• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some comments here:

All that sounds like a lot better movie. Though I doubt it made it any scarier (horror) or smarter (sci-fi) which is what it really needed. At least the characters don't sound like complete idiots with that info.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of that cracked me up and there's no real excuse for those mistakes (like Shaw's inability to walk down a hall without staggering because of her gut wound but suddenly she's jumping crevasses with no problem, or all the aliens fleeing from an outbreak by hiding in the room full of goo, or the pictures of aliens back on Earth taking them to the equivalent of Anthrax Isle... why?)

----
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION] ... as far as the typical cheap criticism of Vickers not being able to run out of the way? I've watched the scene three times now and actually there is a clip in the middle where both she and Shaw do a 90-degree turn (perpendicular to the path of the rolling ship) and the fucking thing actually tracks them, and the next time there's an establishing shot from in front of Vickers again, it looks like she's still just running in front. So this was a filming/editing mistake. Vickers actually did turn once and should have been okay but the uneven ground screwed her; it's probably why she didn't jag again, because she thought she had avoided it until she fell down.

There's actually another problem in that scene... Shaw falls and manages to roll sideways so the ship tumbles past her, barely missing her... but suddenly when it stops moving as she's getting up, she's standing about 50 yards away from it on the SIDE and it then proceeds to slowly fall on top of her. She should have either been right next to it or she should have been watching it from behind, rather than way off to the side.

----

At least David's arc makes more sense. They came back from the ship, and he just brought a whole thing of goo with him. At that point, he was just going to study it, to see what he can figure out. However, Wayland said he had to "do better" in a private convo, so David decides to cut to the chase and infect one of the crew, to get faster results. Holloway is drunk and apparently is a MEAN drunk, so he insults David more than a few times, and you can see the expression on David's face change slightly (to something more steely), whereupon he asks Holloway if there was a way to prove/find what he's been looking for all the time, would he take it? And Holloway says "absolutely," so David infects him.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Scene comparison (sorry that the quality isn't the best, I had to compress things... turn your volume up)

Theatrical Version:
[video]http://tinypic.com/r/2h8a1yo/6[/video]

Alternate Version:
[video]http://tinypic.com/r/30wr1v8/6[/video]

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of that cracked me up and there's no real excuse for those mistakes (like Shaw's inability to walk down a hall without staggering because of her gut wound but suddenly she's jumping crevasses with no problem, or all the aliens fleeing from an outbreak by hiding in the room full of goo, or the pictures of aliens back on Earth taking them to the equivalent of Anthrax Isle... why?)
Or the 30 seconds of oxygen that last for a good half hour...
Shit, overhyped sci-fi flicks are common enough, but for all those millions you'd think they could have employed someone to do a better job of continuity.
And why the fuck was she wearing bandages BEFORE her self-performed abortion? That was just mental. She looked (even more like) a pre-op transsexual.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
At first, when my usercp said people were posting in here again, I thought to myself, "Are you fucking kidding me?"

But some of that new stuff you posted, Jen, was actually really good.

Finally, some of the missing footage is being released -- there's supposed to be a good 25-30 minutes of scenes that were cut from the movie.

here's one of them. Well, look at that -- suddenly the scene with the Engineer clubbing Wayland to death makes sense, now that we see the footage of what Wayland says to him. We also get a clearer understanding of Wayland's logic and why he thinks he deserves what he is asking for... which then the alien directly answers, and perfectly, by his response.

Unfortunately, this seems to have been pulled from youtube, but I think it's in the 14 min video you posted later...

Depending on the rest of the released footage, we could potentially be looking at yet another instance of "Death by Studio Committee" for a motion picture.

I've got a suspicion about this that I'll post later...

I've heard the Extended/Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is pretty decent too, btw, in comparison to the theatrical release.

Never saw it (which was one of the funny parts about that "honest trailer" video [a good number of things in there, though, were stupid]), but was watching some of it (only about 10-15 minutes) for the first time a couple weeks ago (not sure which version) on HBO or Cinemax or something, and, while some of it was pretty cheesedick (the sets/costumes for the crowds looked almost as cheap as Hercules or Xena), it actually had some good actors/acting (although, Orlando Bloom is godawful), and seemed better than everything I'd heard about it.

Here's part of the opening scene:

Also taken off unfortunately...

And not sure if this made it into that 14 min clip...

Plus a link to a list of all deleted scenes, with links to where they were referenced (in interviews, etc.)

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/deleted-alternate-scenes/

A few of those were decent but a lot were just minor crap.

