User Tag List

12 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Reccommened Reads

Open to most genres except mystery/detective novels, even then I can be talked around....although I do have a tendency to read back of novels first.
    Just read the Hunger games trilogy, enjoy Robin Hobb novels, and Like non-fiction with a sociological slant.
    Most of all I just like a damn good read.
    Suggestions please, oh and recommended authors. I will consider most things, so long as it is well written.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The Curse of Chalion (fantasy)

No one seems to have heard about it but it's a well-crafted little gem
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

More suggestions please!
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese

You said not so much on the mystery/detective novels, but I really enjoyed the books by Dennis Lehane. He wrote "Shutter Island", and "Mystic River", which you might have heard of. One of his books could be considered historical fiction and I loved it. It was called "Any Given Day".

I also really like Salman Rushdie's books.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

I was re-reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn the other day and realized I'd forgotten how much I loved it, so I'll throw that one out there.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    and Like non-fiction with a sociological slant.
    http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Economic...3245271&sr=1-1

It's not about charts, graphs, or equations. It's about incentives and human behavior. I'd say Thomas Sowell is an INTJ.

I thought Once an Eagle was beautiful. By the time I got to the end I felt totally wrung out, like I had been walking in Sam's shoes for years. http://www.amazon.com/Once-An-Eagle-.../dp/0061030864

I love P. J. O'Rourke. This is one of his classics: http://www.amazon.com/Holidays-Hell-...3245986&sr=1-1

I'm a huge fan of Dennis Prager, and I listen to him regularly. I don't agree with him 100% of the time, but he'd be the first to tell you that the only person you should agree with 100% of the time is yourself. At any rate, I've always found his stuff to be thoughtful and interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Think-Second-T...3246300&sr=1-4
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

thanks for the post so far, I will check those titles out.

I'm greedy, so I want moar suggestions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz

This is one of the most beautiful, moving, philosophical, atmospheric, insightful, amusing, chilling, evocative and fascinating books I've ever read. It's a memoirs by a great Israeli writer but really it's a collection of stories about life through his eyes and through the experiences of several generations of his relatives. It's a little heavy in places and lyrical (but not overly) so if you don't care for that sort of thing, it's not a good idea. You are a NFP though, and I would consider it NFP gold.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I absolutely loved Measuring The World ... it is a hilariously written novel about the lifes of two scientists who, each in their own way, tried to understand the world and made history:

Measuring the World marks the debut of a glorious new talent on the international scene. Young Austrian writer Daniel Kehlmann’s brilliant comic novel revolves around the meeting of two colossal geniuses of the Enlightenment.Late in the eighteenth century, two young Germans set out to measure the world. One of them, the aristocratic naturalist Alexander von Humboldt, negotiates jungles, voyages down the Orinoco River, tastes poisons, climbs the highest mountain known to man, counts head lice, and explores and measures every cave and hill he comes across. The other, the reclusive and barely socialized mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss, can prove that space is curved without leaving his home. Terrifyingly famous and wildly eccentric, these two polar opposites finally meet in Berlin in 1828, and are immediately embroiled in the turmoil of the post-Napolean world.
    I can't vouch for the translation, but the original is brilliantly written, it makes you want to read it aloud to anyone willing to listen.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari