User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Thread: Prometheus

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Which chick survived in the end? Noomi? Anyway, I thought it was pretty strange that she wants to visit a whole planet full of the same aliens who just savagely killed off some of the entire crew of the Prometheus. Pretty suicidal, actually.
    Maybe she'll be lucky and the next Engineer she meets won't be Engineer the Homicidal Maniac and just go HULK SMASH at the slightest provocation. Perhaps the ships were basically interstellar versions of Australia; a penal colony filled with Engineer psychos that are tossed to offending life form planets as punishment. I trust they'll be able to cook up an unsatisfactory explanation that seems as though it was penned by a 13 year old, if only to keep the feel of both films consistent.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Maybe she'll be lucky and the next Engineer she meets won't be Engineer the Homicidal Maniac and just go HULK SMASH at the slightest provocation. Perhaps the ships were basically interstellar versions of Australia; a penal colony filled with Engineer psychos that are tossed to offending life form planets as punishment. I trust they'll be able to cook up an unsatisfactory explanation that seems as though it was penned by a 13 year old, if only to keep the feel of both films consistent.
    Ridley is good at insulting our intelligence. Is it true that the Engineer who survived had been in suspended animation for 1000 years? Or am I missing something?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Ridley is good at insulting our intelligence. Is it true that the Engineer who survived had been in suspended animation for 1000 years? Or am I missing something?
    2000 years.

(Probably.)

Please don't go start calling this a plot hole.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Which chick survived in the end? Noomi? Anyway, I thought it was pretty strange that she wants to visit a whole planet full of the same aliens who just savagely killed off some of the entire crew of the Prometheus. Pretty suicidal, actually.
    No, no, she has faith and is wearing a cross, so some divine miracle + the spirit of her dead father will save her.

@JocktheMotie: i agree with your comments about david, i think he was the highlight characterwise of the movie.

@Zarathustra: I'm sorry but i can't enjoy the movie unless it makes sense. I honestly can't. If it's bullshit, them it's bullshit. It surprises me how many of you Ni'ers can play let's pretend, because it's beyond me. I know I'm pretending, and it would just be a lie. I also cannot equate possibility with probabilty. What you suggest is possible but not probable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Well this sort of leap and @Jennifer's autistic-level-nitpick-to-the-extreme complaint about g forces don't bother me too much. I'm imaginative enough to assume a creator-level intelligence can devise a suspended animation apparatus or successfully design something to mitigate acceleration changes in their spaceships. It's never a particular detail for me that drives me nuts so much as it's a break in common sense or nonsensical action/reaction situations.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Two millennia, which leads to this:

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/rid...interview/8232

Movies.com: You throw religion and spirituality into the equation for Prometheus, though, and it almost acts as a hand grenade. We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

RS: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, “Lets’ send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it. Guess what? They crucified him.
    By all accounts, Christ was not a 12 ft. albino.
    Plot hole. I'm calling it right now.

Hahaha!!!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    2000 years.

(Probably.)

Please don't go start calling this a plot hole.
    I'm not the plot hole guy. I just want to know how they maintain musculature over long periods of cryogenic sleep.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Two millennia, which leads to this:

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/rid...interview/8232

By all accounts, Christ was not a 12 ft. albino.
    Plot hole. I'm calling it right now.

Hahaha!!!
    Virgin birth explained. Or did Noomi have sex with a squid?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    No, no, she has faith and is wearing a cross, so some divine miracle + the spirit of her dead father will save her.
    I suppose we have just given up on using spoiler tags by now, but I'll still try...

I dunno. That's just one of many questions I've been thinking about since seeing the film, and its lack of resolution doesn't so much annoy me, as make me interested in what directions the mythology could possibly be taken.

Edit: And it looks like someone brought up the 2,000-yr thing as I was typing that last post. Anyway, if you ask me, it sounds like the hypothetical discussed in that interview isn't actually what they're going for. Frankly, based on the stuff in the movie, it looks to be pointing a lot more in the opposite direction. Then again, that's the kind of question that would be resolved, at least to some degree, in a future movie (in which, hopefully, Noomi will run around again in very little clothing [and sans recently having removed a squidbaby, preferably]).

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's pretty clear that she didn't expect to survive, all she cared about was an answer to why her makers created her and then wanted to kill her; a question that would likely not be answered, but wouldn't you do the same thing?