Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    Speaking of sci-fi movies I just saw a trailer for 'Looper' which looks excellent! Bruce Willis + time travel is usually a good combination.
    Oh yes, saw the early trailers, I thought it looked really interesting. Word on the street is that it is excellent, but I'm not sure if that is real feedback or just spin. Anyway, I have my eye on it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

LOL, Prometheus. I remember that marketing campaign. I think there was a movie too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Finally, some of the missing footage is being released -- there's supposed to be a good 25-30 minutes of scenes that were cut from the movie.

here's one of them. Well, look at that -- suddenly the scene with the Engineer clubbing Wayland to death makes sense, now that we see the footage of what Wayland says to him. We also get a clearer understanding of Wayland's logic and why he thinks he deserves what he is asking for... which then the alien directly answers, and perfectly, by his response.

Depending on the rest of the released footage, we could potentially be looking at yet another instance of "Death by Studio Committee" for a motion picture. I've heard the Extended/Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is pretty decent too, btw, in comparison to the theatrical release.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Here's part of the opening scene:

Plus a link to a list of all deleted scenes, with links to where they were referenced (in interviews, etc.)

http://www.prometheusnews.net/movie/...ernate-scenes/

Also, here looks to be 14 minutes of the deleted footage, compiled into one video -- it's the second video down (right under the youtube one):
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31...om-prometheus/

I'm having trouble recalling what was in the original theatrical release, but one of the clips here has material right before the clip I posted above (where Wayland talks to the engineer), and it has Shaw trying to cut Wayland off and ask all the important questions -- why did they come? Why do they hate us? Why are they now out to get us? And Wayland cuts her off and demands immortality instead, claiming he deserves it.... If that didn't appear in the movie, it's a shame. It's a good scene, and it leaves you wondering if Wayland hadn't been there, if Shaw would have gotten some actual answers.

MBTI
    ISTx

Will there be an extended edition of the film released on video?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Will there be an extended edition of the film released on video?
    It's not clear.

This release, it looks like they just put a bunch of the deleted clips on as supplements. In the past Scott has given contradictory answers as far as an "official" extended/director's cut, where they incorporate all the footage right into the movie.

MBTI
    ISTx

I hope they do. I still haven't seen this movie, and I'd like for there to be more content that provides better context when I do see it.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

it was good, but i hate it when movies end like that. they should had showed what happens with what they started at the end
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was planning to watch the entire movie again tonight but got wayland, err, waylaid, so I'll finish it tomorrow:

One reason I got slowed down is because the movie can sync up with your smartphone, especially easily if you've got a home wifi. So playing the movie on my PS3, with my phone running off my home network, every 1-4 minutes the movie was triggering something to play on my cell. (The movie would automatically pause while the video on my cell would kick off; and once the video finished, the phone would stop and the movie would continue.) It's kind of cool, actually.

The other reason is that I watched the 36 minutes of alternate/deleted footage.

My opinion is that Prometheus was damaged (maybe not fatally, but badly) through overzealous editing. I can't say the material was "crucial" in the sense that not having both of your lungs removed is crucial to your survival, but basically it really disrupted the thought process and foreshadowing of the film which made some of it difficult to follow and also made some of the character behavior seem non-sensible. My opinion is that about 75% of the material, reinserted back into the movie, would have made it a much better experience. I suppose length is a problem for some, but nowadays we've had blockbusters that are still yet longer than the 2:25 the movie might have been, so... if it makes the movie more enjoyable?

Some comments here:

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

But did you find out why Meredith Vickers can only run in a straight line?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”