User Tag List

First 2028293031 Last

Thread: Prometheus

mediocre story, i agree. saw it twice. didn't pull me in, least near the end, when it should have been at the peak of tension.

best scene ... i don't even know....

i'm afraid the trailer that introduces the android/fassbender fascinated me more, than a scene from the actual movie.

worst scene: the bad guy, the old man, with his really bad make up - any scene with him.
    (why??? are there no old actors???? - if they die on set, replace them. take a risk, man.)

i like it, nevertheless. i'm still a sucker for science fiction with good aesthetical production.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    worst scene: the bad guy, the old man, with his really bad make up - any scene with him.
    (why??? are there no old actors???? - if they die on set, replace them. take a risk, man.)
    FWIW, I think that was a change in the story.

They cast Guy Pierce because they originally expected to have Wayland appear as a younger man in the movie. Then basically things changed and there ended up being no scenes of Wayland as a young guy, but they ended up doing the old man's makeup with Pierce since he was already cast in the part. I think this contributed to the manufactured TED Talk that you can find on the 'net (I think it's out there) plus on the disc extras. TBH, I think Pierce's TED Talk is better than many scenes that actually made it into the movie.

Aging makeup looks bad if overdone, and I felt this way here -- it was too much and didn't look as real, even if I felt Pierce did a great job playing the role.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    i'm afraid the trailer that introduces the android/fassbender fascinated me more, than a scene from the actual movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think this contributed to the manufactured TED Talk that you can find on the 'net (I think it's out there) plus on the disc extras. TBH, I think Pierce's TED Talk is better than many scenes that actually made it into the movie.
    This is the most frustrating thing about this movie, to me. The marketing is more intriguing than the actual movie. It had (and has!) such a cool mystique around it with some really good multimedia tie-ins and viral marketing stuff. I wanted it to be so good. And atmospherically I did like it. It's just that none of the story scaffolding was strong enough to give the atmosphere or the buzz surrounding it any legs.

thanx, jennifer, makes sense then, to have a young weyland, i guess. i just enjoyed this Mind-Blowing Analysis of the Film's Symbolism by Eugene Baldovino ... it's such a rich movie, when looked at in such a manner, too bad all of that escaped me and what stuck with me were the many psychological oddities, that were already mentioned.

Finally saw this. I think I'm too much of an optimist for Ridley Scott. As entertaining as his movies are, I'm tired of sci fi philosophy like his.. he's scared of the future. "Progress" is a Pandora's Box lurking in the shadows to fuck you in the ass.

I'll take Star Trek instead. Or even Avatar, which is at least slightly optimistic. I have no shame about it.

I just checked IMDB for the sequel and holy shit I think Ridley Scott wants to live forever. He's 75 and currently listed as producer on more than a dozen upcoming projects. I realize that some of those projects might require minimal input from him, but he's still listed as executive producer of 4 of them.

This was my first Alien film as I'm not into the more horror side of sci-fi. It didn't live up to my expectations based on the marketing, but I almost always enjoy origin stories for some reason. Thus, I generally liked this one despite it's faults and my need to do extra research after watching the film to put the pieces together.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I just checked IMDB for the sequel and holy shit I think Ridley Scott wants to live forever. He's 75 and currently listed as producer on more than a dozen upcoming projects. I realize that some of those projects might require minimal input from him, but he's still listed as executive producer of 4 of them.

This was my first Alien film as I'm not into the more horror side of sci-fi. It didn't live up to my expectations based on the marketing, but I almost always enjoy origin stories for some reason. Thus, I generally liked this one despite it's faults and my need to do extra research after watching the film to put the pieces together.
    Beef, if I hadn't seen your post on iSpy, I wouldn't have Googled one of my fav directors— Tony Scott. (I loved his artistic style.) I had no idea he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, last August. He had an inoperable brain tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Beef, if I hadn't seen your post on iSpy, I wouldn't have Googled one of my fav directors— Tony Scott. (I loved his artistic style.) I had no idea he committed suicide by jumping off a bridge, last August. He had an inoperable brain tumor.
    I remember reading about that this summer (unless I'm thinking of someone else from Hollywood who jumped off a bridge.) At the time I didn't realize who he was and what he had worked on. Really a sad loss. However, some brief research indicates that the initial reports of brain cancer were false and that he was relatively healthy when he died according to the coroner. He was on a SSRI and I bet that had to do with it.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is that what the last prognosis was? I had heard it expressed as a possibility for his suicide, but hadn't known it was confirmed.

Yeah, it was all over the news for a week when he died, especially due to his relation to Ridley.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Is that what the last prognosis was? I had heard it expressed as a possibility for his suicide, but hadn't known it was confirmed.

Yeah, it was all over the news for a week when he died, especially due to his relation to Ridley.
    It looks like the final report listed Lunesta and Mirtazapine in his system, but no mention of a brain tumor. (Apparently, the initial reports of cancer were conflicting.) I must have been "out to lunch" to have missed the news of his suicide.