123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Default movie recommends plz :O

I'm looking for something very specific in my stories--some sublime cathartic element. But not like in Fight Club, or Grave of the Fireflies, or any movie usually touted as "powerful".

Eternal Sunshine slightly has it, with the elephant scene and the poem. Mushishi frequently has it with its overarching theme of "your feelings and values mean nothing to nature's cold and beautiful justice". Ghost in the Shell has it near the end, with the museum shootout. It was like the symbolic destruction of humanity. Or something. I don't love Perfect Blue or Paprika, but both have one or two scenes which carry this out absolutely perfectly. Non-movie-wise, songs like Water Curses and Nature's Uplifting Revenge have it. And when I was like 7, I didn't care about the romance in Titanic, but the sinking ship was awesome. Overwhelming emotion, a crescendo, destruction, God. Only not necessarily in a literal sense. It can be hinted at through metaphors.

Also, movies/music/etc can be good without it. My favorite movies (Brazil, Blade Runner, Taxi Driver) have it, but not too much.

Anyway, recommendations?

MBTI
    ENTP

No Country for Old Men has the exact opposite of this. It's got cold nothingness. Destruction for sure, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What one person finds cathartic another might not. I found the French horror film L'Interieur cathartic, as well as Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (original Korean version). I'm pretty sure that largely has to do with me being female and who I am, though.

If you're looking for some kind of bleak, desolate hopelessness there's plenty of films which will give you that, like The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things with Asia Argento.

Zodiac and Wonderland (2003, with Val Kilmer, the John Holmes movie) both stayed with me as brutal true crimes within the past 30-40 which were never solved. I obsessed over the true details of both cases, and loved the supplemental material on Wonderland, as it actually showed the police footage of the murdered bodies in the apartment. Creepy stuff, bro.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    No Country for Old Men has the exact opposite of this. It's got cold nothingness. Destruction for sure, though.
    It doesn't have to have actual overwhelmingness or emotion. Mushishi and GITS don't have those at all. They're both really subdued. I guess what matters isn't how much of that "power" is shown, but how much of it is actually there. In Dilbert 3, just mandalas and rotating Illuminati pyramids were enough.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ooooh. I can't believe I didn't immediately recommend 4.

If you can stand Russian subtitles, it has plenty of symbolic underlying meaning.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Ooooh. I can't believe I didn't immediately recommend 4.

If you can stand Russian subtitles, it has plenty of symbolic underlying meaning.
    Wow, I think I'd love this. I can definitely stand subtitles.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.Is.God View Post
    In Dilbert 3, just mandalas and rotating Illuminati pyramids were enough.
    Dilbert 3 is great. GHXYK2 is the master of that style, though. He's probably Cboyardee's biggest influence anyway.

http://vimeo.com/10911264
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wow, um Dilbert 3? Is this a troll fest?

You definitely should get something out of Park Chan-Wook's revenge trilogy, I believe Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is the most symbolic, but also the most hyper-realistic.

All you seem to want is suggestive symbolism, do you like David Lynch?

Dilbert 3?

This is all pretty vague. Excuse me, but I'm not really sure I understand what you're looking for, besides that you simply want symbols.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Wow, um Dilbert 3? Is this a troll fest?

You definitely should get something out of Park Chan-Wook's revenge trilogy, I believe Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is the most symbolic, but also the most hyper-realistic.

All you seem to want is suggestive symbolism, do you like David Lynch?

Dilbert 3?

This is all pretty vague. Excuse me, but I'm not really sure I understand what you're looking for, besides that you simply want symbols.
    No, I don't want symbols. I want some sort of cathartic release of power, which can be represented symbolically. I don't think I'm being very clear because I don't quite get it myself.

I'm not trolling about Dilbert 3. I really cried the first time I watched it and got to the mandala. It's that sense of artificiality and trapped-ness and decay. Am I pretentious if I say it's postmodern?

Edit: probably I'm looking for a sense of chaos/some primal force being in control or human-imposed order being trumped by chaos.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.Is.God View Post
    No, I don't want symbols. I want some sort of cathartic release of power, which can be represented symbolically. I don't think I'm being very clear because I don't quite get it myself.

I'm not trolling about Dilbert 3. I really cried the first time I watched it and got to the mandala. It's that sense of artificiality and trapped-ness and decay. Am I pretentious if I say it's postmodern?
    Only if you don't know what postmodern actually means. Seeing as that I haven't seen or even read about Dilbert 3, I cannot challenge your statement, but I'm quite skeptical that you're even using the word correctly. Sorry if I'm being an asshole by saying that.

Anyway, people are moved by different things, that's what I said in my first post. What sets you have has specifically to do with your personality, life experience, emotions, belief system, etc.

Art is subjective. There's good art and bad art, but even among good art what is outstanding to some is meh to others.

Edit: probably I'm looking for a sense of chaos/some primal force being in control or human-imposed order being trumped by chaos.
    Then you will like 4.

That kind of explains why I like horror movies, maybe, I think, too. I mean you could even say that about a film like Zodiac where the murderer is beyond the reach of the law.