User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Yes, and it was clumsy, hokey, and corny.
    No, you.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    And Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars out of 4. It must've been filmed in Chicago.
    Roger! No!!!!!

Also, what exactly was the point in having Charlize Theron in the movie? (Or her character for that matter?)
    I agree. She was wasted... which was too bad, because she played what little part she had very well, I wanted to find out more about her.

But anyway, Prometheus was easily Ridley Scott's worst movie since Gladiator.
    Yeah, whatever. I enjoyed Gladiator much better, but I already know you have other sensibilities than me.

But it could be worse. It could be Alien Resurrection.
    Never found the courage to watch that dog yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Since when is Gladiator regarded as bad?
    lol. Yup, here we go!
    I actually think Gladiator was a decent movie as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

I think uber is the only person I've ever encountered that slammed Gladiator.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    They didn't find their feet w this one but I still liked it. I would love to see a different, expanded cut. I am rather taken with the Engineer storyline (and all of the things I hope the next movie(s) might reveal).
    Since Scott basically got what he wanted with this movie, I'm not sure what an expanded cut would show that wasn't already here. The Engineer storyline was an interesting choice which didn't really go anywhere as written; but honestly, as far as the ending... what do you think's going to happen when an android with his head in a duffel bag and a human woman half the size of these guys lands on their home planet? The entire crew of this ship couldn't even deal with one of these things.

I think it's ridiculous to imagine, in the way it was written; maybe if it had been written better, it would be worth seeing and believable. There was a lot of the movie that was that way for me -- things were just kind of slapped together and didn't follow in justifiable or sensible way, emotionally and sometimes logistically.

Top Ten List of Things David Mistakenly Said in a Foreign Tongue to the Engineer, That Led to... Well, You KNow...

10. "My hovercraft is full of eels."
    9. "Excuse me, but you have beautiful buttocks."
    8. "Your momma wears level-3-blaster-resistant combat boots."
    7. "Can I stick my thrusting octopus into your adolescent xenomorph?"
    6. "Excuse me, but you are standing on my toe."
    5. "I'm sorry that I forgot your birthday... again."
    4. "Your little girl would have died of old age 2000 years ago or more. Get over it, Ripley did...err... will."
    3. "Get out of my way, paste-breath; damn, but you REALLY need to get out in the sun more."
    2. " And here's my little secret: *I* killed Mufasa!"
    1. "I have a crick in my neck, and I was wondering if you could fix it."

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I think uber is the only person I've ever encountered that slammed Gladiator.
    I think so.

It had a few small flaws, but overall was pretty decent.

Maybe he got it confused with that perennial classic, House 2.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It had a few small flaws, but overall was pretty decent.
    Hard to find a film without 'em.

MBTI
    PING

I enjoyed watching it. I don't think its the best sci-fi I've ever seen. Nor do I think it had the most interesting plot. It felt like they have dragged the plot line out to make more than one film, which left the first one a little lacking.

Charleze Theron's character was an interesting example of sp instinctual stacking to the extreme. If you havn't seen the movie don't read on...

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Since Scott basically got what he wanted with this movie, I'm not sure what an expanded cut would show that wasn't already here. The Engineer storyline was an interesting choice which didn't really go anywhere as written; but honestly, as far as the ending... what do you think's going to happen when an android with his head in a duffel bag and a human woman half the size of these guys lands on their home planet? The entire crew of this ship couldn't even deal with one of these things.

I think it's ridiculous to imagine, in the way it was written; maybe if it had been written better, it would be worth seeing and believable. There was a lot of the movie that was that way for me -- things were just kind of slapped together and didn't follow in justifiable or sensible way, emotionally and sometimes logistically.
    Director's cuts. I like 'em. Though yeah, he has said there likely won't be one. I'm an editor as well, so I know how much different lengths of scenes and including/deleting scenes affects/restores flow. I know I watch movies in a different way to people who don't edit. I'm paying attention and fascinated in a different way and that can win me over. It's not purely escapism for me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Director's cuts. I like 'em. Though yeah, he has said there likely won't be one. I'm an editor as well, so I know how much different lengths of scenes and including/deleting scenes affects/restores flow. I know I watch movies in a different way to people who don't edit. I'm paying attention and fascinated in a different way and that can win me over. It's not purely escapism for me.
    I like director's cuts, and yes, I think editing a movie impacts it a great deal. I'm a musician and an editor of text and am pretty aware of all the big-picture aspects of the conveyance of art and development of ambiance, and I also typically watch theatrical/director's cuts and compare. (Just watched the Grudge this past week, to do a compare on that movie.)

(Most infamous example of how cutting can change a pic -- the "love conquers all" version of brazil versus the theatrical cut vs what Gilliam wanted to release)

I do think the emotional arc / timing was off in the Prometheus theatrical cut, there were scenes that just seemed disjointed / missing something, they didn't build or transition properly, so the entire movie felt kind of flat to me. I'd like to see if there was anything cut, I'm just not aware based on what Ridley Scott said that there will be that much to cut back into it. Usually the cuts result in more change when the director is being forced to release a picture he didn't plan to release.

MBTI
    INTJ

I didn't get why all the human characters were all so instantly aggressive with one another. That is, it was a theme, of course, humans were aggressive, the Engineers were aggressive, eventually in other movies the Aliens will be aggressive, etc. And as with Alien, crews of space ships are more like long distance truckers than scientists, but in this one they were all coked up and immediately pushy. Why?

Presumably because it's in our dna.

I watched a blurry cam copy. So I had to focus on how weak the story was and how there were too many structural references back to earlier movies. I'd watch it again though to see if all the 3d stuff and the visuals actually do look good.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeCait View Post
    I enjoyed watching it. I don't think its the best sci-fi I've ever seen. Nor do I think it had the most interesting plot. It felt like they have dragged the plot line out to make more than one film, which left the first one a little lacking.

Charleze Theron's character was an interesting example of sp instinctual stacking to the extreme. If you havn't seen the movie don't read on...

The spoiler you mention about Charlize Theron's character was one of my biggest problems.

I'll say one thing about Prometheus though, now that I think about it more, the surgery sequence was pretty cool. Both the drive-thru surgery idea and everything after that. I want that machine.

And on a semi-related note, I had forgotten that Joss Whedon wrote Alien Resurrection. I guess some good came out of that movie, though -- Firefly.