• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Magic: the Gathering

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Good in concept, but horrible in execution. After the skullclamp bans and MaRo's lame excuses for printing garbage like Okk and other such junk rares, I've had enough of the game.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I haven't played much since about 96, but even then I had the idea of a box set, like a board game. It would remove the real trouble of finding and buying the cards you want. I think it could be profitable if they came out with a new edition every year.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Revised was officially 3rd edition, after Beta and Unlimited. 4th was released after revised.

Heh, my mistake. It's been so long since I've played that I got the two confused. I started playing after Revised/3rd edition came out but before the Legends expansion. When I stopped 4th edition was the main set and Ice Age had been out for a while. (I can't remember if I bought anything from an expansion after Ice Age or not.) My most valuable card was "Mirror Universe".

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Heh, my mistake. It's been so long since I've played that I got the two confused. I started playing after Revised/3rd edition came out but before the Legends expansion. When I stopped 4th edition was the main set and Ice Age had been out for a while. (I can't remember if I bought anything from an expansion after Ice Age or not.) My most valuable card was "Mirror Universe".
I believe I started playing about the same time Fallen Empires came out. Legends were starting to get expensive at the card-selling shops. My most valuable card was "Black Lotus".

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I believe I started playing about the same time Fallen Empires came out. Legends were starting to get expensive at the card-selling shops. My most valuable card was "Black Lotus".

Black Lotus eh? You must have been pretty hardcore. Ever do any professional tournaments or anything like that?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Black Lotus eh? You must have been pretty hardcore. Ever do any professional tournaments or anything like that?
Oh, no. I was really good 1 on 1 vs the local group, (mainly with my RGB deck which focused on big creatures). Everyone else started playing in groups almost all the time, and I kinda lost interest. When you lay down a Force of Nature in a 6-player game, it doesn't last. The Berserk and Fork would just sit in my hand :). I had my fun though.

I think my proudest moment was smashing a guy with his "extra" deck. Either I didn't bring mine, or he complained that I had too many good cards (that did happen sometimes, I don't remember in this case.) I cut it from about 100 to about 60 beforehand, and I hadn't seen a lot of the cards before (New expansions like Ice Age, I played a 100% white-border deck more than not). At least once he had to read one of "my" cards because he was skeptical of what I did with it.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
At some point, I sold all my multilands. I regretted that when I started playing again a couple years later, bought four Taigas back, and made a RG deck similar in intent to the RGB. Then I only played for like three weeks! I've had the last incarnation of my deck frozen in time (er, a deck protector box) since about 2000 [Er, 2005, when I played a few times, got a couple cards]. This hasn't been playtested iirc, I was always tinkering:

6x Forest
6x Mountain
4x Taiga

1x Sol Ring
1x Mana Vault
1x Forcefield
1x Illusionary Mask
1x Darksteel Ingot
1x Darksteel Pendant

2x Juggernaut

4x Birds of Paradise
2x Cockatrice
2x Force of Nature
3x Kird Ape
2x Dragon Whelp
2x Shivan Dragon
1x Molten Hydra
1x Joiner Adept

2x Mana Flare

4x Rolling Thunder
1x Disintegrate
1x Relentless Assault
1x Creeping Mold
1x Rampant Growth
1x Regrowth
1x Channel

2x Lightning Bolt
1x Fork
1x Blood Lust
2x Giant Growth
1x Berserk
1x Naturalize

Main difference from the RGB would probably be the lack of Icy Manipulators and Royal Assassins. I also have a blue/black land destruction/card denial(!) deck somewhere. I've never played with it--deck construction was my real hobby, very INTP of me. You could lose when you actually played. Christ, I went to the trouble of creating a Meekstone/Kudzu/Winter Orb deck, which was hilarious (to me at least).

Found the UB deck posted to another forum.

Blue:
1 Opportunity
1 Portent
4 Counterspell
4 Boomerang
1 Condescend

Black:
2 Demonic Hordes
4 Hypnotic Specter
3 Blight
1 Mind Warp
1 Mind Twist
2 Mind Ravel
2 Hymn to Tourach
1 Rain of Tears
2 Sinkhole
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
4 Dark Ritual

Multicolor:
1 Nebuchadnezzar
1 Diabolic Vision

Artifacts:
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Chromatic Sphere
1 Conjurer's Bauble
1 Sol Ring

Land:
1 Strip Mine
8 Swamp
7 Island

I'm sure I would suck vs. all the combos out today with either deck. The sport has changed, as they say.

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I was so into this game back then it amuses me. Now I think about it once a year or so. I actually wrote an expansion set, or a large part of one. I was going to call it "Convergence." Of course I never even emailed the idea to anyone. It's quite good, if I can say that. The flavor text is cheesy as hell:

Part One

Part Two

Excerpt:

Half-Dead Hordes
4BB
Summon Zombies
Rare

Any creature blocking or blocked by Half-Dead Hordes is immediately destroyed.
When Half-Dead Hordes comes into play, put 4 Lifetime counters on it. At the end
of each of your turns, remove a Lifetime counter. When none remain, bury Half-
Dead Hordes.

5/5

Critter Blast
XG
Sorcery
Rare

Flip a coin X times. For each time heads resulted, put a Green 1/1 Critter Token into
play on your side.

"How many did you say you could make?" the child asked apprentice Telle. And she replied
"Well...About half".

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
You could lose when you actually played.

LOL! :D

Oh, no. I was really good 1 on 1 vs the local group, (mainly with my RGB deck which focused on big creatures). Everyone else started playing in groups almost all the time, and I kinda lost interest. When you lay down a Force of Nature in a 6-player game, it doesn't last. The Berserk and Fork would just sit in my hand :). I had my fun though.

