• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mass Effect 3

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They didn't rip it, they paid whoever owns the picture to use it and crop it... read an article on it somewhere.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just got my copy and started the campaign over the weekend. Because I take my time and have to work a lot, it will be a while till I see if I'm as outraged by the ending as everyone else.

However, I have a question:

Is it possible to get the "best" ending without multiplayer? I have no interest in multiplayer, and I suspect I'd have to buy an Xbox Live Gold membership. I've read that this is about the only way to increase Galactic Readiness (except for some aps you can download and use on mobile devices).

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Is it possible to get the "best" ending without multiplayer?

According to BioWare, it is possible (spoiler-proofed caveats below). I know that I refused to do any of the multiplayer/mobile stuff, and I probably came very close to the maximum number of "points" without doing anything but the single player game (I tend to play slowly and ensure that I don't miss anything, restore from saved games if I make a mistake that doesn't seem likely to give me a good outcome, etc.).

Having said that, the "endings" are sort of hard to describe in terms of "the best", etc. From what I've read/YouTubed, there are cases where if your score is "extra high", you get additions to the main ending scenarios (in terms of extended cutscenes). I did not see these in my play, but did see them in YouTube clips from folks who said they'd done the multiplayer/mobile stuff to enhance their scores. Someone did a pretty thorough analysis of endings available at different point scores, and some of them were available only if you had a *lot* more points than I did (which would absolutely require the multiplayer stuff).

But the differences were minor. This is likely what BioWare was referring to -- I do believe that you can get the "main" endings without getting those multiplayer points (multiplayer/mobile stuff can *double* your point totals). But you may not be seeing quite all of the content of the "best" outcome cutscenes.

But really... as you've probably noticed in the comments here and elsewhere, this is not a game to play for its ending. I found it a great game, with an enjoyable storyline up until the end -- it was certainly worth it. If you liked the others (especially ME2), you'll probably like it. Except for the ending -- but don't let that spoil the 98% of the experience that is great.

And yeah -- I had no desire to play the multiplayer either. I remember reading something a while back, when EA bought BioWare, that said that EA was mandating that all of their games have a multiplayer component (Boo!), which is what resulted in what is apparently a very tacked-on multiplayer component (even though I've ready that some have said that it was well done and pretty fun, as such things go). I still don't really have any desire to try it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to BioWare, it is possible (spoiler-proofed caveats below). I know that I refused to do any of the multiplayer/mobile stuff, and I probably came very close to the maximum number of "points" without doing anything but the single player game (I tend to play slowly and ensure that I don't miss anything, restore from saved games if I make a mistake that doesn't seem likely to give me a good outcome, etc.).

Having said that, the "endings" are sort of hard to describe in terms of "the best", etc. From what I've read/YouTubed, there are cases where if your score is "extra high", you get additions to the main ending scenarios (in terms of extended cutscenes). I did not see these in my play, but did see them in YouTube clips from folks who said they'd done the multiplayer/mobile stuff to enhance their scores. Someone did a pretty thorough analysis of endings available at different point scores, and some of them were available only if you had a *lot* more points than I did (which would absolutely require the multiplayer stuff).

But the differences were minor. This is likely what BioWare was referring to -- I do believe that you can get the "main" endings without getting those multiplayer points (multiplayer/mobile stuff can *double* your point totals). But you may not be seeing quite all of the content of the "best" outcome cutscenes.

But really... as you've probably noticed in the comments here and elsewhere, this is not a game to play for its ending. I found it a great game, with an enjoyable storyline up until the end -- it was certainly worth it. If you liked the others (especially ME2), you'll probably like it. Except for the ending -- but don't let that spoil the 98% of the experience that is great.

And yeah -- I had no desire to play the multiplayer either. I remember reading something a while back, when EA bought BioWare, that said that EA was mandating that all of their games have a multiplayer component (Boo!), which is what resulted in what is apparently a very tacked-on multiplayer component (even though I've ready that some have said that it was well done and pretty fun, as such things go). I still don't really have any desire to try it.

Thanks for the answer!

I'll see how close I can get and still have a satisfactory ending (as sastisfactory as is possible, it seems). I suppose I can watch the "ultimate" endings on youtube as well, since there's no need to carry over a save from ME3 to a future game (everyone lived in my ME2 save!).

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who has their Resurgence Pack yet?

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Mass Effect 3 - Resurgence Pack.]

I badly have to have the Batarian Soldier/Sentinel.. as well as the Geth Plasma SMG.

The Harpoon Gun is a thing of beauty but apparently never works effectively when you want it most to (i.e. versus the Phantom at short to medium range) particularly as you have to reload by every one shot.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harpoon gun is garbage, I'll stick to my Widow. Batarian Soldier is a lot of fun... I'm really looking forward to getting a Geth though.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Harpoon gun is garbage, I'll stick to my Widow. Batarian Soldier is a lot of fun... I'm really looking forward to getting a Geth though.

I don't get 3-4 hours to play the MP so..

I have the Geth Engineer and it's average. Would be much happier if I'd have unlocked to me the Geth Infiltrator for its cloaking device instead.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[DLC..]

I have all DLC characters!

I agree my best by far has to be the Batarian Soldier.. but the Geth Infiltrator is weak! I played it on Condor the other day and kept going down in an instant by nothing more than a Cerberus trooper even though that has to be the most outrageously awesome melee attack of all characters next to the Batarian Soldier's heavy fist punch on the MP! The Geth engineer, Asari Justicar and Batarian Sentinel are also good. The Krogan Vanguard though? I don't know..

I actually love the new Condor map second most on the MP after the Firebase White.. don't know what all the fuss is about from every player I meet saying they'd rather avoid it literally at all costs. Hydra looks stunning but I fail to see why most players lately tend to go on that. It's too spacious!

My plan on the MP now is to acquire as much equipment as I can get to have handy in-game even though the Premium Spectre and Spectre packs have been utter rip-offs.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
really basic, and maybe stupid, question: how does one access DLC?

For example, I have downloaded the extra maps for HALO reach, and the new DLC expansion pack for mass effect 3. If I try to download them again it tells me I already have them. However, I fail to see how one actually accesses the DLC after downloading it. For example the mass effect 3 DLC, I didnt see how to run it or choose those new maps or new playable character classes/races.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[New Rebellion Pack.]

6 new characters, 3 new weapons and 2 new maps.. as well as a brand new in game objective.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
[Mass Effect 3 - Rebellion Pack.]

That is just incredible!

Gearing up..

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's the 4th of July!

In that spirit, I finally beat ME3.

I see why so many hated the ending. I don't exactly hate it, but I do dislike the way it was told. Even the extended ending released recently still doesn't satisfy.

The Stargazer and Child after the credits is my favorite part. Maybe it was the music.