Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Do you remember this from the beginning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettifoss
    The human race began in Africa.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The human race began in Africa.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGKAx41-Ns

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    That was a cool song! It kind of reminds me of this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foxD6ZQlnlU
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Okay, I finally saw the freaking movie, well over a month later. Hopefully I won't take so long for Batman in a few weeks.

PROS

1) Gorgeous art direction. Truly worthy of the first two Alien movies. Even though one says early on that straight lines aren't made by God, nearly everything was curved and organic. The 3D star map was wonderous.

2) Most of the acting: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron were all great.

3) Fairly well-made, better than 90% of the Hollywood movies you'll see this summer. Which makes the film good, but not great.

4) David.

CONS

1) Tries to be both a cerebral sci-fi movie and a horror sci-fi movie and fails at both. Not once was I actually scared (in comparison, the original Alien can still raise my blood pressure despite the fact I've seen it more than a dozen times). The "chariots of the gods" stuff is old hat at this point. I'd rather explore David's psyche.

2) Hands-down, the stupidest science team I've ever seen. I could forgive "the believer" disregarding common sense first contact protocol, but she's actually the most sensible person (besides Theron's character).

3) Everyone not named in the PROS section was a waste. Esp. the infected scientist lover. Like someone stated earlier, not sure what Rapace's character saw in him at all.

4) Too similar to Alien:

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    I'm glad they didn't pace it like Alien because that would have been too much similarity for me - I like newness and experimentation, even if it doesn't quite get there.
    It wasn't nearly as masterfully paced as Alien by far, but way too many similar moments to generate actual suspense.

What, something is growing inside you? I wonder if that's good? SEEN THIS BEFORE

The android has ulterior motives? No way! SEEN THAT BEFORE

Going to the "lifeboat"? I bet that's a safe refuge from monsters. SEEN THAT TOO

Ultimately, that's where the film breaks down. It's set up to ask all these important questions and then turns into a monster movie patterned on the original Alien. Nowhere near as bad from one half to the other as Event Horizon, but you can't really have both. Still, I don't dismiss the movie, the film is clearly not meant to be self-contained, there has to be a sequel to it. The motivations of the Engineers, both in creating human life and then deciding to destroy it have not been answered. I will also hope David is explained as well: was he acting on his own in infecting the crew or just under the orders of Weyland?

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I find it interesting that a lot of people seemed to have trouble with the opening scene...it seems rather straightforward: the Engineer ingested a substance and seeded a world with the genetic material that eventually evolves in to humans.
    Yeah, I didn't have any trouble. The DNA dissolves, then recombines, then you see cells dividing under the title card of the movie.

I was surprised at the references to other Alien movies besides the first:

"It’s what I choose to believe." = Alien³

"David, we are leaving!" = Aliens

I thought Ridley Scott's ego wouldn't allow it. Maybe Lindelof snuck it past Scott.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

God, Event Horizon was a real dog.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I loved the first half as much as I hated the second half.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    "Liberate tutemae ex Inferis..."

*shows eyeballs*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I agree, it started better than it ended.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

(Example on par: An alien spacecraft collides with another spaceship in the atmosphere. One ship explodes, the other crashes and rolls. It's likely that the g-force and impacts alone would render any mortal being unconscious for at least a short period of time. It's also plausible that the infrastucture of the alien ship should be damaged and devastated from such a crash. Not only is the ship not apparently broken, but the alien commander somehow stays awake, immediately unbuckles himself, somehow quickly gets out of his ship, and then manages to know exactly what piece of flotsam to go to in order to track down the only human that happens to still be alive on the moon's surface, in record time!)
    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Well this sort of leap and @Jennifer's autistic-level-nitpick-to-the-extreme complaint about g forces don't bother me too much. I'm imaginative enough to assume a creator-level intelligence can devise a suspended animation apparatus or successfully design something to mitigate acceleration changes in their spaceships. It's never a particular detail for me that drives me nuts so much as it's a break in common sense or nonsensical action/reaction situations.
    You know what bothered me about this sequence? Absolutely none of that, it was David's warning. How does a detached head know what is going on to that degree?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

I liked how every stupid thing that humans ever do in a horror movie to screw things up was avoided in this one.
    That was a funny aspect of the movie I don't think people are giving it credit for.

It felt very pragmatic, with real characters.

If anything it was way too short - there were a lot of issues to explore and characters to develop.
    30 more minutes would have been great.

I hope they cut less material the next movie.

I also liked the main idea of the evil gods who created us and have now decided to destroy humanity.

This movie is ahead of its time. After the second one there will be a billion clones being pitched to the studios.