• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New JK Rowling novel..."The Casual Vacancy"

xisnotx

Permabanned
When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

Will you pick it up?

Will it be a flop?

Will she ever top Harry Potter?

Should Harry have totally got it on with Cho?

Etc etc

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, it sounds very.. English. I'm not sure what else I should've expected. Nah, I won't read it. I'm predicting it'll have mildly successful sales.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel bad for her in mostly the sense that she's probably already had the "hit" of her career and will never meet with as much acclaim again.

Then again, her success so far has ensured she can write whatever she likes for the rest of her life and never worry about money again.

R

Riva

I will probably read it sooner or later. I was never a fan of reading fiction until I read the Harry Potter series. And once I read 'the series' I read quite a lot of fiction. It's obvious Rowling is the person who made me read for 'entertainment'. And this applies to a lot of people from my generation. So I guess I (and many others like me) are fans. And fans are loyal.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I feel bad for her in mostly the sense that she's probably already had the "hit" of her career and will never meet with as much acclaim again.

Then again, her success so far has ensured she can write whatever she likes for the rest of her life and never worry about money again.

She could pull a reverse Lemony Snicket and write under a pseudonym, just to signal she's aiming towards a different demographic...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She could pull a reverse Lemony Snicket and write under a pseudonym, just to signal she's aiming towards a different demographic...

Stephen King only got away with that for, what, four books or something? Then someone made the connection and he got exposed on "The Dark Half."

But even if people know, at least as you say it would be a "signal."

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Stephen King only got away with that for, what, four books or something? Then someone made the connection and he got exposed on "The Dark Half."

But even if people know, at least as you say it would be a "signal."

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's like saying, "I write these books with a wider audience in mind, and I write these other books with more 'mature' subjects for a more restricted subset".

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that's what I meant. It's like saying, "I write these books with a wider audience in mind, and I write these other books with more 'mature' subjects for a more restricted subset".

She could even just go by a different version of her name (AKA "Joanne Rowling" or "Jo Rowling").

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't expect it to be as good as Harry Potter but I'm curious. I'll give it a try.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The premise is interesting and I'd read it regardless of whether or not it was written by JK Rowling. It does seem that she's rather keen on going the opposite direction from Potter, so we'll see how that shakes out in terms of sales.

That being said, the woman was something of an idol of mine when I was small. I'll probably be one of the first to grab the book when it's released.