First 34567 Last

Thread: Mass Effect 3

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

They didn't rip it, they paid whoever owns the picture to use it and crop it... read an article on it somewhere.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I just got my copy and started the campaign over the weekend. Because I take my time and have to work a lot, it will be a while till I see if I'm as outraged by the ending as everyone else.

However, I have a question:

Is it possible to get the "best" ending without multiplayer? I have no interest in multiplayer, and I suspect I'd have to buy an Xbox Live Gold membership. I've read that this is about the only way to increase Galactic Readiness (except for some aps you can download and use on mobile devices).

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is it possible to get the "best" ending without multiplayer?
    According to BioWare, it is possible (spoiler-proofed caveats below). I know that I refused to do any of the multiplayer/mobile stuff, and I probably came very close to the maximum number of "points" without doing anything but the single player game (I tend to play slowly and ensure that I don't miss anything, restore from saved games if I make a mistake that doesn't seem likely to give me a good outcome, etc.).

Having said that, the "endings" are sort of hard to describe in terms of "the best", etc. From what I've read/YouTubed, there are cases where if your score is "extra high", you get additions to the main ending scenarios (in terms of extended cutscenes). I did not see these in my play, but did see them in YouTube clips from folks who said they'd done the multiplayer/mobile stuff to enhance their scores. Someone did a pretty thorough analysis of endings available at different point scores, and some of them were available only if you had a *lot* more points than I did (which would absolutely require the multiplayer stuff).

But the differences were minor. This is likely what BioWare was referring to -- I do believe that you can get the "main" endings without getting those multiplayer points (multiplayer/mobile stuff can *double* your point totals). But you may not be seeing quite all of the content of the "best" outcome cutscenes.

But really... as you've probably noticed in the comments here and elsewhere, this is not a game to play for its ending. I found it a great game, with an enjoyable storyline up until the end -- it was certainly worth it. If you liked the others (especially ME2), you'll probably like it. Except for the ending -- but don't let that spoil the 98% of the experience that is great.

And yeah -- I had no desire to play the multiplayer either. I remember reading something a while back, when EA bought BioWare, that said that EA was mandating that all of their games have a multiplayer component (Boo!), which is what resulted in what is apparently a very tacked-on multiplayer component (even though I've ready that some have said that it was well done and pretty fun, as such things go). I still don't really have any desire to try it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    According to BioWare, it is possible (spoiler-proofed caveats below). I know that I refused to do any of the multiplayer/mobile stuff, and I probably came very close to the maximum number of "points" without doing anything but the single player game (I tend to play slowly and ensure that I don't miss anything, restore from saved games if I make a mistake that doesn't seem likely to give me a good outcome, etc.).

Having said that, the "endings" are sort of hard to describe in terms of "the best", etc. From what I've read/YouTubed, there are cases where if your score is "extra high", you get additions to the main ending scenarios (in terms of extended cutscenes). I did not see these in my play, but did see them in YouTube clips from folks who said they'd done the multiplayer/mobile stuff to enhance their scores. Someone did a pretty thorough analysis of endings available at different point scores, and some of them were available only if you had a *lot* more points than I did (which would absolutely require the multiplayer stuff).

But the differences were minor. This is likely what BioWare was referring to -- I do believe that you can get the "main" endings without getting those multiplayer points (multiplayer/mobile stuff can *double* your point totals). But you may not be seeing quite all of the content of the "best" outcome cutscenes.

But really... as you've probably noticed in the comments here and elsewhere, this is not a game to play for its ending. I found it a great game, with an enjoyable storyline up until the end -- it was certainly worth it. If you liked the others (especially ME2), you'll probably like it. Except for the ending -- but don't let that spoil the 98% of the experience that is great.

And yeah -- I had no desire to play the multiplayer either. I remember reading something a while back, when EA bought BioWare, that said that EA was mandating that all of their games have a multiplayer component (Boo!), which is what resulted in what is apparently a very tacked-on multiplayer component (even though I've ready that some have said that it was well done and pretty fun, as such things go). I still don't really have any desire to try it.
    Thanks for the answer!

I'll see how close I can get and still have a satisfactory ending (as sastisfactory as is possible, it seems). I suppose I can watch the "ultimate" endings on youtube as well, since there's no need to carry over a save from ME3 to a future game (everyone lived in my ME2 save!).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Who has their Resurgence Pack yet?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Who has their Resurgence Pack yet?
    Is that for multiplayer?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is that for multiplayer?
    Yup..

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Post [Mass Effect 3 - Resurgence Pack.]

I badly have to have the Batarian Soldier/Sentinel.. as well as the Geth Plasma SMG.

The Harpoon Gun is a thing of beauty but apparently never works effectively when you want it most to (i.e. versus the Phantom at short to medium range) particularly as you have to reload by every one shot.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Harpoon gun is garbage, I'll stick to my Widow. Batarian Soldier is a lot of fun... I'm really looking forward to getting a Geth though.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)