• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NHL Playoffs coming!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I know almost less than nothing but I'm a New Yorker by choice and recent hockey fan (the only interesting US sport IMO)... Watching the Rangers... Go Rangers!

Good game tonight, eh? Once you enter into the world of hockey, you don't come out.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I grew up with hockey as I'm Canadian. My brother is now a top-flight hockey journalist after years of obsession (he did play when younger, too). I'm probably keener than I was when I was growing up - partly because I now live out of Canada and have ex-pat nostalgia.

Last summer I flew home for a holiday coincidentally right before the Canucks played Game 7. My parents live near Vancouver and everyone was frothing with excitement. Not only did they lose badly, but then there was a riot. Talk about a letdown... I'm flying home for another visit soon and given what happened last year, I'm kind of glad they're out already and we don't have to face the same possibility!!

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hockey is the best sport...in the world. Hands down!

Once you enter into the world of hockey, you don't come out.

This. It is one of life's great, undeniable truths.

I grew up with it, but alas, it wasn't nearly as popular in the region where I attended school. For four years, hockey was much less accessible, and while I was preoccupied with my studies, it faded from my radar - BUT ONLY JUST! Catalyzed by my current job, environment, and circle of friends, this latent northern bloodlust resurfaced anew...now a raging, unstoppable virus. Exposure to the game has lasting effects, and there is no known cure. :holy:

This is pretty bad:

Bruins Fans Calling Joel Ward The N-Word

So many people should not be on twitter... or other social media.

Agreed. I was sad to read that certain Bruins fans reacted the way they did. It's distasteful and pathetic, and it leaves a bad mark on the fan-base for everyone else.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Bruins as a whole, but I'm not a Capitals fan, so I was hoping for a Boston win. Ah, well. Tim Thomas and his majestic 'stache will ride again, no doubt.

As for tonight...here's hoping Nashville annihilates Phoenix.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Bleh, been a pretty frustrating game so far.

It's okay. Nashville had been off for almost a week, and they were a bit rusty. In the latter stages of the game they got their shit together and asserted themselves...outshot Phoenix 16-1 in the third period. I think Phoenix needs Mike Smith to keep playing at that level to win, and I don't see that happening.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It's okay. Nashville had been off for almost a week, and they were a bit rusty. In the latter stages of the game they got their shit together and asserted themselves...outshot Phoenix 16-1 in the third period. I think Phoenix needs Mike Smith to keep playing at that level to win, and I don't see that happening.

Yeah, I think you're right. NSH definitely turned the burners up big time in the 3rd period, just couldn't connect with the net. I suspect a NSH win tomorrow.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Can't wait! So much fun to watch a game when your team already won. I think the Flyers had a bit of the same rust issues that Nashville had the other day. Luckily they pulled out of it in time. I still don't trust Bryzgalov though.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
This is not the start I wanted to see in this game... The only unwavering confidence I have is in Pekka Rinne.

*edit*

And Kostitsyn :). He's now scored a goal in both games of the series.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
FM, roughly what are the statistics for a team that's down 2-0 in a series coming back and taking it?

MBTI Type
INTJ
FM, roughly what are the statistics for a team that's down 2-0 in a series coming back and taking it?

I got this from NHL.com: Teams have trailed 2-0 in a best-of-seven series a total of 291 times and have come back to win the series on 37 occasions or 12.7% of the time.

My guess is that the percentage is slightly higher when the team loses the first two games on the road as Nashville has. It's also worth noting that 11 of those 37 comebacks have happened just since 2000. The teams split their regular season series 2-2 and Nashville finished with 104 points as opposed to 97 for Phoenix. I still think Nashville is in this series. If they go home and win two, I like their chances.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I got this from NHL.com: Teams have trailed 2-0 in a best-of-seven series a total of 291 times and have come back to win the series on 37 occasions or 12.7% of the time.

My guess is that the percentage is slightly higher when the team loses the first two games on the road as Nashville has. It's also worth noting that 11 of those 37 comebacks have happened just since 2000. The teams split their regular season series 2-2 and Nashville finished with 104 points as opposed to 97 for Phoenix. I still think Nashville is in this series. If they go home and win two, I like their chances.
Nice, thanks for the info. Yeah, on the books Nashville is a better team and that's what I've been saying since the game ended earlier. Nashville needs to win these next two to stay in the series. If they do that, then I think they can definitely take the series. Unfortunately in the regular season, Nashville got their 2 wins in Phoenix and Phoenix got their two wins in Nashville. But whatever, the playoffs are a different beast is what I tell myself.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wonder-fucking-ful

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hock...radulov-andrei-kostitsyn-suspended/54660900/1

NASHVILLE – The Predators have suspended forwards Alexander Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn for Game 3 of the playoff series against the Phoenix Coyotes for violating team rules, the team announced Tuesday.

"The Nashville Predators have a few simple rules centered around doing the right things," general manager David Poile said in a release. "We have always operated with a team-first mentality and philosophy. Violating team rules is not fair to our team and their teammates."

The Predators trail the Coyotes 2-0 in the Western Conference semifinal. Game 3 is Wednesday night at Bridgestone Arena.

STORY: Injured Kovalchuk to miss Game 2
MORE: Tennessean coverage of suspensions

Speaking with reporters shortly after the team announced the suspensions, Poile said: "Pretty easy decision. Our creed is always to try to do the right thing. I try to do that in my personal life, so I should try to do it in my business life, and we've just done the right thing. We put the team ahead of a couple of individual players and we'll see where we go from there."

Poile would not expound on the reasoning for the suspension. He would not say when the violation occurred.

"It's just a team rule," he said. "Everybody has the same team rules, and what they did was unacceptable, and coaches and myself had to come to the plate and do the right thing for the team."

Radulov hinted that the team rule could have involved a curfew.

"Like I didn't come back that late as we say, but like I said before, I don't want to talk about it," Radulov said. "I understand what is my mistake and really hope that everything is going to work out better for the team."

The team's leadership group stood beside the coaching staff and management on the discipline for the two players.

"It's (coach Barry Trotz's) decision, we're going to stick behind him. We've won all year with everyone and it's going to take everyone to continue to win," defenseman Ryan Suter said. "We talked. As a leadership group we talked to Trotzy and said whatever you decide, we'll stand by you. We're in the playoffs, we don't need distractions."

"It is what it is and we're going to move forward on this," defenseman Shea Weber said. "It's management's decision. They asked what we thought and we're not in any position to choose. It's up to them, and we're just here to play and play a lot better than we have."

Trotz indicated that Matt Halischuk, Jordin Tootoo or Craig Smith were all possibilities to jump into the lineup for Game 3.

Smith played Game 1 against the Coyotes.Tootoo has played one game this postseason (Game 3 against the Detroit Red Wings) and Halischuk hasn't played since Game 4 in Detroit.

"Let's get back to Predator-hockey plain and simple, back to our identity," Trotz said. "Let's play that team game. Let's be determined on the puck. Let's be relentless. Let's make sure we're taking care of this on both sides of the puck and go from there."