I think my proudest moment was smashing a guy with his "extra" deck. Either I didn't bring mine, or he complained that I had too many good cards (that did happen sometimes, I don't remember in this case.) I cut it from about 100 to about 60 beforehand, and I hadn't seen a lot of the cards before (New expansions like Ice Age, I played a 100% white-border deck more than not). At least once he had to read one of "my" cards because he was skeptical of what I did with it.

For multiplayer games I constructed this gigantic deck that had 500-1000 cards in it. It had it's own special box, so sometimes people would ask, "Is that your collection?" "No that's my deck", I'd reply. :) The reason was that there were so many cool cards that had little or no practical use in a 2 player game, like "Aladdin's Ring" or any card that required 3 different types of mana. So I built this ginormous deck that was roughly 1/6 artifacts and 1/6 of each color (plus a few multicolor cards). I don't think it had any duplicates in it either other than land. It usually took me a few turns to get going, but most people in multiplayer left me alone at first just to see what I'd pull out. It might be Grizzly Bears, Wheel of Fortune, Lord of the Pit or whatever. Heh after a few games they started to realize though that my deck was super powered if you gave it long enough. It had the best traits of every color. :)

For 2 player games I tended to build a couple different new decks every week or so. Usually there would be a couple of dominant decks in the group I'd play with, so I tried to see if I could come up with different ways to beat those while still doing well against any other type.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
How did you shuffle that? I'll bet you didn't have a demonic tutor in there.

I shuffled in chunks of course. It also depended on how much downtime there was between games. If there was a lot of downtime then I shuffled the whole thing. Otherwise I only shuffled the top 100-200 cards.

I had a demonic tutor, but if I used it I just looked through the top 100 or so cards until I found a card that was fairly useful to the situation and also within my current mana limitations.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The sport has changed, as they say.
Has it ever. My coworkers, who match up at lunch and after work, are playing on the cutting edge -- half of their debates seem to be over calls on exponential combos. Funny, and impressive, given the power their decks wield; but light years from Revised.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
The last deck I bought was when the Ice Age expansion came out. I could never afford good cards (middle school), so I played with what I had. I remember an acquaintance of mine had a 'White Weenie' deck with four Serra Angels (sp?) years ago. I don't think I ever won against him. I'd be interested to see what kinds of decks people here have put together past/present/future. I liked Red/Blue & Blue/Black back in the day.

Oh and Jack Flak, Cockatrices were one of my least favourite cards to go up against. My older brother had two of them and would absolutely crush me if he managed to get them out.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Oh and Jack Flak, Cockatrices were one of my least favourite cards to go up against. My older brother had two of them and would absolutely crush me if he managed to get them out.
My best friend usually played a red/white deck with 4 Serras. I think I beat him about 75% of the time. Want some Cockatrices? I have like 10.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to be really into this. About the time the Alliances expansion came out I realized they were spiralling out of control towards Montiness and it got much less interesting.

I had dozens of decks. Most lethal was my stasis deck. Using time elementals (or boomerangs), stasis, and Kismet, you just shut someone down completely.

I think my most amusing was my "Dead can dance" deck. Black and blue were the only mana and spells, but the monsters ran the gambit of all colors, my biggest, nastiest, most ridiculous crap, casting cost be damned. Craw giants, shivan dragons, colossus, all of it. I had no plans of casting any of those, though. Using things to "discard a card and draw another" and what-not, I toss all those beefy monsters into the graveyard. Hell's Caretaker, animate dead, soul exchange with a breeding pit, and other joys then bring my monsters straight out of the graveyard into play. My first turn I would typically refrain from playing a land so I could discard a Scaled Worm or some such, then begin the dance of the dead.

My pal had a concept deck also, one which rather elegantly balanced the extra-payoff of spells/permanents requiring sacrifice (though you burn resources madly) with the unfortunate weakness of control decks that one may lose control (though until you do you whip some ass)...it was named, unimaginatively but quite aptly, the "Take Your Shit And Sacrifice It" deck. Many many things of his that used sacrifice as part of the activation, and many many things to take your creatures and toys...and you guessed it, he does not sacrifice his own creatures to that life chisel, or Ashnod's Altar, or Lord of the Pit that's kicking your ass... he sacrifices -yours-.

A similarly named exploitative deck I used, dubbed the "Fuck Us Both Up But I Can Take It" deck, used preventative white and explosive red. Orcish artillery, Inferno, Brothers of Fire, EarthQuake, everything Red I could muster up that does damage to others while doing damage to me (but not Manabarbs!!)...then I whap it with a circle of protection from red. This deck provided my favorite combo Evar...Inferno, then Blood of the Martyr, then Reverse Damage. Net effect: I gain 6*(number of my creatures + 1) life and my creatures are unharmed, you and each of your creatrues takes 6 damage.

Ehhh, better shut up now. Like me some MTG, ain't played in a while.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Stopped playing around Mirrodin when they started being imbeciles and banning everything left and right.

Not to mention that the game is just too expensive what with the mass buying to be able to put together a competitive deck.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well!! I learned it originally because my boyfriend of the time played it frequently, as did many of his (which became mine as well) friends. So, taking an active interests in his, I asked how to play. I still don't grasp the steps very well (the upkeep, and actions and such) as I tend to do things out of order.. but I did like playing. I'm just not very clever with it all. I played a reanimation deck because it was easy, and I won an unhinged tournament one time at a friend's birthday which allowed me to keep all the cards as the prize.. So I currently have a crap load of those and nothing else. ;) Pretty cool game though.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been playing casually with some friends. Just using a precon Merfolk deck for now. :doh:

Doesn't do so well against the tournament ones they have, but oh well.