• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]: I'm sorry but i can't enjoy the movie unless it makes sense. I honestly can't. If it's bullshit, them it's bullshit. It surprises me how many of you Ni'ers can play let's pretend, because it's beyond me. I know I'm pretending, and it would just be a lie. I also cannot equate possibility with probabilty. What you suggest is possible but not probable.

Well this sort of leap and [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]'s nitpick-to-the-extreme complaint about g forces don't bother me too much. I'm imaginative enough to assume a creator-level intelligence can devise a suspended animation apparatus or successfully design something to mitigate acceleration changes in their spaceships.

I'm with Jock on this one.

And, if you don't mind my asking: is there something about aliens with extremely corrosive acid for blood that grow from a tiny chestburster to larger than humans in a single day that seems particularly probable, not simply possible, to you? If so, that Ti kool-aid you're drinking must be amazing.

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
'Bender-bot put a drop of that black ooze shit in Tom Hardy Jr's. Cristal and then they bumped uglies. Tom Hardy Jr. "infected" her with the virus. So to speak.

Damn men, always wanting to bump uglies and infect women with their parasitic squidbabies.

:azdaja:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose we have just given up on using spoiler tags by now, but I'll still try...

I dunno. That's just one of many questions I've been thinking about since seeing the film, and its lack of resolution doesn't so much annoy me, as make me interested in what directions the mythology could possibly be taken.

I don't know if anybody answered this one yet, but it's an incomplete answer anyway. The aliens were attacked by their own weaponized genetics. We don't know how any more than the Earthers do. The bodies then decomposed. The one in the suit couldn't decompose because of the suit. Only one of them was smart enough to hide out in deep-freeze or else the other containers suffered power failures over time.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
'Bender-bot put a drop of that black ooze shit in Tom Hardy Jr's. Cristal and then they bumped uglies. Tom Hardy Jr. "infected" her with the virus. So to speak.

I knew it was something like that. But the fact is, the Virgin Mary could have been infected with human genes, somehow, using alien technology, thus giving rise to the virgin birth story.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Maybe she was the town bicycle that kept her mouth shut (as opposed to something else).

Who knows?
Who cares?

The movie is pissing me off the more I think about it.

V

violaine

Pfft, wouldn't say I'm entirely able to play let's pretend [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] , for instance, I'm not at all religious. Also can't quite believe some of the posts in this thread.

Some things are just a matter of taste and/or getting it in a different way. Not figuring out the first scene is definitely going to make it hard to be in the mindset of someone who saw that, got it and was charmed right away. There are movies I obviously don't get - Avengers - ninety something percent on rotten tomatoes, wtf?

----

I don't really care what anything else thinks in terms of bending someone to my POV. I didn't miss anything. I was just watching from my own perspective. I'm also very visual as opposed to tuned in to words, which is secondary for me. Maybe even further down the list. I have a few prejudices myself, which are that I prefer the chance to speculate a bit and that I don't like being led by the hand from where A is supposed to connect to B and C. I'm glad they didn't pace it like Alien because that would have been too much similarity for me - I like newness and experimentation, even if it doesn't quite get there. (That's how we make innovative leaps!) I appreciate the f**k out of anything that makes my thoughts cascade too. Engineer plotline was just so interesting to me. (I want to believe!). Agree with [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] as to why. I'm so glad we got to see one come to life later on. :wizfreak: Oh, anyone else notice what I assume is the deliberate resemblance to ye olde Greek and Roman statues? I loved that little detail and what it suggested - and it multiplied the pleasure I felt from some years ago standing in front of those statues in Italy. Movies are a personal experience and not everyone has the same flipbook of associations. Not everyone is even making associations when they watch a film. This particular movie conjured up a lot of things from my personal scrapbook that were interesting as hell for me to revisit. And so on and so forth... I'm still thinking about it in my downtime! And I can't wait to see the next installment. Gotta love that.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Not figuring out the first scene is definitely going to make it hard to be in the mindset of someone who saw that, got it and was charmed right away.

I, personally, think it's still a bit open to interpretation.

