• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Everything NFL related

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't like a new thread being made every season, so this is the place to compile any/all NFL talk.

How about this new story to kick things off (no pun intended)? :happy2:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/randy-moss-49ers-deal_n_1340606.html

Randy Moss, 49ers agree to deal

SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Randy Moss is getting another chance in the NFL.

Moss is back after reaching a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers, announced by the team late Monday. ESPN first reported the move a day before the start of the free agency period.

Moss will fill a big void for the reigning NFC West champions.

The 35-year-old Moss worked out with the 49ers earlier in the day – and former NFL quarterback and current coach Jim Harbaugh participated.

"Jim Harbaugh makes 49ers veteran emergency board: Best coach's workout in NFL history (especially while wearing khakis & a sweatshirt)," Niners CEO Jed York tweeted.

Moss, who worked out last Tuesday with the New Orleans Saints, spent a year out of football and last played for New England, Minnesota and Tennessee during a rocky 2010 season.

The 49ers can sure use him. San Francisco's receivers managed just one catch for 3 yards in a 20-17 loss in the NFC championship game to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants at Candlestick Park on Jan. 22.

York told reporters earlier Monday at team headquarters his team needed "someone to stretch the field." The athletic, 6-foot-4 Moss fits the bill.

The 49ers also are working to re-sign quarterback Alex Smith, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2005, and have reportedly made him a three-year offer. Smith's representatives haven't returned multiple messages seeking an update on the status of negotiations.

"Alex is trying to figure out what he wants to do," York said. "There have been good conversations back and forth."

If Moss proves himself during workouts this spring and training camp, he could be the viable deep threat that San Francisco hoped it had in Braylon Edwards last season.

The 49ers cut ties with Edwards in December. Joshua Morgan broke a bone in his lower leg Oct. 9 against Tampa Bay and later had surgery to have screws inserted and was placed on season-ending injured reserve. Morgan is expected to generate his share of interest in free agency.

Michael Crabtree, San Francisco's 10th overall pick in the 2009 draft, had 72 receptions for 874 yards and four touchdowns in 2011. San Francisco went 13-3 and ended an eight-year drought without a playoff berth or winning record.

Moss' best season came for the Patriots in 2007, when he caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and a record 23 touchdowns in helping New England to a 16-0 regular-season mark. He has 954 catches for 14,858 yards and 153 TDs in his 13-year career, which included a stint in the Bay Area with the Oakland Raiders in 2005 and `06.

Moss has had more than 1,000 yards receiving in a season 10 times, second only to Hall of Famer Jerry Rice, who accomplished the feat 14 times.

"Randy Moss...he's back!" tweeted Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
When reached for comment, Tebow fell to his knees and shouted, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?!"

KDude

Why would they do this? I'm not a Tebow fan, but he's practically a rookie. I would bet on his raw skills and grooming a player like that. Even if Manning is great, he has more limits now.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Annndddd Manning picks the Broncos. Booo.
I am pleased with this.

Why would they do this? I'm not a Tebow fan, but he's practically a rookie. I would bet on his raw skills and grooming a player like that. Even if Manning is great, he has more limits now.

Because Tebow is not a good Quarterback. There is nothing there to groom. And aside from the morale boost from his media attention, he did not carry that team to success last season. The Broncos defense especially deserves more credit than they're getting.

He's not built like a quarterback, he's built like a TE. That throw of his is slow as fuck. And outside of his '4th quarter miracles', he seemed to lack some pretty basic intuition. He scrambles and throws short to receivers who are covered. And have you ever listened to him when he's mic'd up? He is not a leader.

Peyton, despite his age, is a fantastic QB - one of the best to ever hit the game. He's a leader, he's smart, and he's got some scary accuracy. His completion percentages are unreal.

I can't believe one would even question why you would want Manning over Tebow.

[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] Get in here and defend your boy. :tongue:

KDude

I can't believe one would even question why you would want Manning over Tebow.

Mostly age and injury. And it's a 5 year contract.

But I disagree that Tebow isn't a good qb. He took them to the playoffs at least. And lost to Tom Brady. Cut him some slack.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Cut him some slack.

No.

Yc9M2.jpg

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Thought you guys might find this interesting. This is a graph depicting how often people were mentioned on Sports Center.

Colossi-Labels-master.png

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't believe one would even question why you would want Manning over Tebow.:

I can't either. I generally like Tebow and believe he deserves more credit than his haters are willing to give. But choosing him over even a 36-year-old Peyton Manning could be charitably described as insane.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Just depends what you want out of football. Some people really enjoy the sport/sports for the stories like that of Tebow, which were illustrated this in this last season. An underdog that was underestimated making it to where he did... Working against the odds. People want to see if that will develop further, thus making the story even more sensational and heart warming. Then there are people that want their team to win a ring and understand that the chance of that happening are much, much higher with Manning.

