User Tag List

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default NFL team prefers players with great wives

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...st-free-agents

Mike Mularkey, the Jaguars' new head coach, stressed free agents that have a good family life would become a priority. "If you're happy at home with your wife at home, I think the energy level is higher," Mularkey told the Wall Street Journal. "It's very important to me ... There's a lot that goes with being married. I just believe the happier you are with your wife, the happier you are on the field. I really believe that."
    Is there something to this?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Oops, I didn't see the other "Everything NFL" thread. Mods, you can move this over to that thread if you wish.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think there is a level of stability that probably does help.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

More thoughts, please?

One thing I wonder is the effect this will have on single players. Will they take less single players? If it has no effect on their selection of single players, will it make them less prone to get married?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think when a guy is truly in love he is willing to continually work his ass off because he doesn't want to risk losing his girl.

It's just one coach doing it though right?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Well, I'd say case Carlos Tevez (Carlos Tevez is an Argentine football player for Manchester City) would back this up, at least to some extent. He said he missed his family and felt miserably. This lead to conflict with the team management and he was suspended for a while.

Having a balanced life outside the field is crucial to have a stable performance on the field. However, family life can become an obstacle, if it's more interesting than the sport itself. Being a world-class athlete is not a job, it's a lifestyle.

But I think it's pretty stupid to think that having a (good) wife will make players better. It's stability they should sought for, not wives.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    ISTx

I think the message behind the article is that the team is trying to avoid guys that are likely to get in trouble. A stable and supportive home life does indicate that a person would probably be less prone to making a fool of himself, going out to the bars, clubs, parties, whatever.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I found it funny that the last name of the guy who said this is Mularkey.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I think the message behind the article is that the team is trying to avoid guys that are likely to get in trouble. A stable and supportive home life does indicate that a person would probably be less prone to making a fool of himself, going out to the bars, clubs, parties, whatever.
    Yeah I think this is more to the point. (I'm speaking from a rugby point of view as NFL is not a big thing in the UK.)
    I'm not sure a stable home life affects your game itself particularly, but being a bad boy/girl regarding drinking/drugs/partying/prostitutes/general promiscuity and the like soon gets in the media and gives bad press for the team.
    I don't think being single itself would be an issue and I don't see anyone getting married just to make a team, but if you were a single player with a bad rep it may be more of an issue. Married players can sweep any questionable behaviour under the carpet of their happy little family life.