I had a number of possible options (that have not been talked about really at all in this thread) from the get-go, and they are all still kinda possible.

Some are more likely than others, and, as they were landing in front of the alien structure, I figured I had the whole thing figured out, but, by the end of it, I largely felt left wondering what the hell the truth is, and, at least for me, that's not a position I feel particularly uncomfortable to be in. In fact, as you express (regarding yourself) below, I kinda like it. I think it's actually a place where Ni doms probably feel more comfortable, cuz I think this is how we look at the world already: mysterious, so many possibilities, never exactly sure what the truth is. Ti doms, I feel, need their explanation (enneagram 5s, in particular, but there is no stronger correlation between the MBTI and the enneagram than Ti doms and e5s) of things, they need to destroy the mystery, they need to have clarity, and I think being in the situation this movie leaves you in, of not knowing, of having so many unanswered questions, is probably not enjoyable to them at all (and, for the millionth time, people: I'm speaking of tendencies, tendencies).

There are movies I obviously don't get - Avengers - ninety something percent on rotten tomatoes, wtf?

I loved The Avengers.

/ grew up collecting Marvel cards

I have a few prejudices myself, which are that I prefer the chance to speculate a bit and that I don't like being led by the hand from where A is supposed to connect to B and C... I appreciate the f**k out of anything that makes my thoughts cascade too. Engineer plotline was just so interesting to me.

Exactly.

Oh, anyone else notice what I assume is the deliberate resemblance to ye olde Greek and Roman statues? I loved that little detail and what it suggested...

Oy, see, you took it further than me.

Interesting thought, though.

*adds one more notion to the possibilities*

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maddox writes: "If spoiling a movie mattered, then people wouldn't own movies they've seen before. I will never list "spoiler alert" to placate you dipshits, so spare me your tearful pleas." That's true in a sense. I knew how Prometheus would end. They all end the same way. The mother ship blows up.

V

violaine

Neat interview with one of the writers, Damon Lindelof. My own thought tree and impressions of the movie ran right along the lines staked out in this interview. So, yay. He said some people would be creatively intrigued by unanswered questions and some would be pissed off. Hah.

Damon Lindelof I/V

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maddox outlined every problem I had with Prometheus.

Such as "Weyland tries to reverse his aging by asking the aliens for answers, even though cryogenic technology has safely maintained him"?

I don't think the cryogenic lifestyle would be a very active one. Whatever floats your boat. But at least it wouldn't be boring either. What a silly criticism. Of course cryogenics isn't the answer to old age, it merely delays the inevitable.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Neat interview with one of the writers, Damon Lindelof. My own thought tree and impressions of the movie ran right along the lines staked out in this interview. So, yay. He said some people would be creatively intrigued by unanswered questions and some would be pissed off. Hah.

Damon Lindelof I/V

Good interview, I'm glad I wasn't just grasping at David's significance and those themes were actually deliberate. If anything, this seems like a lot of the shoddiness wasn't Damon's fault, but more Ole Man Ridley going for a 2001 style piece and if you disagree then GET OFF MY LAWN.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some are more likely than others, and, as they were landing in front of the alien structure, I figured I had the whole thing figured out, but, by the end of it, I largely felt left wondering what the hell the truth is, and, at least for me, that's not a position I feel particularly uncomfortable to be in. In fact, as you express (regarding yourself) below, I kinda like it. I think it's actually a place where Ni doms probably feel more comfortable, cuz I think this is how we look at the world already: mysterious, so many possibilities, never exactly sure what the truth is. Ti doms, I feel, need their explanation (enneagram 5s, in particular, but there is no stronger correlation between the MBTI and the enneagram than Ti doms and e5s) of things, they need to destroy the mystery, they need to have clarity, and I think being in the situation this movie leaves you in, of not knowing, of having so many unanswered questions, is probably not enjoyable to them at all (and, for the millionth time, people: I'm speaking of tendencies, tendencies).

Strange, unanswered questions don't piss me off. For example, the ending to Lost, which Lindelof also had a hand in.