Also, here looks to be 14 minutes of the deleted footage, compiled into one video -- it's the second video down (right under the youtube one): http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3194600/get-a-taste-of-the-deleted-opening-scene-from-prometheus/

This was awesome. Thank you for posting.

That 14 min clip I've referenced a number of times above was great.

A lot of stuff in there seemed like it would have fleshed out the movie better.

I'm having trouble recalling what was in the original theatrical release, but one of the clips here has material right before the clip I posted above (where Wayland talks to the engineer), and it has Shaw trying to cut Wayland off and ask all the important questions -- why did they come? Why do they hate us? Why are they now out to get us? And Wayland cuts her off and demands immortality instead, claiming he deserves it.... If that didn't appear in the movie, it's a shame. It's a good scene, and it leaves you wondering if Wayland hadn't been there, if Shaw would have gotten some actual answers.

I thought there was better stuff missing that you've provided, but this was interesting.

I can see, to a degree, why they left it out, just to leave some more mystery as to what the deal is with the Engineers.

Also, it kinda makes Weyland look really one-dimensional and pretty damn stupid, as if this Engineer is gunna wake up from his 2,000-yr slumber, have some old bastard with horrible makeup who's basically to him what a monkey is to us, and just say, "Oh, yeah, here, here's the secret to eternal life."

I was planning to watch the entire movie again tonight but got wayland, err, waylaid, so I'll finish it tomorrow:

One reason I got slowed down is because the movie can sync up with your smartphone, especially easily if you've got a home wifi. So playing the movie on my PS3, with my phone running off my home network, every 1-4 minutes the movie was triggering something to play on my cell. (The movie would automatically pause while the video on my cell would kick off; and once the video finished, the phone would stop and the movie would continue.) It's kind of cool, actually.

It sounds kind of complicated/like a bitch to get done, but that does sound kind of cool.

What kind of videos was your phone interrupting with?

I saw a commercial hyping what I figure is this capability, but I usually figure that kind of stuff is almost all hype, and usually completely overrated.

The other reason is that I watched the 36 minutes of alternate/deleted footage.

So there were an additional 22 min of footage not shown in that 14 min clip???

My opinion is that Prometheus was damaged (maybe not fatally, but badly) through overzealous editing. I can't say the material was "crucial" in the sense that not having both of your lungs removed is crucial to your survival, but basically it really disrupted the thought process and foreshadowing of the film which made some of it difficult to follow and also made some of the character behavior seem non-sensible. My opinion is that about 75% of the material, reinserted back into the movie, would have made it a much better experience. I suppose length is a problem for some, but nowadays we've had blockbusters that are still yet longer than the 2:25 the movie might have been, so... if it makes the movie more enjoyable?

Hate... studio... execs....

:BangHead:

Scene comparison (sorry that the quality isn't the best, I had to compress things... turn your volume up)

Theatrical Version:
[video]http://tinypic.com/r/2h8a1yo/6[/video]

Alternate Version:
[video]http://tinypic.com/r/30wr1v8/6[/video]

Wow, that second scene was way better.

It was kinda subtle, and I only watched it once through, but it did seem way more effective.

If they had just kept that scene, you could have identified with some of the characters a lot more.

I disagree with your summary (not quoted) of it, though: I think it's more that she's just a power-hungry bitch.

Will there be an extended edition of the film released on video?

It's not clear.

This release, it looks like they just put a bunch of the deleted clips on as supplements. In the past Scott has given contradictory answers as far as an "official" extended/director's cut, where they incorporate all the footage right into the movie.

I hope they do. I still haven't seen this movie, and I'd like for there to be more content that provides better context when I do see it.

Ok, so here's what I figure: there was some mixture between studio exec idiots fucking the theatrical version up unintentionally (for time, et al?) and them somewhat intentionally fucking it up for mystery, controversy, and, most importantly, the opportunity to: 1) not only release a bunch of extra footage and thus, after having built up the mystery/controversy from the theatrical release, get a whole bunch more people to buy the blu-ray to try to figure/sort out the mystery/controversy; 2) open up the possibility for a Director's Cut release, on blu-ray, in theaters, or both, and thus make even more money; and 3) continue building on the franchise, via the aforementioned mystery, controversy, major blu-ray release with lots of additional information, and possibility of a Director's Cut, for the sequel, and whatever else may come of this franchise (I mean, let's be real, this movie has generated almost 300 posts on here, and is still having more added to it rather regularly, a fair number of months since its release, and even the haters are more likely than not going to go see whatever sequel they put out [hell, Jennifer, possibly the most vocal hater, bought the frickin blu-ray]).

Apparently, Lindeloff is out of writing the sequel, and, although Prometheus was by no means perfect, I think they definitely did what they seem to have really intended to do with this movie, which was reboot the franchise, and, if they do things right moving forward (which, granted, based on the execution of this movie, may be a big 'if'), there's definitely enough material here to make something pretty interesting/intriguing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or the 30 seconds of oxygen that last for a good half hour...
Shit, overhyped sci-fi flicks are common enough, but for all those millions you'd think they could have employed someone to do a better job of continuity.

Yeah, wtf is up with that? seriously, though. On occasion, someone will ignore a particular inconsistency because the story is more exciting without it, but if there are too many of those moments, it will derail the internal reality of the film. And it seems really stupid to waste millions and millions of dollars on something that could have been caught and fixed somehow, even by just making sure a character compensates/resolves a problem rather than violating the rules of reality.

And why the fuck was she wearing bandages BEFORE her self-performed abortion? That was just mental. She looked (even more like) a pre-op transsexual.

I guess that's their version of undergarments, but they looked remarkably like surgery skivvies -- i guess K-Mart had a Blue Light Special going on the week Costuming went out for garb.

zarathustra said:
I can see, to a degree, why they left it out, just to leave some more mystery as to what the deal is with the Engineers.

Also, it kinda makes Weyland look really one-dimensional and pretty damn stupid, as if this Engineer is gunna wake up from his 2,000-yr slumber, have some old bastard with horrible makeup who's basically to him what a monkey is to us, and just say, "Oh, yeah, here, here's the secret to eternal life."

Well, I guess it's a matter of being mysterious and interesting vs being opaque and unintelligible. The line probably has a gray area around it, where different people are better at "reading in" ... I think what I liked hearing was Wayland's philosophy of himself being a creator "just like the Engineers," they've both created life and are thus the same, and so it takes on new meaning when the Engineer picks up David as if to admire him and instead rips of his head and clubs Wayland to death with it. This really gives the sense of offense levied towards humanity; also, since we observed the act of creation by the Engineers and noted that it always involves a sacrifice of a life, whereas Wayland claims to have created but at no cost to himself and is now being a sniveling little baby about dying, the Engineer's disgust kind of syncs up with what we know of the original outbreak where teh Engineers were about to come back to Earth to destroy it... 2000 years ago. Presumably the crucifixion of Jesus contributed to their "fuck all this shit, let's wipe the planet clean and start over," as Jesus was a creator/lifegiver through the act of sacrifice as well, as opposed to a schmuck like Wayland.

What kind of videos was your phone interrupting with?

In between any triggered videos it was showing image -- schematics, art direction, storyboards, etc.

The videos included things like alternate scene takes, interviews with various crew to highlight something in the playing scene, some deleted scenes, etc. Crew interviews could involve anyone from a writer to an art director to a music person to the guys who designed the spaceship, etc. Usually interesting to know.

I think it's more that she's just a power-hungry bitch.

I think that was part of it. Like father, like daughter, you know. And she was her father's daughter. But yes, presumably part of it was that she was not allowed to embrace her own heritage because her father wouldn't die and get out of the way.

[hell, Jennifer, possibly the most vocal hater, bought the frickin blu-ray]).
I took a bullet for you guys! Remember this! :D

The movie seemed better with the supplemental material, although as Orangey and Salome and others noted, there's a bunch of stupid inconsistent shit that drags the movie down.

I'm glad Lindleloff is likely out of the picture. (I think Noomi and Fassbender have signed on, though.) I'm getting the impression Lindleloff is an ideas guy but not much of a logical cause-effect or consistency guy -- my big complaints about Lost in the last few seasons weren't necessarily about some of the ideas but how they were executed and just seemed to be a mess and/or degrade the story, whereas they could have been handled more consistently and more interestingly. Hopefully the next writer will be more on target.

LEGERdeMAIN

Yeah, wtf is up with that? seriously, though. On occasion, someone will ignore a particular inconsistency because the story is more exciting without it, but if there are too many of those moments, it will derail the internal reality of the film. And it seems really stupid to waste millions and millions of dollars on something that could have been caught and fixed somehow, even by just making sure a character compensates/resolves a problem rather than violating the rules of reality.

I guess that's their version of undergarments, but they looked remarkably like surgery skivvies -- i guess K-Mart had a Blue Light Special going on the week Costuming went out for garb.

You may not know this, but Prometheus actually takes place in a parallel, but equal universe

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
A genuinely boring and unoriginal movie, despite being initially atmospheric and well marketed. The opening scene (Lord Voldemort lookalike alien drinks poison) was the best in the film, how sad is that?

