• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The most interesting comic book villains

Lark

I submit that Poison Ivy is one of the more interesting comic book villains, seriously, who comes up with taht idea, a botanist turned eco terrorist who uses a combination of femine wils and toxins?

I'm pretty sure that she's avoided the fate of the majority of female comic book heroes and villains too.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Sylar off the Heroes' TV show because he's a throwback to the old style villain who didn't have to have some complex psychological motivation to justify his behavior. He makes no pretense or apology for what he is or does; he just is what he is.

He started as a garden-variety psychopath/collector who seemed to have no mercy and would cause as much pain as possible, just because he could. (His power is that of intuitive aptitude -- he understands how things work, and he can "learn" the powers of other superhumans, becoming an eclectic grabbag of abilities and thus quickly more powerful than other superhumans.)

He then was in a position to try and reform himself, because he wasn't happy, and momentarily struggled with his identity.
He finally decided that it was all a lie and at heart he actually was a predator.

But the interesting thing is that, in the process of deciding that, he has set practical goals for himself and no longer preys on people the way he used to. Whereas before he seemed to go out of his way to hurt others out of boredom or because he could, now he seems capable of making decisions and coordinating with others in ways that help him accomplish his higher-end objectives. At times he has tolerated the presence of others, even providing a fatherly influence/guidance to one character about life in general, rather than just settling for short-term gratification for himself.

Whereas before he was ruthless, now he's a bit more accessible on a human level even if he's still just out for himself. It's kind of an odd style character growth.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I'm seconding the vote for Sylar. In season 1, he was fantastic.

I've always had a fondness for Mystique. (And Xmen in general)

Mystique.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm seconding the vote for Sylar. In season 1, he was fantastic.

He was terrifying, especially when we didn't know who he was.

I've always had a fondness for Mystique. (And Xmen in general)

Well, now you're also venturing into Phoenix territory... who actually really was a good character throughout the Claremont/Byrne run but by this point has been beaten to death over and over. (And then there's Rogue... + her relationship with Mystique.)

LucidLegend1984

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Amazons women from Y THE LAST MAN. Very interesting to see what women would do if all the men died all of a sudden. What's even cooler is one of their members is blood related to the protagonist.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, as obvious as he is, someone should say the Joker. His odd relationship with Batman, the "super-sanity" theory, his foggy backstory, his death wish and strange motivations... he's a very unique villain. More than just a hack n' slash madman, less cliche than a mastermind, and nobody's henchman.

I mean, there's a reason the Dark Knight using the depiction of the Joker that comics have had for decades made such a huge impression, and if you read "The Killing Joke" and don't think he's one of comic's best villains, I do not understand you.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ozymandias. (Even though he specifically said he wasn't a comic book villain.)