• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kingdoms of Amalar: Reckoning

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm seeing some potential in this game, have been eying on this game since last year. Basically, people have been thinking this would be something like Elder Scrolls and Fable (after all, people from Elder Scrolls are working on this game.)

I'm thinking this would at least be better than Fable III (which was a slight letdown seeing how easy it was for me to get through the game using magic alone... though it could take me quite a bit to unlock all the doors....not to mention how fast the story went by.)

Seems to also have quite a bit of story into the game too. So, just keeping watch until the release day (February 7th.)

Demo? Sure.
http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/demo

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm intrigued by R.A. Salvatore's involvement. Having former elder scrolls people working on it is interesting, but I'm not sure what that really means for it (it could mean a great skills/abilities/faction mechanics as in Daggerfall and Morrowind, or it could mean disapointing/simplistic combat mechanics or any number of other possibilities). The artistic style shown in the demo is not to my liking tho, which detracts a bit from the excitement I might otherwise have for a game that looks to have a lot of potential. I doubt I'll be buying any new computer or video games for quite a while, but I will be curious to read reviews and comments once it is released.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm very much looking forward to this game. That particular video didnt do much for me, but other videos have. I'll probably wait to pick it up, but thats more about work being busy and wanting to read reviews to decide between a PS3 or xbox360 version. I'm absolutely planning to get this though, and was immediately smitten from the moment I saw the first video of it.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've tried the demo.

Although I didn't get too far, it is harder than Fable III (to say the least.) I think with the limited time I had (after the beginning "tutorial"/beginning-story) and the limited zones I could explore. It's nice, didn't feel like there was any method of playing to make the game easy (My method of choice is Sword+Shield though so.) I couldn't really create too many combos (since this is just a demo) but the typical hack+slash+shield(yes, shield can be used with any weapon you choose, so it is useful) but you can change weapons mid-way and attack like that.

You can't walk (almost) everywhere like you can in ES, but the look and feel of the game was nice. I've totally forgot screenshot for steam was f12, otherwise I would of screenshot a bit of what I did. So unfortunately, this is all I can show hehe. I won't spoil the fun, but you guys can still just download the demo (has a demo for PS3/PC/Xbox.)

amalar.jpg

I'm very much looking forward to this game. That particular video didnt do much for me, but other videos have. I'll probably wait to pick it up, but thats more about work being busy and wanting to read reviews to decide between a PS3 or xbox360 version. I'm absolutely planning to get this though, and was immediately smitten from the moment I saw the first video of it.

Yes, I will change it to a different trailer, sort of chose one that was cinematic instead of the actual look and feel of the game.

The artistic style shown in the demo is not to my liking tho, which detracts a bit from the excitement I might otherwise have for a game that looks to have a lot of potential.

I actually like the style, it isn't too rough, but it isn't too "cartoony" either (say, just for an obvious comparison, to something like WoW.)

KDude

This is a fun enough game/world. Combat is better than most rpgs, but I hate the character designs. Where's the "Aragorn" look? A lot of the haircuts are short and slicked back and shit. The humans look like they belong in an episode of Mad Men.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I've spent a whole day playing KoA. (And I just noticed I spelled Amalur as Amalar >.<)

I believe I've got to level 10 (forgot already.) Most of the day was spent running to different towns and places, doing side quests, getting and loot. As for the look of the game, I'm still good with it. The issue I have is that there is more action than there is rpg. There are probably hundreds of quest, but the one I've gone the furthest with the whole day I spent playing was at the House of Valor (stumbled upon it while playing) it was one of the fastest way to gain loot, much needed exp, and equipment (instead of crude equips.) But I've spent the whole damn day traversing the continent. (not sure how to get to the other continent with the swamp and frozen area yet).

I think, without the fast travels, it would of token longer than a day for what I've done. Maybe I should stop using fast travel.

So far my favorite play style is using chakrams. and longswords. I've gone something of a warrior/mage hybrid going on... and currently at tier three.