User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I hope you watched the right Dilbert 3. It's not anything like the comic. Although either way your reaction would probably be the same since not many people would like it.

edit:
    Slight NSFW warning.
    Dilbert 2 (1 doesn't matter at all):
    [YOUTUBE="D36NSYUNPhg"]Dilbert 2[/YOUTUBE]

Dilbert 3:
    [YOUTUBE="VuPQo2DeFyQ"]Dilbert 3[/YOUTUBE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Only if you don't know what postmodern actually means. Seeing as that I haven't seen or even read about Dilbert 3, I cannot challenge your statement, but I'm quite skeptical that you're even using the word correctly. Sorry if I'm being an asshole by saying that.

Anyway, people are moved by different things, that's what I said in my first post. What sets you have has specifically to do with your personality, life experience, emotions, belief system, etc.

Art is subjective. There's good art and bad art, but even among good art what is outstanding to some is meh to others.

Then you will like 4.

That kind of explains why I like horror movies, maybe, I think, too. I mean you could even say that about a film like Zodiac where the murderer is beyond the reach of the law.
    Postmodernism--only if you're going to tell me Thomas Pynchon and John Barth and Vladimir Nabokov aren't postmodern. That's all they ever wrote about--people being trapped in their realities like solipsistic bell jars, reaching past, and finding nothing but a sublime of infinite chaotic realities.

Also, of course it's going to be moved by my personal experiences and etc. But I think we have enough common ground on definitions to agree somewhat on what "chaotic, emotional sublime" in a movie would be characterized by. And that common ground would be enough to possibly set me on my way to my next favorite movie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So I watched the Dilbert 3 thing, and it seemed like someone's crystal meth induced release of sex and pent up aggression. I didn't see anything to cry over, though I thought it was pretty heinously filled with violence, in an especially nasty and base way. It seemed irreverent and sick rather than moving, in my opinion, like an X-rated episode of Robot Chicken or something.

MBTI
    ENTP

It seemed irreverent and sick rather than moving, in my opinion, like an X-rated episode of Robot Chicken or something.
    Ha, that's actually not a bad way of describing it. It does make fun of pop culture. I'd add "sublime" in there.
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    I'd add "sublime" in there.
    I personally would not.

However, I do think they use animation techniques and/or film techniques that mess with your subconscious mind, which may be why you feel that way.

They do that sometimes in Japanese horror films, like I particularly like Spiral. Things frighten you on a deep subconscious level, and you're not sure way. Weird movements and things, images and sounds, as opposed to holistic concepts like "omgz that guy is going to get me with a chainsaw."

MBTI
    ENTP

I personally would not.

However, I do think they use animation techniques and/or film techniques that mess with your subconscious mind, which may be why you feel that way.

They do that sometimes in Japanese horror films, like I particularly like Spiral. Things frighten you on a deep subconscious level, and you're not sure way. Weird movements and things, images and sounds, as opposed to holistic concepts like "omgz that guy is going to get me with a chainsaw."
    I've actually heard that Spiral is pretty good. I want to see it now.

Julien Donkey-Boy might work for what you're talking about, Kurt. Harmony Korine is a p cool thug.

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've actually heard that Spiral is pretty good. I want to see it now.

Julien Donkey-Boy might work for what you're talking about, Kurt. Harmony Korine is a p cool thug.
    Julien Donkey-Boy is great. It's probably Harmony Korine's best film, in my opinion. Gummo still has appeal though.

I really liked Spiral, but I dig stuff like that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Julien Donkey-Boy is great. It's probably Harmony Korine's best film, in my opinion. Gummo still has appeal though.

I really liked Spiral, but I dig stuff like that.
    Yeah, Julien is like a refined version of Gummo. Gummo had good parts, but was overall kind of meh.

I saw Trash Humpers in theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    The poster for this looks cool. What's it like?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, Julien is like a refined version of Gummo. Gummo had good parts, but was overall kind of meh.
    Well Julien-Donkey Boy is Dogme 95 and involved Werner Herzog, so yes, I agree it's much more refined.

Gummo is more like a comedy with disturbing parts. My favorite part is where that little girl says "I want a mustache dammit, like Burt Reynolds." My ex and I used to say that to each other, lol. I think my attachment to Gummo may be partly sentimental, but at the time I watched it, it wasn't quite like anything else I'd ever seen, and that's why it stood out to me. I believe I watched Gummo for the first time in 2001 or 2002.

I'm also thinking of The Brown Bunny now, but I'm not sure if that fits in the category of what the OP is looking for. It's pretty intense.