Thread: Prometheus

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Strange, unanswered questions don't piss me off. For example, the ending to Lost, which Lindelof also had a hand in.
    Lost was a time sink anyway. I watched the first two episodes with eager anticipation and quickly realized that this was a story without ending, like a soap, and that they were just going to keep feeding the audience crap to maintain its interest like a carrot before a horse.

I don't see the comparison with Prometheus. That movie is simply begging for a sequel containing the answers. This was made explicit at the end. It's just frustrating having to wait, like ketchup pouring slowly from a bottle.

There have been movies that left unanswered questions for a reason and on purpose, such as a grade B sci-fi flick that ends with a big ? question mark.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

figsfiggyfigs

Strange, unanswered questions don't piss me off. For example, the ending to Lost, which Lindelof also had a hand in.
    I felt the same way, bro.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Lost was a time sink anyway. I watched the first two episodes with eager anticipation and quickly realized that this was a story without ending, like a soap, and that they were just going to keep feeding the audience crap to maintain its interest like a carrot before a horse.
    It's a TV show, that had over 120 episodes, of course it's a time suck.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I felt the same way, bro.
    *fist bump*

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Well, you're an enneagram 9, aren't you?

Frankly, it probably has more to do with being an enneagram 5.

But, even then, as I said in my post, I'm talking about tendencies.

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Well, you're an enneagram 9, aren't you?

Frankly, it probably has more to do with being an enneagram 5.

But, even then, as I said in my post, I'm talking about tendencies.
    Wow wow wow. Step off bro, don't bring enneagrams into this

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

^Inferior Fi
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

It's a TV show, that had over 120 episodes, of course it's a time suck.
    Sink! Sink! Not suck.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I thought this film good, but not great. There were a handful of moments I really liked. Unfortunately, the movie also had a tendency to sporadically disappoint, introduce shoddy (or really cliche) character and plot moments (example: the main character complaining about her infertility came out of nowhere, really kind of added nothing substantial, and kind of felt like something she maybe wouldn't be so concerned about right then considering all the crazy shit that was going on already at that point. And, for supposedly very intelligent characters, they do a few incredibly stupid things basically in service of plot and scares), and had issues paying off themes. I was also lightly agitated by aspects of the science, in particular how our evolutionary process and the apparently total DNA match worked in relation to both those aliens and the other creatures we're clearly related to on Earth, but that's something I could get over.

But, as I say, when it worked I felt like it worked very well. Fassbender, Theron and Elba were stand-outs in terms of performance as well.

I'd probably rank it around 7.5/10, maybe 8/10. Not as solid as Alien, which remains my favorite Ridley Scott film.

Also, why the hell did they hire Guy Pearce in old man make-up as Weyland? I didn't recognize it as Pearce when watching, but I was pretty confident it was someone in make-up. Weren't they aware that elderly people already have old makeup on? Makeup called their skin?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Some things are just a matter of taste and/or getting it in a different way. Not figuring out the first scene is definitely going to make it hard to be in the mindset of someone who saw that, got it and was charmed right away. There are movies I obviously don't get - Avengers - ninety something percent on rotten tomatoes, wtf?
    After talking with @Zarathustra about the film last night, I'm in the process of reevaluating my initial, negative gut reaction to the film. I think the point you've made right here is crucial, Violaine. That initial scene is either the viewers entree into the far-reaching questions that have made the film riveting to some, or a pretty opener to a fairly whelming sci-fi/action joint.

Another thing that came up last night was the merit of assessing a film like this on plot alone. While you can argue that plot is a secondary consideration in light of the bigger questions, it shouldn't be marginalized to the point that the viewer ends up feeling that the story is merely a stand-in. It's kind of like that notion that if jazz is all about the notes the musicians aren't playing, you might as well stay at home. Part of my initial reaction to the film was this underlying intuition that after the first 30 minutes of the film, any number of things could have happened in the middle hour that got you to the last ten. That's a major flaw to me. While it could be the old Te urge for structure, I feel a stronger film would have had a clearer line from its most abstract concepts, down to the line by line minutiae. I think a director like Kubrick could have accomplished this, but of course, genius is genius for a reason.

Anyways, while I can appreciate that Ridley Scott may be playing the long game here, more could have been done to make the film something other than mediocre, high-concept, franchise fodder.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti