User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I personally prefer a regular book, I have a collection of them.

However, I think saying that E-books are damaging society is taking it a bit far. It's also a little bit annoying that people are like "OMG Luddite" whenever someone wants us to think about the effects of advancing technology. It really is a little scary to think that a book can be altered whenever you plug in the reader or whatever, but technology advances. You can't stop the advancement of technology, and it's stupid to try. (If you want to look to the Luddites go ahead, factories and machines still exist, they didn't stop much of anything.)

However, I'll keep getting physical books as long as they keep making them, but I may get the same book on E-reader as well. Enjoying the classic does not mean denying the future.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    It's also a little bit annoying that people are like "OMG Luddite" whenever someone wants us to think about the effects of advancing technology.
    Thinking about the effects and spelling the doom of society are two entirely different activities. It's the difference between being critical and being melodramatic about change.

Plus, it's just so typical. This type of reaction has literally happened throughout the history of media.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

I find physical books easier on the eyes. That said, I spend untold hours working/desktop and playing/laptop, both going at the same time since I have too much to lose on my desktop, to risk a virus or malware by connecting to the Internet on it. Now if you consider how much I read and write on both computers, it makes me wonder if the ease of reading physical books, has a strong psychological component to it. And logically, my response would have to be "yes".

But I've always loved books so much. *considers shedding her blankie* *cries*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Plus, it's just so typical. This type of reaction has literally happened throughout the history of media.
    Actually, it seems to happen just about any time a major change has occurred in history, not just limited to media. It is human nature to resist change, initially at least.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Is it time to spin the Wheel of Societal Collapse again?

That said, I find it ironic that new technology - ordering books online - helped me find the physical books I want.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Is it time to spin the Wheel of Societal Collapse again?

That said, I find it ironic that new technology - ordering books online - helped me find the physical books I want.
    True.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

i think e-books are very useful.

1) they are much less expensive. one can download most e-books for free, and even if one does have to pay, it is usually a fraction of the cost of a paperback. my income is low and it was e-books that allowed me to continue reading more or less what i wanted while at university and afterward. i wouldn't have been able to buy all the books i needed in real-time format. a paperback is 1/15 of my monthly salary on average, more if it was printed in a foreign country.

i realize that going to a library could be an option, but most libraries here have an exceptionally poor range of books (read: if you need something, it is not going to be there). when i was a student there was a constant fight over the sources available at the department library - there was one or two copies of each and whoever came first would get them, while the others had to order theirs online for discount bookstores, search for e-books or buy paperbacks, if they could afford any. the national and town libraries had nothing to offer that would be of value.

not to mention that, for someone like myself, reading anything at a library can be difficult. i grow restless almost at once and can't concentrate - i'm not sure why, perhaps because it is not "home" (as in, a familiar, secure space) and there is not enough physical privacy, what with people i don't know walking around all the time, or because i cannot do what i do in private to help myself focus (change my physical posture to a more comfortable one, stroke one of my cats, make some tea etc.). i have to get up, walk along the corridor and back and go to the coffee machine and then return to the reading. besides, going to a library requires time, which i frequently don't have - whereas with an ebook, i can open it on my pc and read it in fragments while doing something else, such as translating or housework. this matches my haphazard style of reading perfectly and there is no time lost. finally, there are books one would want to possess and to be able to use them whenever it becomes necessary - books on philosophy, poetry collections, and, for me, textbooks, grammar reference sources, collections of articles on linguistics etc. reading any of those at a library once a week would not be enough.

2) there is a far greater chance of finding rare or specialized literature in e-book format. i don't think i would be able to locate skorik's grammar of the chukchi language any other way - i doubt it is available as a paperback even in moscow, and here it is practically unheard of. but i was able to download the ebook from a russian public e-library without any trouble. so far, i've found only one real-time hungarian textbook, which is excellent but does not cover all the morphological aspects of the language, but online i found another two-part textbook that is more extensive, as well as a comprehensive grammar.

3) when i move house, i won't have to have boxfuls of books transported to the new apartment (again, saves a considerable amount of time, effort and money). and if i have to go abroad, whether permanently or not, i will be able to take my library with me rather than leave it behind.

the only exception are books that are complex enough and easier to read in small sections of several sentences or paragraphs which i would then want to reflect on. i do prefer those to be paperbacks (bought a copy of heidegger's "being and time" a few weeks ago for this reason).
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I completely agree with bluestripes, for people who live in non-english-speaking countries - or, more generally, nations where bookshops are less commercially savvy, ebooks are a real blessing.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

I resisted e-books at first, but now I really like them. I love, for instance, using my iPad as a cookbook. The only thing I don't like is that most ebooks aren't indexed very well if they are at all, and I really enjoy and use an index. I like regular books, but I have a tendency to accumulate them and they just take up space.

The only thing I'm not wild about is switching to all e-books in the classroom. It's one thing if students have e-readers, but if you have students taking iPads to class, there's all kinds of potential for distraction. Of course, I'm not a fan of students bringing laptops to class, either. Inevitably, the students who bring laptops are the ones who miss things and want me to re-explain because they had a ready-made distraction when they got bored in class. I love the idea of technology in the classroom, but experience tells me that technology means more distraction for a lot of students.
    Something Witty

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

From what I've picked up by osmosis, there are big issues between authors and publishing companies with regards to copy right etc, etc. The law doesn't cover the medium of e-books well. I also think there are issues over royalties and such. I could be wrong.
    However e-books have been absolute godsend to me in the arse end of the outback. In a town of illiterates, I'm still assured of decent reading material as long as I have access to the internet. I'm not being fair, there is a book shop that is fairly accommodating, but it's very small and limited in it's stock ( the owners do chose well, they do have tasty morsels), but e-books have assured a steady supply. I'm guilty to admit I order a fair amount of physical books from Amazon. I really should patronize local business but even with postage it's cheaper.
    Honestly? I don't think e-books are destroying society. In some ways, it makes life easier. It makes my reading addiction a lot easier to facilitate. I can read three books for the price of one. If I really like it I buy a psychical copy. I kinda like the fact I can carry an entire library in my back pocket.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]