User Tag List

123 Last

Default Name Actors That Play The Same Character In Every Film

Madame Chana said something in another discussion that jogged a personal observation--
    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    am i the only one who finds her extremely irritating? i hate her whole quirky girl with bangs shtick and she just plays some variation on herself in every role. plus those fucking cotton commercials.
    I find that these actors often portray the same idiosyncrasies, facial ticks, and mannerisms in every film --usually just playing some simplified version of themselves. And often it works until it doesn't any more... or they're pigeon-holed for life. --But there are actors that I like that manage this, like Christopher Walken and Seth Rogen. But then there's the bubbly girl cadre that indefinitely pisses me off, like Jennifer Aniston, or indecisive, weak-willed neurotics-r-us, like Woody Allen.

Why is this phenomenon? And why does it work sometimes and sometimes not? Who are actors that play the same tired stereotype in every role they take on?

I'll nominate a few: Woody Allen, Angelina Jolie (tired of your tough, angry, wounded bitch schtick), Jennifer Aniston, and Seth Rogen (likable, but always the awkward, hapless underdog that luck smiles on after unleashing a shitstorm).
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Clint Eastwood, Keanu Reeves, Jerry Lewis.. and probably most stand-up comedians gone movie star: Chris Rock, Chris Tucker, more.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

A number of people involved in action films. Statham, Schwartzenegger, etc.

Same for girls who go into rom-coms. Katherine Heigel, Kate Hudson, Meg Ryan, Zooey Deschanel (though her characters are slightly more memorable to me).

Joe Pesci doesn't have a ton of range, nor does Sean Connery.

Adam Sandler only knows how to play a semi-functional manchild. Could argue the same about Will Farrell.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Total zing on Meg Ryan. I've enjoyed her films and the personal relatability, but as a theatrical study, she bores the shite out of me.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Pretty much everyone in the Judd Apatow crew (seth roger, jonah hill, paul rudd)

Will Ferrell
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Michael Cera is super guilty of this.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Samuel L. Jackson
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Gumby
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Gumby
    And here I thought only human beings qualified as actors!

MBTI
    INTP

Nicholas Cage is almost always the same character (Leaving Las Vegas, Con Air, The Rock, The Wicker Man, Lord of War, etc.), but he has been in just enough films to make him appear to be a more diverse actor

I believe Jason Statham has always played the same character in every movie I have seen with him