User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I started playing it hardcore around the time that revised (4th edition) came out.
    Revised was officially 3rd edition, after Beta and Unlimited. 4th was released after revised.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Good in concept, but horrible in execution. After the skullclamp bans and MaRo's lame excuses for printing garbage like Okk and other such junk rares, I've had enough of the game.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I haven't played much since about 96, but even then I had the idea of a box set, like a board game. It would remove the real trouble of finding and buying the cards you want. I think it could be profitable if they came out with a new edition every year.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Revised was officially 3rd edition, after Beta and Unlimited. 4th was released after revised.
    Heh, my mistake. It's been so long since I've played that I got the two confused. I started playing after Revised/3rd edition came out but before the Legends expansion. When I stopped 4th edition was the main set and Ice Age had been out for a while. (I can't remember if I bought anything from an expansion after Ice Age or not.) My most valuable card was "Mirror Universe".
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Heh, my mistake. It's been so long since I've played that I got the two confused. I started playing after Revised/3rd edition came out but before the Legends expansion. When I stopped 4th edition was the main set and Ice Age had been out for a while. (I can't remember if I bought anything from an expansion after Ice Age or not.) My most valuable card was "Mirror Universe".
    I believe I started playing about the same time Fallen Empires came out. Legends were starting to get expensive at the card-selling shops. My most valuable card was "Black Lotus".

MBTI
    ENTP

I believe I started playing about the same time Fallen Empires came out. Legends were starting to get expensive at the card-selling shops. My most valuable card was "Black Lotus".
    Black Lotus eh? You must have been pretty hardcore. Ever do any professional tournaments or anything like that?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Black Lotus eh? You must have been pretty hardcore. Ever do any professional tournaments or anything like that?
    Oh, no. I was really good 1 on 1 vs the local group, (mainly with my RGB deck which focused on big creatures). Everyone else started playing in groups almost all the time, and I kinda lost interest. When you lay down a Force of Nature in a 6-player game, it doesn't last. The Berserk and Fork would just sit in my hand . I had my fun though.

I think my proudest moment was smashing a guy with his "extra" deck. Either I didn't bring mine, or he complained that I had too many good cards (that did happen sometimes, I don't remember in this case.) I cut it from about 100 to about 60 beforehand, and I hadn't seen a lot of the cards before (New expansions like Ice Age, I played a 100% white-border deck more than not). At least once he had to read one of "my" cards because he was skeptical of what I did with it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

At some point, I sold all my multilands. I regretted that when I started playing again a couple years later, bought four Taigas back, and made a RG deck similar in intent to the RGB. Then I only played for like three weeks! I've had the last incarnation of my deck frozen in time (er, a deck protector box) since about 2000 [Er, 2005, when I played a few times, got a couple cards]. This hasn't been playtested iirc, I was always tinkering:

6x Forest
    6x Mountain
    4x Taiga

1x Sol Ring
    1x Mana Vault
    1x Forcefield
    1x Illusionary Mask
    1x Darksteel Ingot
    1x Darksteel Pendant

2x Juggernaut

4x Birds of Paradise
    2x Cockatrice
    2x Force of Nature
    3x Kird Ape
    2x Dragon Whelp
    2x Shivan Dragon
    1x Molten Hydra
    1x Joiner Adept

2x Mana Flare

4x Rolling Thunder
    1x Disintegrate
    1x Relentless Assault
    1x Creeping Mold
    1x Rampant Growth
    1x Regrowth
    1x Channel

2x Lightning Bolt
    1x Fork
    1x Blood Lust
    2x Giant Growth
    1x Berserk
    1x Naturalize

Main difference from the RGB would probably be the lack of Icy Manipulators and Royal Assassins. I also have a blue/black land destruction/card denial(!) deck somewhere. I've never played with it--deck construction was my real hobby, very INTP of me. You could lose when you actually played. Christ, I went to the trouble of creating a Meekstone/Kudzu/Winter Orb deck, which was hilarious (to me at least).

Found the UB deck posted to another forum.

Blue:
    1 Opportunity
    1 Portent
    4 Counterspell
    4 Boomerang
    1 Condescend

Black:
    2 Demonic Hordes
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    3 Blight
    1 Mind Warp
    1 Mind Twist
    2 Mind Ravel
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Rain of Tears
    2 Sinkhole
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Dark Ritual

Multicolor:
    1 Nebuchadnezzar
    1 Diabolic Vision

Artifacts:
    1 Darksteel Ingot
    1 Chromatic Sphere
    1 Conjurer's Bauble
    1 Sol Ring

Land:
    1 Strip Mine
    8 Swamp
    7 Island

I'm sure I would suck vs. all the combos out today with either deck. The sport has changed, as they say.
    Last edited by Jack Flak; 08-20-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I was so into this game back then it amuses me. Now I think about it once a year or so. I actually wrote an expansion set, or a large part of one. I was going to call it "Convergence." Of course I never even emailed the idea to anyone. It's quite good, if I can say that. The flavor text is cheesy as hell:

Part One

Part Two

Excerpt:

Half-Dead Hordes
    4BB
    Summon Zombies
    Rare

Any creature blocking or blocked by Half-Dead Hordes is immediately destroyed.
    When Half-Dead Hordes comes into play, put 4 Lifetime counters on it. At the end
    of each of your turns, remove a Lifetime counter. When none remain, bury Half-
    Dead Hordes.

5/5

Critter Blast
    XG
    Sorcery
    Rare

Flip a coin X times. For each time heads resulted, put a Green 1/1 Critter Token into
    play on your side.

"How many did you say you could make?" the child asked apprentice Telle. And she replied
    "Well...About half".

MBTI
    ENTP

You could lose when you actually played.
    LOL!

Oh, no. I was really good 1 on 1 vs the local group, (mainly with my RGB deck which focused on big creatures). Everyone else started playing in groups almost all the time, and I kinda lost interest. When you lay down a Force of Nature in a 6-player game, it doesn't last. The Berserk and Fork would just sit in my hand . I had my fun though.

I think my proudest moment was smashing a guy with his "extra" deck. Either I didn't bring mine, or he complained that I had too many good cards (that did happen sometimes, I don't remember in this case.) I cut it from about 100 to about 60 beforehand, and I hadn't seen a lot of the cards before (New expansions like Ice Age, I played a 100% white-border deck more than not). At least once he had to read one of "my" cards because he was skeptical of what I did with it.
    For multiplayer games I constructed this gigantic deck that had 500-1000 cards in it. It had it's own special box, so sometimes people would ask, "Is that your collection?" "No that's my deck", I'd reply. The reason was that there were so many cool cards that had little or no practical use in a 2 player game, like "Aladdin's Ring" or any card that required 3 different types of mana. So I built this ginormous deck that was roughly 1/6 artifacts and 1/6 of each color (plus a few multicolor cards). I don't think it had any duplicates in it either other than land. It usually took me a few turns to get going, but most people in multiplayer left me alone at first just to see what I'd pull out. It might be Grizzly Bears, Wheel of Fortune, Lord of the Pit or whatever. Heh after a few games they started to realize though that my deck was super powered if you gave it long enough. It had the best traits of every color.

For 2 player games I tended to build a couple different new decks every week or so. Usually there would be a couple of dominant decks in the group I'd play with, so I tried to see if I could come up with different ways to beat those while still doing well against any other type.