First 172526272829 Last

Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, Prometheus was so good that we're talking in its thread about a non-scifi movie made 50 years before it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
    I'm a massive Alien fan and I thought Prometheus was shit. For various reasons:
    A lack of likeable characters, the most relatable being Fassbender and he was playing an emotionless robot, which says something.
    Not saying Noomi Rapace is a bad actress, but she was crap. It's probably tough delivering lines in a foreign language though.
    Lack of plot consistency. One minute the mercenary biologist dude is freaking out about seeing an ancient hologram of someone dying in the alien relic, 100's of years ago for all he knows, and running back to the ship, the next minute he's had a random change of heart and decided to stay there and wander round poking things.
    The film lost me really early and never regained my confidence. Terrible script, poor story structure. I don't really care about the cinematography or themes, if you can't get the dialogue and plot right you won't engage me. I just sat the whole way through thinking "I could do this better". And the whole point of paying for a movie is to see something you couldn't come up with yourself.
    This is actually pretty fair criticism, imo.

I disagree about Noomi Rapace being shit (I thought she was great in the c-section scene), but I agree that some of the dialogue was trash, and that there were some ridiculous inconsistencies, especially around the obnoxious geologist/map guy and the biologist guy. I take that a bit as just being horror convention, but, honestly, it pissed me off enough that I was thinking, "Did they really think it was the right move to go here? Was this really necessary? Didn't they realize the movie would be better if this were adjusted just a bit?" As you suggested, when he approached the snake/worm xenomorph thing like it was a cute little kitten, I couldn't damp down my internal grumbling.

That being said, I just disagree about the cinematography, and, more importantly, the themes. All of these are different elements of the storytelling, and these particular elements were strong. Those other elements were not. It could've been better, but there was some really interesting stuff about it too.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram

Fair nuff, I guess we just find different stuff important. Yeah Noomi was quite good in the c-section scene, but then her acting was pretty much just being overly hysterical. Not much nuance.
    I just felt the whole movie was a bit flat. Maybe from an objective standpoint I can appreciate some of its qualities, but as a simple movie-goer I wasn't sucked in. I didn't care about the characters or where the story was going.
    But then we're all engaged by different films. I love Event Horizon which is by most accounts B-movie trash.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I love Event Horizon which is by most accounts B-movie trash.
    Totally agree -- on the second part. Watched it once, and even laughing hysterically at how bad it was I barely made it through...

I generally agree with you and Zara's comments about Prom.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Fair nuff, I guess we just find different stuff important. Yeah Noomi was quite good in the c-section scene, but then her acting was pretty much just being overly hysterical. Not much nuance.
    Ok, I won't lie.

I'm incredibly attracted to Noomi Rapace, and, throughout that whole scene, I kept thinking to myself, "Why is this scene making me want to fuck her even more? Is there something wrong with me??" *instinctual mind kicks back in* "Whatever, she's hot."

I just felt the whole movie was a bit flat. Maybe from an objective standpoint I can appreciate some of its qualities, but as a simple movie-goer I wasn't sucked in. I didn't care about the characters or where the story was going.
    Tbh, this is where I actually agree with you.

I just found it unfortunate, cuz I thought the themes explored and the cinematography were awesome.

If it had hit on that cylinder, I think it could've been worth a 9/10, but, because it didn't, I think about a 7 is fair.

But then we're all engaged by different films. I love Event Horizon which is by most accounts B-movie trash.
    lol...

Is this the second time I'm going to say "Liberate tutemae ex inferis..." in this thread?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram

Event Horizon is the shit!! If it had been made in the 40's I swear it would be on Afi's 100 greatest movies or something (maybe...). Lawrence Fishburne + Spaceship + Portal to Hell = film perfection.

Yeah Noomi's not bad. I've not seen her in anything where she's not hugely mentally damaged though. Bit of a turn off.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Event Horizon is the shit!!
    Wait, I think that word "the" is a typo?

If it had been made in the 40's I swear it would be on Afi's 100 greatest movies or something (maybe...). Lawrence Fishburne + Spaceship + Portal to Hell = film perfection.
    Okay. I admit it -- it could give Plan 9 a run for the big money!

Yeah Noomi's not bad. I've not seen her in anything where she's not hugely mentally damaged though. Bit of a turn off.
    I like Noomi. I didn't think she was bad here; I just felt she had nothing to work with. They had some real top-notch actors and just didn't have the script for them to do something. Fassbender was stellar anyway, but it felt rather wasted; he deserved much better for that performance.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I love Event Horizon which is by most accounts B-movie trash.
    Oh, it's a trash film (no doubt) but I love it, anyway.
    Larry Fishburne, Jason Isaacs and Sam Neill hamming it up? Genuinely horrifying visuals?

Cinematic perfection for the subgenre.

And it is the only watchable Paul W.S. Anderson movie (Mortal Kombat, notwithstanding).

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, Prometheus was so good that we're talking in its thread about a non-scifi movie made 50 years before it.
    Smarty pants.

Lawrence of Arabia was featured in Prometheus.
    In fact, Fassbender imitated Peter O'Toole for his David character.

Now that I think of it, the snippets of that picture in IMAX 3D were probably the highlight.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Smarty pants.

Lawrence of Arabia was featured in Prometheus.
    In fact, Fassbender imitated Peter O'Toole for his David character.

Now that I think of it, the snippets of that picture in IMAX 3D were probably the highlight.
    Hmmm. You're right. I actually forgot that, but I'm glad you tied it together for me.
    And I was going to make the same quip, but you beat me to the punch.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Fassbender was stellar anyway, but it felt rather wasted; he deserved much better for that performance.
    Yeah, imo Fassbender was one of the few people who worked on that film who could go away with any credit. Maybe the SFX guys as well. Everyone else had a bit of an off day.

Speaking of sci-fi movies I just saw a trailer for 'Looper' which looks excellent! Bruce Willis + time travel is usually a good combination.