5/10. Not awful but completely mediocre.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
mediocre story, i agree. saw it twice. didn't pull me in, least near the end, when it should have been at the peak of tension.

best scene ... i don't even know....

i'm afraid the trailer that introduces the android/fassbender fascinated me more, than a scene from the actual movie.

worst scene: the bad guy, the old man, with his really bad make up - any scene with him.
(why??? are there no old actors???? - if they die on set, replace them. take a risk, man.)

i like it, nevertheless. i'm still a sucker for science fiction with good aesthetical production.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
worst scene: the bad guy, the old man, with his really bad make up - any scene with him.
(why??? are there no old actors???? - if they die on set, replace them. take a risk, man.)

FWIW, I think that was a change in the story.

They cast Guy Pierce because they originally expected to have Wayland appear as a younger man in the movie. Then basically things changed and there ended up being no scenes of Wayland as a young guy, but they ended up doing the old man's makeup with Pierce since he was already cast in the part. I think this contributed to the manufactured TED Talk that you can find on the 'net (I think it's out there) plus on the disc extras. TBH, I think Pierce's TED Talk is better than many scenes that actually made it into the movie.

Aging makeup looks bad if overdone, and I felt this way here -- it was too much and didn't look as real, even if I felt Pierce did a great job playing the role.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i'm afraid the trailer that introduces the android/fassbender fascinated me more, than a scene from the actual movie.

I think this contributed to the manufactured TED Talk that you can find on the 'net (I think it's out there) plus on the disc extras. TBH, I think Pierce's TED Talk is better than many scenes that actually made it into the movie.

This is the most frustrating thing about this movie, to me. The marketing is more intriguing than the actual movie. It had (and has!) such a cool mystique around it with some really good multimedia tie-ins and viral marketing stuff. I wanted it to be so good. And atmospherically I did like it. It's just that none of the story scaffolding was strong enough to give the atmosphere or the buzz surrounding it any legs.

KDude

Finally saw this. I think I'm too much of an optimist for Ridley Scott. As entertaining as his movies are, I'm tired of sci fi philosophy like his.. he's scared of the future. "Progress" is a Pandora's Box lurking in the shadows to fuck you in the ass.

I'll take Star Trek instead. Or even Avatar, which is at least slightly optimistic. I have no shame about it.

Beorn

Permabanned
I just checked IMDB for the sequel and holy shit I think Ridley Scott wants to live forever. He's 75 and currently listed as producer on more than a dozen upcoming projects. I realize that some of those projects might require minimal input from him, but he's still listed as executive producer of 4 of them.

This was my first Alien film as I'm not into the more horror side of sci-fi. It didn't live up to my expectations based on the marketing, but I almost always enjoy origin stories for some reason. Thus, I generally liked this one despite it's faults and my need to do extra research after watching the film to put the pieces together.

Jaguar

I just checked IMDB for the sequel and holy shit I think Ridley Scott wants to live forever. He's 75 and currently listed as producer on more than a dozen upcoming projects. I realize that some of those projects might require minimal input from him, but he's still listed as executive producer of 4 of them.

This was my first Alien film as I'm not into the more horror side of sci-fi. It didn't live up to my expectations based on the marketing, but I almost always enjoy origin stories for some reason. Thus, I generally liked this one despite it's faults and my need to do extra research after watching the film to put the pieces together.

Beef, if I hadn't seen your post on iSpy, I wouldn't have Googled one of my fav directors— Tony Scott. (I loved his artistic style.) I had no idea he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, last August. He had an inoperable brain tumor.

Beorn

Permabanned
Beef, if I hadn't seen your post on iSpy, I wouldn't have Googled one of my fav directors— Tony Scott. (I loved his artistic style.) I had no idea he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, last August. He had an inoperable brain tumor.

I remember reading about that this summer (unless I'm thinking of someone else from Hollywood who jumped off a bridge.) At the time I didn't realize who he was and what he had worked on. Really a sad loss. However, some brief research indicates that the initial reports of brain cancer were false and that he was relatively healthy when he died according to the coroner. He was on a SSRI and I bet that had to do with it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Is that what the last prognosis was? I had heard it expressed as a possibility for his suicide, but hadn't known it was confirmed.

Yeah, it was all over the news for a week when he died, especially due to his relation to Ridley.

Jaguar

Is that what the last prognosis was? I had heard it expressed as a possibility for his suicide, but hadn't known it was confirmed.

Yeah, it was all over the news for a week when he died, especially due to his relation to Ridley.

It looks like the final report listed Lunesta and Mirtazapine in his system, but no mention of a brain tumor. (Apparently, the initial reports of cancer were conflicting.) I must have been "out to lunch" to have missed the news of his suicide.