• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stop nitpicking, IMDBro.

Hah. Nice name for it. Yes, that's exactly where the plot-hole meme originated. Every IMDBro wants to be a reviewer when he grows up and use big reviewer words. In fact, plot-holes are very rare. People that make movies are real, real smart, they are even college edumacated, and they usually don't let things like that just slip by them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, you do not: it endangers my conclusion.

Nice save. :D

This part sums up my impression pretty well: "hinting at some provocative topics but never really actualizing the exploration of them, dropping straight into horror convention in spots", expect the spots fill the whole screen towards the end.

I think what made it work for me is that I felt the characters were very strongly defined, and I cared about them. Even Mace, who starts out looking like a creep, ended up to me to be probably the voice of reason and responsibility on the ship, and admirable in his relentless pursuit of the goal.

I just really didn't understand much about what made these characters tick, except for maybe the three leads (Vickers, David, and Noomi's character, whose name i can't even recall!)

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I was saying that online reviewers often like to mention the "plot-hole" meme. But I did not see those kinds of gaps, omissions, or character inconstencies in Prometheus.

You wouldn't.

What I saw were questions left unanswered. But those leave holes in your mind, as it were. Those are not plot holes per se.

Are we arguing semantics now? Christ's sake.

Prometheus is a SERIOUSLY flawed piece of work. And its faults go all the way to the bone.
This could have been a cerebral sci-fi classic, but instead it cashes out early on.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just for the sake of conversation, I'll go out on a limb here and offer an example of what I think is a movie plot-hole in the Stephen King movie Dreamcatcher (a character from which is my present avatar).

The character Henry talks Owen into giving him a ride in an army truck to find his buddies and to pick up Duddits. Henry convinces him by showing ESP powers - knowledge of things he can't possibly know about. But why would Owen believe Henry? After all, there are alien "hitchhikers" taking over human bodies and appearing in human form. And these aliens are known to have similar powers to Henry's. And, his boss Curtis had recently warned him to be on the look out for hitchhikers. Worse yet, there is no reason for anybody to believe that a mere human such as Henry could show such abilities. I realize that Owen didn't like the things that Curtis was up to, and believed he had gone off the deep end (compare to Col. Kurtz). But still, the aliens were far worse a threat. Owen had no reason to believe Henry's story, but he did.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You wouldn't.

Are we arguing semantics now? Christ's sake.

Prometheus is a SERIOUSLY flawed piece of work. And its faults go all the way to the bone.
This could have been a cerebral sci-fi classic, but instead it cashes out early on.

That's called hyperbole, another methodology of the IMDBro.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People that make movies are real, real smart, they are even college edumacated, and they usually don't let things like that just slip by them.

Well, I think you kind of stepped over the cliff with a sweeping generalization like that. There's lots of bad movies with lots of plot holes, unless of course having any reason -- however stupid -- for something happening counts as cover for a plot hole.

(Kind of like laying down concrete vs wood slats vs cardboard vs tissue paper over an actual hole ... maybe the hole is covered, but I know which one(s) i'll trust with my weight.)

Just for the sake of conversation, I'll go out on a limb here and offer an example of what I think is a movie plot-hole in the Stephen King movie Dreamcatcher (a character from which is my present avatar).

The character Henry talks Owen into giving him a ride in an army truck to find his buddies and to pick up Duddits. Henry convinces him by showing ESP powers - knowledge of things he can't possibly know about. But why would Owen believe Henry? After all, there are alien "hitchhikers" taking over human bodies and appearing in human form. And these aliens are known to have similar powers to Henry's. And, his boss Curtis had recently warned him to be on the look out for hitchhikers. Worse yet, there is no reason for anybody to believe that a mere human such as Henry would show such abilities. I realize that Owen didn't like the things that Curtis was up to, and believed he had gone off the deep end (compare to Col. Kurtz). But still, the aliens were far worse a threat. Owen had no reason to believe Henry's story, but he did.

Sure he had a reason: Owen simply isn't that smart. he believed in what his eyes could see rather than what makes rational sense. I don't really consider this example to be much different than the garbage I was seeing elsewhere.

(Example on par: An alien spacecraft collides with another spaceship in the atmosphere. One ship explodes, the other crashes and rolls. It's likely that the g-force and impacts alone would render any mortal being unconscious for at least a short period of time. It's also plausible that the infrastucture of the alien ship should be damaged and devastated from such a crash. Not only is the ship not apparently broken, but the alien commander somehow stays awake, immediately unbuckles himself, somehow quickly gets out of his ship, and then manages to know exactly what piece of flotsam to go to in order to track down the only human that happens to still be alive on the moon's surface, in record time!)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't feel like getting into all of it, but I thought it was really dumb that the guy who sent the electronic sniffers around the tunnels (which ended up being a ship) and seemed to be the hardheaded cynic managed to somehow be the guy who got lost for hours on end in a limited number of passageways.

