User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 37

  1. #11
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    so you're saying, the following traits would probably be present in someone for whom boxing was an ideal career choice
    - ego driven
    - desire to prove themselves/desire for external feedback
    - intensity junky
    - doesn't think much of/care about physical pain
    - competitive/likes to win

    so basically an ESTP 3w2 Sx/So
    Probably.

    I think a lot types can ignore pain though. Not sure it's really type related. ISPs might do things like this solely of their own choosing. Not strictly out of competitiveness or external factors. As long as they're comfortable, it's cool. They care about more about comfort than pain (if that makes sense). EJs go through a lot of pain it seems too. They always seem like workaholics to me, then deal with the fallout when it's too late.

    This is probably off the point though.

  2. #12
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Probably.

    I think a lot types can ignore pain though. Not sure it's really type related. ISPs might do things like this solely of their own choosing. Not strictly out of competitiveness or external factors. As long as they're comfortable, it's cool. They care about more about comfort than pain (if that makes sense). EJs go through a lot of pain it seems too. They always seem like workaholics to me, then deal with the fallout when it's too late.
    This is probably off the point though.
    so essentially pain + comfort is better than no pain without comfort? I think I get it
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  3. #13
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    so essentially pain + comfort is better than no pain without comfort? I think I get it
    I'm tired. This sentence isn't computing for me.. for some reason. hah

    Maybe enjoyable is a better word. As long as enjoyment outweighs any risks, an isp would throw themselves at something. But they aren't necessarily doing anything to be the best or impress. The activity must be fun for the sake of it. Otherwise, it sucks. And no one would change their mind.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    I'll admit I do love the sparring aspect of any martial arts, but I don't actually believe that is reflective of real life fights at all where people will end up in hospitals.

    While I know there are many who are into fighting because they are violent, there are some in it just for the self-defence aspect. I like the idea of being able to stop an attacker by forcing them into submission if I need to. Not to mention, I think it's useful to have an aura-attitude that you won't back down from 'casual' violent threats/bluffs that bullies often employ.

    Unfortunately, it has been noted that martial arts/fighting individuals are often killed because they engage in armed attacks.

  5. #15
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I'll admit I do love the sparring aspect of any martial arts, but I don't actually believe that is reflective of real life fights at all where people will end up in hospitals.

    While I know there are many who are into fighting because they are violent, there are some in it just for the self-defence aspect. I like the idea of being able to stop an attacker by forcing them into submission if I need to. Not to mention, I think it's useful to have an aura-attitude that you won't back down from 'casual' violent threats/bluffs that bullies often employ.

    Unfortunately, it has been noted that martial arts/fighting individuals are often killed because they engage in armed attacks.
    Yeah I'm starting to see that it starts out just for sport, exercise and self-defense and then maybe turns into something more competitive if they are good at it.

    I think maybe the ones that are good at it may get caught up in making money or being the "alpha male".

  6. #16

    Default

    When I've actually been in fights if I'm not angry but more calculating its generally secured victory.

  7. #17
    Senior Member lauranna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    so you're saying, the following traits would probably be present in someone for whom boxing was an ideal career choice
    - ego driven
    - desire to prove themselves/desire for external feedback
    - intensity junky
    - doesn't think much of/care about physical pain
    - competitive/likes to win

    so basically an ESTP 3w2 Sx/So
    Yeah I see that. I think STPs are very effective in contact sports.
    I do a bit of martial arts. (Mostly for self defence purposes). Mostly I play rugby, which is a pretty physical contact sport although not specifically fighting. If you truly love the sport and the game and the physicality, you honestly don't feel pain. Boxers who love it do not feel pain in the ring. Because they are so focussed on the fight, on the game, on winning. (Or maybe this is just an SP point of view. But I imagine a lot of boxers are SPs) I feel no pain on the rugby pitch. I feel pain after the match. And the next day. But it is definitely worth it. I have broken my hand/fingers/nose on the pitch and continued to finish the game. Adrenaline numbs the pain. Any boxers would be the same. Anyone who cries about breaking a toenail is definitely in the wrong sport.

    @Giggly I think for any kind of contact sport you need controlled aggression. Boxing may be fighting, but it has rules. You aren't allowed to kill each other. So you need some kind of self-control, not just pure anger. In my experience sports like fighting and rugby are a release of aggression and stress and therefore people who partake in them are less likely to fight in a bar or on the street. And also less likely to be stressed.
    Of course this doesn't apply to everyone but I don't think boxers in general are any more angry than anyone else. It is ultimately a sport. Cage fighting is much more likely to attract real scrapper types.

  8. #18
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    I would imagine, having played various competitive sports, that anger is more detrimental to boxers than anything else. You can't win if you're tilted...it just clouds the decision making process, which is a vital component of ANY sport. Basically, if you have two fighters of equal skill, and fighter A is being influenced by anger while fighter B isn't, then fighter B has an advantage.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #19
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526
    I was an amateur boxer and I found losing made me angry.

  10. #20
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I would imagine, having played various competitive sports, that anger is more detrimental to boxers than anything else.
    Yeah I can see this now. It's more focused skill and competition than emotion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I was an amateur boxer and I found losing made me angry.
    Really?

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTPs: do you have commitment issues?
    By baccheion in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM
  2. Do you ever have those days . . .
    By INA in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Do NF's have power and control issues?
    By Eric B in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 07:54 PM
  4. Do Fictional Characters Have to Have a Type?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO