• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Magic: the Gathering

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Are there any Magic: the Gathering players here?

I am a DCI Level 2 Judge Trainer, I've judged 2 Pro Tours (San Diego in 2007, and Charleston in 2006) and 2 Grand Prixs (Columbus in 2007, and Detroit 2003), as well as many Regionals and States in the Ohio and Michigan.

I'll be judging PT Hollywood this May and GP Indianapolis this June. Anyone going to be there?

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I am a non-player who is very interested in it. From my very limited experience, I know how to play the game. I keep up with all the news, and love reading Magic-related columns. (Someone should sneak Mark Rosewater in here as he's so interested in MBTI.) Why am I a non-player? That's because I live in Turkey and we don't have many cards around here, or, at least, I don't know of many places which sell them, and cards also arrive sort of late. I'm sure Shadowmoor will arrive in mid-June or something. Same goes for players -- very scant number of them.

I might be starting Magic Online next year when I'll hopefully be starting university. Perhaps they will have lessened the existing issues with v3 by then.

And before you entertain any idle thoughts, yes, I read your occasional column as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really play, haven't thought about it for years.

But I was there when the game came out. I remember my RPG gaming group annoying me because single people living off minimum wage would save up their money, come to session, and just open pack after pack of cards... doh.

I jumped in the next year, after the wave, just to get an idea of the basic rules and because I liked some of the art. I tend to dabble that way just to get my feet wet.

Then I watched all the other card companies try to capitalize on Wizards' success... and then they bought out TSR.

I guess that was a waste of a post, but I'm contributing in the only way I can. :)

My kids do play Pokemon, still, and I helped them buy all their initial base decks and build them.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got a whole group of friends who are hardcore into this game... including one dude who's just sick (not sure if he's played in any major competitions, but he's on par with another guy I know who has)

I personally stay away from it, too much stuff to keep track of... I'm not a big fan of group competition games :)

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I used to be really really big into it, but it soon became an expensive and addicting hobbie that I had to put a stop to. Then Ravnica came out and I just had to get back into it, I played with a group of guys around my neighborhood at our local game store. But soon the store started losing bussiness and people from the original group soon stoped playing and then it all just fell apart from their. I would probably still be in it if it wasnt for the fact that no one I know (and like as well) play. And the closest place to play other than someones house is like 40 mins away.

But im very interested in the newest set and would love to make a Tree Warrior deck.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hell yes. But it's expensive as hell so not a lot. And no one I know except my cousin likes it so it's not worth all the money.

What's involved in judging the tournaments?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
It's very cheap if you play on line or via the computer using the old magic the gathering microprose game (can find it for free fairly easily on an abandonware site) then update it with the latest fan made manalink stuff. Great way to kill an hour with a deck that costs you nothing. The computer AI is a tad weak, but it's good fun all the same.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Nocapszy said:
What's involved in judging the tournaments?

Judging tournaments means knowing the rules in great detail, knowing the philosophical policies of the DCI, and learning to organize/carry out tasks well. It's hard work, but I love it.

Nadir said:
I might be starting Magic Online next year when I'll hopefully be starting university. Perhaps they will have lessened the existing issues with v3 by then.

My boyfriend works for WotC programming Magic Online. They're working quite hard on it, but it's a pretty massive overhaul. Once they get it going, though, the servers won't crash all the time anymore (in theory).

Nadir said:
Someone should sneak Mark Rosewater in here as he's so interested in MBTI.

That would be awesome if MaRo ended up here. WotC employees recently got evaluated with the MBTI as a corporate tool. I've been gathering data through the boyfriend on the WotC employees I know. It's a pretty interesting sample. I'll post more about it when I have more data.

Nadir said:
And before you entertain any idle thoughts, yes, I read your occasional column as well.

Thanks for reading. It's a lot of fun to write and the other writers are very cool. Eli is a good friend of mine.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
That would be awesome if MaRo ended up here. WotC employees recently got evaluated with the MBTI as a corporate tool. I've been gathering data through the boyfriend on the WotC employees I know. It's a pretty interesting sample. I'll post more about it when I have more data.

In his column "Making Magic" MaRo occasionally talks about his intuition and how he's off the scales with it. That coupled with his mentioning of "shower moments" and "stumbling upon ideas/answers" seems to point towards a Ni preference -- and combined with his general loud and energetic demeanor during interviews, podcasts, etc I'd hazard a guess that he's ENFJ , but with a rather slightly expressed I/E preference. Of course there's also the matter of his ego which he owns up to...

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
In his column "Making Magic" MaRo occasionally talks about his intuition and how he's off the scales with it. That coupled with his mentioning of "shower moments" and "stumbling upon ideas/answers" seems to point towards a Ni preference -- and combined with his general loud and energetic demeanor during interviews, podcasts, etc I'd hazard a guess that he's ENFJ , but with a rather slightly expressed I/E preference. Of course there's also the matter of his ego which he owns up to...

My predictions as far as WotC employees go are that Digital Gaming will see a strong T preference, R&D will see a strong N preference, Organized Play might have a J preference, and Customer Service might have an E bias (at least compared to the rest of the company, anyway).

I know maybe two R&D people, most of the DG people, maybe two Customer Service people, and a handful of the OP people.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I've been playing casually since 1995. Three of my four immediate coworkers have a match or two during lunch or immediately after close; we even held a little booster draft last month. I don't care for the mechanics of contemporary sets, so keep to a non-Type-II-legal, Blue control deck from Tempest and earlier.

redacted

i was completely obsessed with the game from 2000-2003; i played FNM every week, played bigger tournies 6-7 times a year, played with friends online or in person 5+ hours a day, and wrote out decklists in every class.

got a girlfriend junior year of high school and sort of lost interest...

but i just played FNM again last week... first DCI tournament in 5 years. i'm thinking of getting back into it.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's fun, a bunch of my friends/friends of friends have played since high school and they're teaching me. I've only played in a couple drafts so far though so I'm not very good! But I'm not actually going to go out and buy cards, I'll just keep playing in drafts with my friends and slowly accumulate cards that way...

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a couple decks, but I'm not turney material...

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
My friend is teaching me how to play Magic. I don't want to get dragged in too fast because he already burned well over 1.5 grand on it and he will be asking me for money. He has a crazy knowledge of Magic, knowing all the tourney-worthy card's mana cost and effects. He is also one of the best FNM players in the region, but I have no doubt he will become the best because he can just buy one of the top 8.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Want to buy a shitload of Revised and some classics like Berserk and Forcefield (Unlimited, naturally)? I don't think I'm ever gonna do anything with them.

Kanamori

I play, though most of the people I play against have tournament decks, and I think it's antithetical to the game to buy specific cards... So, I usually lose. I play black and blue decks mostly.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I started playing it hardcore around the time that revised (4th edition) came out. I played it for a couple years or so, then got sick of it and gave most of my cards to a friend. I gave him at least $1000 worth of rares just going by the scrye low values.

I just started playing it again with my wife. We plan on only getting a couple boosters a month, and we just play against each other. So far we're having fun. :)

Kleinheiko

MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
9w1
My brother got me into it, and after he left the house, I kinda inherited/stole all of his cards that he'd blown every penny of his spending money on for the last four years.

I've got a green/black elf deck that kicks all of my friend's asses, though I've never taken it to a tourney or anything. Most of my friends simply won't play against it. I've also got a white/black cleric deck that I need to seriously revise. And a red/green beast deck that's unstoppable . . . given enough time. There are just not enough cheap beasts.