• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I agree, it was annoying, but I assume this was to set them up to be explored in the next movie....hopefully.

Hopefully.

Call me skeptical, though. Leaving your first movie stripped to the bone and hanging with few threads holding it up, just to examine questions in your second movie is just not really a great way to make a coherent work. If that was the case, they should have strengthened the threads to pull the viewers into the next movie. oh well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the movie offered up plenty of food for thought.

honestly, I personally was understimulated by the movie. It barely gave me anything to think about. So I'm honestly curious to hear what stimulated you, since it didn't do anything for me.

I had a substitute teacher my senior year of high school who did as well. I'm pretty sure he represented the beginning of the hipster movement. I got in an argument with him about it in physics class. He said it was just a Braveheart redux. I kind of agreed with him to an extent, but, I mean, read some Joseph Campbell. The stories we tell are often extremely similar. He also said that Braveheart sucked. At that point, I realized that, despite the fact that he was probably in his late 20s, and I was only 17, I was pretty sure, if I needed to, I could kill him with my bare hands. In fact, I probably would've put money on my sister if the two of them were fighting. That was my first encounter with the thought that later became applicable to almost all hipsters: that some men's absence of masculinity leads them to trash "traditional" masculinity, and the things that honor/respect/uphold it, because, if it came down to it, they would likely get their ass kicked by most athletic girls.

sadly, I was very enamoured with Braveheart when it came out, but as time passed, I ended up feeling that Rob Roy (which was understated) was a much "better" movie in terms of sheer realism and characterization. Braveheart, I guess, does what it does well -- it seems like an ENFP wet dream, to be honest, with very broad philosophical and humanitarian themes promoted heavily, and the ideas weren't bad, but it seemed a bit over-dramatic upon repeated viewings to me and over the top.

I, personally, very much like Gladiator, but I know there are a fair number of people who will criticize it, and I don't think it's completely out of the realm of "criticizeability" (although, in general, I think the people who will criticize it will do so mostly because they don't like those kinds of movies).

I think the more realistic approach to similar themes to me leaves me calling it a "better" movie than Braveheart in my eyes, although I know some were likely not as inspired by it.

I can agree more with this.
She probably could've been better utilized.
But, I mean, the story is the story; what more did she need to do?

I had a big issue with the story and thought it was rather stupid. I would rather have story flow from character, rather than characters be dragged along in the wake of the plot.

But maybe that's the writer in me coming out. I even like to have my villains fleshed out; I want readers to actually feel something when something happens to the characters. I want it to be meaningful.

I read this really lousy fantasy book in the 80's called Wizard War or something. There were three wizards who were all kind of cliches, on this quest. About 3/4 of the way through, one of them broke his arm in a routine mishap, got pneumonia, and died, all in the space of maybe a page or two.

It was one of the worst books I've read in my life.

:laugh:

Me neither.

I love the first one; saw the second one before I ever saw the first one, when I was really young (same thing for T2 vs T1), and loved it, so, while it's definitely hokier than the first (once again, just like T2 vs T1 [although T1 has some hoke, too]), it's still an enjoyable film to watch, and I give it two thumbs up; the third I remember kinda watching a bunch of times, but I always thought it kinda was crap; the fourth, I just have/had absolutely no desire to see (and I saw both AVP movies!).

I actually saw both AVP movies too. Since I wasn't expecting much, they actually didn't bother me much, and I could enjoy them on that level.

I think Joss Whedon did the script, didn't he, for Alien Res? Apparently there was a huge "tone" issue -- he wrote one kind of script from which someone tried to direct a very different kind of movie. Result: Kaplooey.

I'm a big fan of the first two terminator movies. I saw T2 at a midnight showing either Wednesday or Thursday night when it was released, the theater was packed. It was so bad-ass, until that point moprhing (in computer terms) didn't yet exist and Cameron created the tech for that movie. watching the t-1000 do its thing was just mind-blowing even if today it seems old hat. And the director's cut of the movie was even better. Cameron's usually good with that.

So T1 was meaningful (with Reese to me being the central drama of the story -- this guy who loves this girl and is faithful to humanity's cause and John Connor comes back to save Connor's mom and ends up being his father, and Connor knew it all along when he sent him back), but a little dated due to the tech at the time. Still, just an awesome movie... and somehow T2 managed to take things up a notch and keep the intensity coming.

And then T3 was just someone's rip-off of the first two movies. I thought T4 actually was a bit better, and dealt with the theme of "what makes someone human." People's fates are a theme throughout all the T movies -- "our fate is what we make it" -- so it was nice they kept some continuity there.

I don't think the Alien franchine fared quite so well, after the first two movies were in the hopper.

I agree with everyone who nailed Vicks as an extreme Self-Preservation. Very very clear on that count.

Some viewers have suggested she is an android herself, for bits of evidence (such as her slamming David with ease against the wall in one scene). i don't really think that's the case, since Wayland needed to have a son apparently enough to build an android son for himself, and wasn't happy with having a bio daughter... plus the entire med unit which was one of 12 in existence and costing lots of money would have been completely useless for an android woman. It doesn't make sense for her to be anything but bio.

EDIT: I will also state that before I saw the movie, I wasn't even aware of the possibility of a second one. That never crossed my mind until I left the theater and/or saw the very end of the movie. So that also has factored into my perception of the movie, that the entire viewing I was judging it as a standalone piece. It certainly didn't help my attitude toward it.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Saw a midnight showing Thursday night.

Pros:

-Induced a sense of wonder and awe--something that is significantly missing in modern big budget Hollywood fare.

-Instantly iconic performance from Fassbender. Successful performances by Theron and Elba; the latter deserves a shot at the A-list.

-Visually stunning and beautifully shot. The opening sequence and spaceship crash validate the overpriced IMAX 3D.

-The best "Alien" entry since 1986. Ridley Scott has returned to science fiction and we're all the better for it.

Cons:

-The script was a disaster. Midway through it gave up and lost sight of what it wished to be.

-Horrible characterizations. The two scientists lost in the compound and Tom Hardy Jr. were practically Red Shirt extras from Star Trek.

-The final 15-20 minutes leading up to that obligatory final shot.

-The Space Jockey. One of the most intriguing, most discussed cinema creations of all time is reduced to a pale, bald-headed, bi-polar, B-movie raging serial killer. No...just no.

-Creature design. Perfunctory, uninspired and non-threatening. Yes, the mouth-raping alien snake is deliberately phallic. We get it.

-Too vague. The film presents large scale ideas but the plot holes and murky details rob them of its focus.

After reading the reviews from audiences in Europe (who got the film early), I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm having a hard time discerning whether the Engineer was CG or make-up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will be offering my take on it tonight on vent (from The Mountaintop) for all who are interested.

Oh well. I don't do Vent, and I won't be getting home until after 11pm anyway. Thanks anyway.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-Too vague. The film presents large scale ideas but the plot holes and murky details rob them of its focus.

My Xmas wish this year is that online reviewers finally learn what a plot-hole is.

Edit, as a side note, the murky details are bound to be filled in with a sequel. It's obvious that this movie is a franchise attempt very very similar to Alien. So we'll just have to wait and find out what the black goo is exactly, and things like that. Alien, when it first came out, had similar issues, just not as many.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
My Xmas wish this year is that online reviewers finally learn what a plot-hole is.

Edit, as a side note, the murky details are bound to be filled in with a sequel. It's obvious that this movie is a franchise attempt very very similar to Alien. So we'll just have to wait and find out what the black goo is exactly, and things like that. Alien, when it first came out, had similar issues, just not as many.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot, or constitutes a blatant omission of relevant information regarding the plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, events happening for no apparent reason, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline."

As you were saying?

I enjoyed the movie immensely, but in order to do that I had to switch my brain off and take it at face value.
I suspect this was not the intention for a picture that aimed to ask "big questions".

F

FigerPuppet

It was a great movie.

I would like to see a list detailing these supposed plot holes.

Nicodemus

I really like Ridley Scott, the cast is top-notch, and as it turned out, the visuals were also excellent. The movie was shot in 3D and it showed, and some of the landscapes and holograms and stars maps were just beautiful. But the script basically was below par -- hinting at some provocative topics but never really actualizing the exploration of them, dropping straight into horror convention in spots (i.e., smart characters doing dumb things for plot convenience), and I felt like the film really lost its way, coming out as bland and aimless.
First I read this and thought: 'Sunshine'.

It was a great movie.
Now I read this, and all hope is lost.

F

figsfiggyfigs

It was okay as a movie. Definitely has its thrilling moments. Some of the scenes were really great, but over all, the general plot was interesting, but something was still lacking. Man I HATED the chick's boyfriend, I didn't understand wtf she saw in him. I liked her though, mostly because she always managed to survive. I enjoyed it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First I read this and thought: 'Sunshine'.

Awwwww nuts... come on! I *like* Danny Boyle's Sunshine! :(

... although I agree the thing with Pinbacker needed a bit more exploration and it kind of never really sealed the deal.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

As you were saying?

I was saying that online reviewers often like to mention the "plot-hole" meme. But I did not see those kinds of gaps, omissions, or character inconstencies in Prometheus. What I saw were questions left unanswered. But those leave holes in your mind, as it were. Those are not plot holes per se.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Those are not plot holes per se.

I don't feel like getting into all of it, but I thought it was really dumb that the guy who sent the electronic sniffers around the tunnels (which ended up being a ship) and seemed to be the hardheaded cynic managed to somehow be the guy who got lost for hours on end in a limited number of passageways.

You think he could have recalled the sniffers and gotten out just fine, or that he would have had a map. (and let's hang out in the room with all the goo! Yeah baby!)

THat was just one stupid thing.

I felt like he was a redshirt being driven to his death by a simplistic writer.

Nicodemus

Awwwww nuts... come on! I *like* Danny Boyle's Sunshine! :(
No, you do not: it endangers my conclusion.

... although I agree the thing with Pinbacker needed a bit more exploration and it kind of never really sealed the deal.
This part sums up my impression pretty well: "hinting at some provocative topics but never really actualizing the exploration of them, dropping straight into horror convention in spots", expect the spots fill the whole screen towards the end.