You think he could have recalled the sniffers and gotten out just fine, or that he would have had a map. (and let's hang out in the room with all the goo! Yeah baby!)

THat was just one stupid thing.

I felt like he was a redshirt being driven to his death by a simplistic writer.

Yes that's been mentioned before. Of course that's not a plot-hole, it's more like a deux ex machina, as your last statement indicated.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes that's been mentioned before. Of course that's not a plot-hole, it's more like a deux ex machina, as your last statement indicated.

It's the same thing, dolt.
And it is DEUS EX MACHINA.
You can't even spell it right. So much for your college education.

Go sniff some glue, kid.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I think you kind of stepped over the cliff with a sweeping generalization like that. There's lots of bad movies with lots of plot holes, unless of course having any reason -- however stupid -- for something happening counts as cover for a plot hole.

(Kind of like laying down concrete vs wood slats vs cardboard vs tissue paper over an actual hole ... maybe the hole is covered, but I know which one(s) i'll trust with my weight.)

Sure, there's lots of movies - and lot of really, really bad movies - but a Ridley Scott movie is not one of those. I think my Dreamcatcher movie example should help show what I mean by this plot-hole problem, in that it has nothing to do with a lack of answers to questions raised in the movie.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can't even spell it right. So much for you college education.

Go sniff some glue, kid.

You lost your temper. Silly online reviewer. Anyway, you have not explained what exactly makes these things plotholes, you only copied some general definition from Wiki.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is what I thought was the point of her character in the movie:

Um...wow. You're reading too much into it. (And I think you're just seeing what you want to see.)

Remember a movie called Alien released back in 1979? It was just a monster movie! Prometheus should've stayed the same way. If you're going to have a bunch of characters to kill off, so be it. But don't give them unnecessary build-up for such an anticlimactic conclusion! (I wanted to see an epic catfight between the original girl with the dragon tattoo and the bitch, even more epic than the one in Aliens.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can't even spell it right. So much for you college education.

Go sniff some glue, kid.

I'd like to rename it the Duck Ex Machina, hee... to commemorate you, you know.
(sorry. Ne spasm. Sorry!)

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The characters were one dimensional and the plot was generic, but neither of those ruined the film for me as they served an adequate platform that (to me) carried a central theme which Ridley Scott already explored in his Blade Runner, which is not the nature of life and its distinction from machines, but the relationship between a sentient being and its maker.
In a way it succeeds as a generic film, fails as a quality film, but then again succeeds as an inquiry into the human condition.

prometheus-michael-fassbender_400.jpg

"Don’t all children really want their parents dead?"

Maybe I just relate to Scott's daddy issues.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The characters were one dimensional and the plot was generic, but neither of those ruined the film for me as they served an adequate platform that (to me) carried a central theme that Ridley Scott already explored in his Blade Runner, which is not the nature of life and its distinction from machines, but the relationship between a sentient being and its maker.
In a way it succeeds as a generic film, fails as a quality film, but then again succeeds as an inquiry into the human condition

Objectivity at last!

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
You lost your temper. Silly online reviewer. Anyway, you have not explained what exactly makes these things plotholes, you only copied some general definition from Wiki.

Example: The alien penis snake. The two scientists played with it like a puppy.
Despite the fact that it was TERRITORIAL and aggressive.
Remember how it initially hissed and lunged at them?

This was the precise moment I gave up on the movie and shut my brain off.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Example: The alien penis snake. The two scientists played with it like a puppy.
Despite the fact that it was TERRITORIAL and aggressive.
Remember how it initially hissed and lunged at them?

This was the precise moment I gave up on the movie and shut my brain off.

I agree, that wasn't a believable moment. But I want to see the plot-hole. I want to see the moment where someone like Owen gave a ride to someone like Henry, and even broke him out of the quarantine camp I should add, when all his training tells him that Henry should be a hitchhiking alien, and all his common-sense tells him that humans don't have ESP powers.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, I hope I get The Hulk cover in the mail:

Cinefex130.gif

Because the other cover sucks balls.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I agree, that wasn't a believable moment. But I want to see the plot-hole. I want to see the moment where someone like Owen gave a ride to someone like Henry, and even broke him out of the quarantine camp I should add, when all his training tells him that Henry should be a hitchhiking alien, and all his common-sense tells him that humans don't have ESP powers.

...What in the hell are you babbling on about, fool?

Plothole!

They're fuckin' SCIENTISTS. Okay? Highly intelligent, rational minds.
And they're members of a once-in-a-lifetime TRILLION dollar interstellar adventure.

Do the math.