User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Do Boxers/fighters have anger issues?

I really wonder this. I like boxing but when I watch it I start to ask myself why they beat each other up and how they can do that all the time? I rationalize that they must be angry and taking their anger out on someone!

It makes me wonder if they would be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????

Am I totally off? Please tell me I am and why.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I really wonder this. I like boxing but when I watch it I start to ask myself why they beat each other up and how they can do that all the time? I rationalize that they must be angry and taking their anger out on someone!

It makes me wonder if they would they be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????

I'll speak from several years of experience with Muay Thai, BJJ, and Wrestling.

The gym and fighting serve as an outlet for aggression, and in my humble opinion, lowers the aggressive tendencies of those who participate.

I think fight sports serve to focus aggression and express it in a productive way.

P.S. - whether fight sports tend to attract those with higher than average levels of aggression is another question entirely.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I agree with Disco, better they fight in a consensual, controlled/regulated situation than having those violent urges pop up somewhere less appropriate.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Yeah, just think of it as a sport. It's not exactly fighting, as there are a lot of rules to play by and train with in mind. Some don't even fight with that much fierceness or emotion at all. They fight strategically and purposely take fights the whole 12 rounds, in order to win by points. These aren't the actions of someone who's pissed off.

There are a few exceptions - most infamously, Mike Tyson. He's a true fighter. More fighter than boxer, and seems to make it personal half of the time. His skills were completely revolved around knocking people out and making the other guy's "kids cry". Once people started forcing him to actually play it as a sport, he lost.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I had the thought that they could be more prone to violence outside of the ring but I just don't feel comfortable with it. It doesn't seem right or accurate or maybe it's a bad stereotype? I don't want it to be true!

If they're on certain drugs and supplements they can definately be more aggressive. I don't think just participating in the sport makes a person unreasonably aggressive.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I had the thought that they could be more prone to violence outside of the ring but I just don't feel comfortable with it. It doesn't seem right or accurate or maybe it's a bad stereotype? I don't want it to be true!
    I don't know. Sugar Ray Leonard and Roy Jones would still be scary to fight, but they came more from an Olympic background.

Some other guys grew up rough, but they might have a lot of religious beliefs (like George Foreman).

Some might think they're tough, but don't actually handle themselves in streetfights well apparently. Mike Tyson got in some fights with boxers on the streets and completely destroyed them. That was his type of game. They weren't truly violent, like Tyson. Like this guy Mitch Green.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    It makes me wonder if they would they be more likely to beat someone up outside of the ring????
    it doesn't always have to do with anger, it's more based in sheer, instinctual aggression, which is present in varying degrees among humans (more often in males). thus, some people (again, more often males) are driven by thrill seeking, combat and adrenaline rushes, and boxing can provide this (personally it's not a trait I share, and one I am continually baffled by. why would someone deliberately seek out an intensely painful situation?)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why would someone deliberately seek out an intensely painful situation?)
    Most wouldn't think like that to begin with. They think about winning. Look up Muhammad Ali quotes. He's not only funny, but has the most incredible ego ever.

"I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."

"If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

"It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself."

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you."

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Most wouldn't think like that to begin with. They think about winning. Look up Muhammad Ali quotes. He's not only funny, but has the most incredible ego ever.
    "I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was."
    "If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."
    "It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself."
    "Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you."
    so you're saying, the following traits would probably be present in someone for whom boxing was an ideal career choice
    - ego driven
    - desire to prove themselves/desire for external feedback
    - intensity junky
    - doesn't think much of/care about physical pain
    - competitive/likes to win

so basically an ESTP 3w2 Sx/So
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire