User Tag List

First 122021222324 Last

Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I cannot see it at work. I'll assume it's one of those ion thrust things.. the tethered tin foil things that float. Still, ion thrust is soo miniscule, everything has to be ultra light and the power source has to be external. I'll check out the link later.
    Just tiny propellers that operate in tandem with one another.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I see where you are going with that, but how do you explain Inception then? despite some bitching by the anti-fad crowd, that was a "popcorn" movie that drew in many many people who don't consider themselves to be scifi/fantasy or spec fic fans, just average moviegoers... and people just wouldn't SHUT UP about the movie. I think it was more accessible because it was more about human ideas and less about the gadgets and tech, but then again, Prometheus looked techier but really wasn't about gadgets or tech either.
    It's probably not a coincidence that Nolan is about the same age that Scott was when he created Blade Runner, Alien, etc.

Although I would say that it's the religious element, more than the sci-fi element, that would cause a problem if Prometheus dug too deeply. If Prometheus took a wrong turn they would have half of the US boycotting the movie.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Although I would say that it's the religious element, more than the sci-fi element, that would cause a problem if Prometheus dug too deeply. If Prometheus took a wrong turn they would have half of the US boycotting the movie.
    Well, that's a good point. I mean, I'm already sure some Christian groups probably are not happy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Well, that's a good point. I mean, I'm already sure some Christian groups probably are not happy.
    I hear that there's an extra scene at the very beginning of the movie where the Engineer comes out of a "T" shaped cryo-stasis chamber before sacrificing himself. It'll probably be on the Blu-ray, along with all the scenes where they explored the religious repercussions of the movie's concept.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I hear that there's an extra scene at the very beginning of the movie where the Engineer comes out of a "T" shaped cryo-stasis chamber before sacrificing himself. It'll probably be on the Blu-ray, along with all the scenes where they explored the religious repercussions of the movie's concept.
    I'm actually interested in seeing that, especially based on @violaine 's comments earlier in the thread. I mean, I just really want to know what got clipped. I suspect he came out when no one else was awake and snuck out of the ship.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

There are two Engineers in this sequence, an older one standing behind. The robes they wear make the whole thing seem entirely religious. Perhaps it was too much of a giveaway.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ

I feel like Christians feel so under siege about the modern world and the future that a sci-fi film that merely proposes an alien origin for Jesus would barely cause a ripple.

There is also an argument to be made that simply talking about a historical Jesus (even as an alien) reinforces the conceptual reality of Christianity. In other words, Prometheus is a reactionary vehicle for Christian precepts.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    I feel like Christians feel so under siege about the modern world and the future that a sci-fi film that merely proposes an alien origin for Jesus would barely cause a ripple.
    I guess it depends in which circles you run in.

There is also an argument to be made that simply talking about a historical Jesus (even as an alien) reinforces the conceptual reality of Christianity. In other words, Prometheus is a reactionary vehicle for Christian precepts.
    Kind of reminds me of The Matrix, in that sense, although the Christian overtones were more direct.

MBTI
    INFJ

I guess it depends in which circles you run in.
    Fear of the world actually strengthens Christianity. They thrive on the belief of a fallen world. I seem to meet Christians who regard sci-fi as pure fantasy, and as such, not a threat.

Kind of reminds me of The Matrix, in that sense, although the Christian overtones were more direct.
    You could parse Prometheus as having a Gnostic dimension, much like The Matrix, although The Matrix focused on the concept of the human as a piece of the divine trapped in a false "reality". In Prometheus, you could interpret based on the Gnostic parallel of imperfect creator beings who are ambivalent about their children.

MBTI
    INFJ

Do you remember this from the beginning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dettifoss