User Tag List

12 Last

Default Non-competitive people: What do you usually think of interactive strategy games?

I've been thinking a fair bit on this issue lately, especially after a conversation with my partner. Differences in competitiveness can obviously have an influence on how much people enjoy playing things together so I figured it was something worth looking into.

As a competitive player I'm constantly seeking strategies that will help improve my game and perhaps do well relative to the others. Obviously I like to win, but I don't mind losing as well: It just means my strategy wasn't good enough.

Anyhow I'm curious what it's like to play strategy games from a non-competitive person's perspective. Do you feel a strong drive to find the 'best' strategies? How do you usually react to other people that come across as extremely strategy driven?

If I were to use chess as an example. It's hard to imagine what it's like to play these games from a non-competitive players point of view given the nature of the game. What would your motivation be in this scenario?

PS. I suppose this question can be applied to anything that is interactive such as tennis etc.

figsfiggyfigs

Their breed sickens me.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

You still want to win just for the sake of the game, but don't make a big deal out of it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yeah, I mean, using strategy is something everyone is going to do, whether they're competitive or not (unless they're the kind of person that's incapable of thinking strategically...but competitive people suffer from this as often as their non-competitive counterparts.) I personally enjoy competitive games, but I've noticed that others who don't simply avoid playing them. Or they do shit like join 3v3s with their friends so that the competitive pressure is distributed between enough other people.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    STP

I always am looking for the best strategy, the difference is that I am not out to win or lose. I am out to find the best strategy...end of story. Once I do, I get bored and move on unless there are other things in the game to keep me playing.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If it's complex enough, I'll usually think of it as interacting with the game instead of with the opponent. Creating interesting results is probably as interesting to me as winning. If I get bored, I'll probably just start messing around.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ? sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    If it's complex enough, I'll usually think of it as interacting with the game instead of with the opponent. Creating interesting results is probably as interesting to me as winning. If I get bored, I'll probably just start messing around.
    Described me so well... I guess this is all ENFPs in the world way of playing games
    The messing around part is so true...

I'm not that interested in winning, but I'll get if there's any annoying cocky competitive person playing that keeps humilliating others.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    As a competitive player I'm constantly seeking strategies that will help improve my game and perhaps do well relative to the others. Obviously I like to win, but I don't mind losing as well: It just means my strategy wasn't good enough.
    Could you define what you mean by competitive, then? I'm not sure given your OP. If you don't mind losing, that to me is the opposite of competitive. So I'm not sure which side I fall on. I'm competitive in that I like to improve and not competitive in that winning isn't that important, other than (importantly!) as a signal of better strategy.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

Anyhow I'm curious what it's like to play strategy games from a non-competitive person's perspective. Do you feel a strong drive to find the 'best' strategies? How do you usually react to other people that come across as extremely strategy driven?
    I don't play many games of pure strategy like chess. It's too slow moving and too intense. (Turns in INTP badge). I do like games that combine some strategy with luck. I do attempt to find good strategies and enjoy improving my skills but I'm not too intense about it. I play mostly for fun. People who are extremely strategy driven are annoying when you make an error of strategy and they call you out on it. Just let me play the game in my own way and let me learn for myself.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I was going to post with my views but then I realised I AM a competitive person and I hate strategy games. Especially chess.

I don't mind playing them if I don't have to think or plan out strategies consciously and if the game moves quickly and I have a decent shot at winning. I get bored really quickly if it's all slow and silent and people take hours to make a single move.