Women like Tebow, men like Manning. Excluding Patches, of course. Is that fair to say? heh

KDude

Just depends what you want out of football. Some people really enjoy the sport/sports for the stories like that of Tebow, which were illustrated this in this last season. An underdog that was underestimated making it to where he did... Working against the odds. People want to see if that will develop further, thus making the story even more sensational and heart warming. Then there are people that want their team to win a ring and understand that the chance of that happening are much, much higher with Manning.

Women like Tebow, men like Manning. Excluding Patches, of course. Is that fair to say? heh

In my case, I'm actually just a "homer" (Dallas fan), and don't know a lot of details outside of that. I pay attention to basketball more, and I'm probably just projecting perceptions from there. If someone like Tim Duncan (about the same age and legacy as Manning) was traded for a Tebow equivalent (not sure who that'd be... maybe Jeremy Lin), people would wonder wtf was going on. 36 is practically a geezer in the NBA. But this isn't basketball, so whatever.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
In my case, I'm actually just a "homer" (Dallas fan), and don't know a lot of details outside of that. I pay attention to basketball more, and I'm probably just projecting perceptions from there. If someone like Tim Duncan (about the same age and legacy as Manning) was traded for a Tebow equivalent (not sure who that'd be... maybe Jeremy Lin), people would wonder wtf was going on. 36 is practically a geezer in the NBA. But this isn't basketball, so whatever.
You're right. Manning doesn't have lasting value at this point. Everyone knows that though. This is simply an "all in" move as they call it. Either he wins the team a super bowl within the next three years or acquiring Manning becomes almost a wasted move. Unless he's able to impart invaluable wisdom to a younger player (such as Tebow but that isn't likely to happen) then I guess having Manning on the team isn't all in vein. But I understand that's just how the sport works. Whatever move a team can make season by season to increase their odds in winning something in the short term, often times that's considered a good decision. At the end of the day, a league title is paramount. I wouldn't say the Broncos made a bad choice by any means, but hopefully it pays off for them in the limited time they have. They spent a &#*% ton of money on this dude.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
If we can get Tebow to Jacksonville, we'll be able to fill our seats for once, and maybe just maybe, start building a real team again.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Tebow to the Jets. Could there be a less exciting trade?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/tim-tebow-traded-broncos-jets-15971699

and this story:

Sean Payton, head coach of the N.O. Saints gets suspended ALL OF THE UPCOMING SEASON, and the team loses a 2nd round draft pick, as well as a fine of $500,000.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...aints-fined-for-bounty-program/1#.T2oNoI4_YuI

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year and the team will lose its second round pick in 2012 and '13 and pay $500,000 as a result of the NFL's bounty investigation, the league announced Wednesday.

Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who orchestrated the program, has been suspended from the NFL indefinitely. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis also faces an eight-game suspension and a $500,000 fine.

The NFL revealed in early March an investigation which found more than 20 defensive players for the Saints participated in a 'bounty' system from 2009 to '11 which rewarded individuals with cash for harming opposing players.

"We are all accountable and responsible for player health and safety and the integrity of the game," Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday. "We will not tolerate conduct or a culture that undermines those priorities. No one is above the game or the rules that govern it. Respect for the game and the people who participate in it will not be compromised."

The league found that the cash pool reached $50,000 or more during the 2009 playoffs, and players were paid $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off" with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs. Money was provided primarily by players.

All such payments violate league rules for non-contract bonuses.

Williams administered the program, and the NFL says Payton was not a direct participant, yet was aware of the allegations and "failed to stop the bounty program." Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt is also suspended without pay for the first six games of the 2012 season.

"A combination of elements made this matter particularly unusual and egregious," Goodell continued. "When there is targeting of players for injury and cash rewards over a three-year period, the involvement of the coaching staff, and three years of denials and willful disrespect of the rules, a strong and lasting message must be sent that such conduct is totally unacceptable and has no place in the game."

Payton and Loomis took "full responsibility" for the violations in a joint statement issued days after the findings, and later met with Goodell in New York to discuss the issue.

The pair apologized for the "unique hardship" on team owner Tom Benson, recognized the severity of the violations, and promised that they "will never happen again."

Williams, who left the Saints this offseason to become defensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams, apologized for his program, which he reportedly also implemented in several other NFL cities. Commissioner Goodell will review Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him.

"I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again," Williams said.

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma became the player face of the program following an SI.com report describing his $10,000 offer to any player who could knock Brett Favre out of the 2009 NFC Championship Game. The league did not hand down punishment for any players involved on Wednesday, but ESPN reports that the issue is still under review.