• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Prometheus

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I never saw Hugo 3d. I didn't know it mattered :/

I read the book way before it was a movie though!

I think the reason we aren't talking about Prometheus is because it's worse the more you analyze it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't have minded the last quarter of the movie if it had been, you know, scary...

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ultimately, that's where the film breaks down. It's set up to ask all these important questions and then turns into a monster movie patterned on the original Alien.

the film is clearly not meant to be self-contained, there has to be a sequel to it.

The motivations of the Engineers, both in creating human life and then deciding to destroy it have not been answered.

MacGuffin has concisely laid out all my problems with the film. Since they were clearly just making a two-hour trailer for the next movie, I would have appreciated the heads up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't have minded the last quarter of the movie if it had been, you know, scary...

Yup. It was just, uh, like Alien. Even the ripoff of Ripley's last words from Alien -- I didn't perceive it as a homage, it just came off as cheesy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BluRay details released:

http://collider.com/prometheus-blu-ray-deleted-scenes/177495/?_r=true

First off, here’s a rundown of the highlights on the disc:

•15 Minutes of Deleted or Alternate Scenes
•Ridley Scott Audio Commentary
•First and Final Draft of the Script in Text Document
•Four Viral Videos Including Peter Weyland’s Full Ted Talk
•Ridley Scott’s Sketches
•Noomi Rapace’s Screen Tests
•9 Featurettes Comprising 120 Minutes of Behind-the-Scenes Looks at the Creatures, Story, Visual Effects, and More

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MacGuffin has concisely laid out all my problems with the film. Since they were clearly just making a two-hour trailer for the next movie, I would have appreciated the heads up.

So what, I said the same thing pages back.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah...

Speaking of which: Has anybody heard about the sequel release in the fall?
Rumor has it Scott shot them back-to-back and kept it under wraps.

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah...

Speaking of which: Has anybody heard about the sequel release in the fall?
Rumor has it Scott shot them back-to-back and kept it under wraps.

oh? that seems rather soon but I would easily get suckered into it simply because I love seeing other planets imagined by others.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, it only makes sense. Ridley Scott is pushing 75 and has several movies in development. He did mention that he wished to make a series out of Prometheus. I don't know. We'll see.

Viral marketing appeared online a few days after the release of the last one, emphasizing a date in October.

And nobody has captured a genuine alien environment on film.
Not yet, not even close.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alas, Battleship. We hardly knew thee.

I thought it would have been amusing for Prometheus to not get picked up for a sequel, which would have left everything stranded. But it made too much money for that to occur.

Renewing Snow White is just stupid -- the best part of the first movie was Theron, and she's done. Stewart was actually among the worst parts; she has about as much charisma as Al Gore. (although her "stir up the natives" speech was worlds better than Sam Worthington's from Avatar).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Kinda like the Golden Compass, huh?
Though, I was hoping to see more Gandalf bear's maul amtics.

Totally forgot about that mess...

It's just as well. Things went downhill after The Subtle Knife anyway.

Nicodemus

It was much better than I feared. As a sci-fi horror movie, it is worth about six or seven out of ten points. Odd fact: I acquired the new 'Lawrence of Arabia' bluray just yesterday.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a massive Alien fan and I thought Prometheus was shit. For various reasons:
A lack of likeable characters, the most relatable being Fassbender and he was playing an emotionless robot, which says something.
Not saying Noomi Rapace is a bad actress, but she was crap. It's probably tough delivering lines in a foreign language though.
Lack of plot consistency. One minute the mercenary geologist dude is freaking out about seeing an ancient hologram of someone dying in the alien relic, 100's of years ago for all he knows, and running back to the ship, the next minute he's had a random change of heart and decided to stay there and wander round poking things.
The film lost me really early and never regained my confidence. Terrible script, poor story structure. I don't really care about the cinematography or themes, if you can't get the dialogue and plot right you won't engage me. I just sat the whole way through thinking "I could do this better". And the whole point of paying for a movie is to see something you couldn't come up with yourself.

Last edited:

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
It was much better than I feared. As a sci-fi horror movie, it is worth about six or seven out of ten points. Odd fact: I acquired the new 'Lawrence of Arabia' bluray just yesterday.

How's the HD quality of Arabia?
I've never seen the movie all the way through.