User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 302

Thread: Prometheus

  1. #81
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Stop nitpicking, IMDBro.
    Hah. Nice name for it. Yes, that's exactly where the plot-hole meme originated. Every IMDBro wants to be a reviewer when he grows up and use big reviewer words. In fact, plot-holes are very rare. People that make movies are real, real smart, they are even college edumacated, and they usually don't let things like that just slip by them.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  2. #82
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No, you do not: it endangers my conclusion.
    Nice save.

    This part sums up my impression pretty well: "hinting at some provocative topics but never really actualizing the exploration of them, dropping straight into horror convention in spots", expect the spots fill the whole screen towards the end.
    I think what made it work for me is that I felt the characters were very strongly defined, and I cared about them. Even Mace, who starts out looking like a creep, ended up to me to be probably the voice of reason and responsibility on the ship, and admirable in his relentless pursuit of the goal.

    I just really didn't understand much about what made these characters tick, except for maybe the three leads (Vickers, David, and Noomi's character, whose name i can't even recall!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I was saying that online reviewers often like to mention the "plot-hole" meme. But I did not see those kinds of gaps, omissions, or character inconstencies in Prometheus.
    You wouldn't.

    What I saw were questions left unanswered. But those leave holes in your mind, as it were. Those are not plot holes per se.
    Are we arguing semantics now? Christ's sake.

    Prometheus is a SERIOUSLY flawed piece of work. And its faults go all the way to the bone.
    This could have been a cerebral sci-fi classic, but instead it cashes out early on.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Just for the sake of conversation, I'll go out on a limb here and offer an example of what I think is a movie plot-hole in the Stephen King movie Dreamcatcher (a character from which is my present avatar).

    The character Henry talks Owen into giving him a ride in an army truck to find his buddies and to pick up Duddits. Henry convinces him by showing ESP powers - knowledge of things he can't possibly know about. But why would Owen believe Henry? After all, there are alien "hitchhikers" taking over human bodies and appearing in human form. And these aliens are known to have similar powers to Henry's. And, his boss Curtis had recently warned him to be on the look out for hitchhikers. Worse yet, there is no reason for anybody to believe that a mere human such as Henry could show such abilities. I realize that Owen didn't like the things that Curtis was up to, and believed he had gone off the deep end (compare to Col. Kurtz). But still, the aliens were far worse a threat. Owen had no reason to believe Henry's story, but he did.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  5. #85
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    You wouldn't.



    Are we arguing semantics now? Christ's sake.

    Prometheus is a SERIOUSLY flawed piece of work. And its faults go all the way to the bone.
    This could have been a cerebral sci-fi classic, but instead it cashes out early on.
    That's called hyperbole, another methodology of the IMDBro.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #86
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    People that make movies are real, real smart, they are even college edumacated, and they usually don't let things like that just slip by them.
    Well, I think you kind of stepped over the cliff with a sweeping generalization like that. There's lots of bad movies with lots of plot holes, unless of course having any reason -- however stupid -- for something happening counts as cover for a plot hole.

    (Kind of like laying down concrete vs wood slats vs cardboard vs tissue paper over an actual hole ... maybe the hole is covered, but I know which one(s) i'll trust with my weight.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Just for the sake of conversation, I'll go out on a limb here and offer an example of what I think is a movie plot-hole in the Stephen King movie Dreamcatcher (a character from which is my present avatar).

    The character Henry talks Owen into giving him a ride in an army truck to find his buddies and to pick up Duddits. Henry convinces him by showing ESP powers - knowledge of things he can't possibly know about. But why would Owen believe Henry? After all, there are alien "hitchhikers" taking over human bodies and appearing in human form. And these aliens are known to have similar powers to Henry's. And, his boss Curtis had recently warned him to be on the look out for hitchhikers. Worse yet, there is no reason for anybody to believe that a mere human such as Henry would show such abilities. I realize that Owen didn't like the things that Curtis was up to, and believed he had gone off the deep end (compare to Col. Kurtz). But still, the aliens were far worse a threat. Owen had no reason to believe Henry's story, but he did.
    Sure he had a reason: Owen simply isn't that smart. he believed in what his eyes could see rather than what makes rational sense. I don't really consider this example to be much different than the garbage I was seeing elsewhere.

    (Example on par: An alien spacecraft collides with another spaceship in the atmosphere. One ship explodes, the other crashes and rolls. It's likely that the g-force and impacts alone would render any mortal being unconscious for at least a short period of time. It's also plausible that the infrastucture of the alien ship should be damaged and devastated from such a crash. Not only is the ship not apparently broken, but the alien commander somehow stays awake, immediately unbuckles himself, somehow quickly gets out of his ship, and then manages to know exactly what piece of flotsam to go to in order to track down the only human that happens to still be alive on the moon's surface, in record time!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #87
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't feel like getting into all of it, but I thought it was really dumb that the guy who sent the electronic sniffers around the tunnels (which ended up being a ship) and seemed to be the hardheaded cynic managed to somehow be the guy who got lost for hours on end in a limited number of passageways.

    You think he could have recalled the sniffers and gotten out just fine, or that he would have had a map. (and let's hang out in the room with all the goo! Yeah baby!)

    THat was just one stupid thing.

    I felt like he was a redshirt being driven to his death by a simplistic writer.
    Yes that's been mentioned before. Of course that's not a plot-hole, it's more like a deux ex machina, as your last statement indicated.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Yes that's been mentioned before. Of course that's not a plot-hole, it's more like a deux ex machina, as your last statement indicated.
    It's the same thing, dolt.
    And it is DEUS EX MACHINA.
    You can't even spell it right. So much for your college education.

    Go sniff some glue, kid.

  9. #89
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, I think you kind of stepped over the cliff with a sweeping generalization like that. There's lots of bad movies with lots of plot holes, unless of course having any reason -- however stupid -- for something happening counts as cover for a plot hole.

    (Kind of like laying down concrete vs wood slats vs cardboard vs tissue paper over an actual hole ... maybe the hole is covered, but I know which one(s) i'll trust with my weight.)
    Sure, there's lots of movies - and lot of really, really bad movies - but a Ridley Scott movie is not one of those. I think my Dreamcatcher movie example should help show what I mean by this plot-hole problem, in that it has nothing to do with a lack of answers to questions raised in the movie.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #90
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    It's the same thing, dolt.
    And it is DEUS EX MACHINA.
    You can't even spell it right. So much for you college education.

    Go sniff some glue, kid.
    You lost your temper. Silly online reviewer. Anyway, you have not explained what exactly makes these things plotholes, you only copied some general definition from Wiki.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. The Vatican's Opinion of the Movie 'Prometheus'
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
  2. Prometheus Review: Are the Answers Here?
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 06:10 PM
  3. [NT] The Prometheus spirit
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO