my mood, Sith is either my second or third favorite film of the entire saga.

And none of the prequels are my least favorites of the saga -- that honor goes to Return of the Jedi. God damn Ewoks.