• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Name Actors That Play The Same Character In Every Film

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
  • Johnny Depp (the male version of Zoe Deschanel)
  • Kevin Costner (a person with no personality)
  • Jim Carrey (does the same comedic act over and over)
  • Richard Gere (a person with no personality who is also obnoxious to look at)
  • Robert DeNiro (a gangster)
  • Joe Pesci (a gangster who pisses someone off and gets himself killed)
  • Will Ferrell (an idiot)
  • Jeff Goldblum (a histrionic absent-minded professor)
  • Morgan Freeman (a wise old black man)
  • Nicholas Cage (something in between Jimmy Stewart and Jeff Goldblum)
  • Reginald Veljohnson (a cop)
  • Gary Oldman (an over-the-top villain)
  • Robert Redford (a guy in desperate need of a facelift)
  • Andy Serkis (a computer animated character)

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Julia Roberts. Harrison Ford. Sylvester Stallone.

pickledoctopus

MBTI Type
InTj
I will start by saying that Morgan Freeman was not a wise old black man in Street Smarts.

I will follow up by evoking Reb Brown and his ever-so-entertaining crappy action B-movies.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eh, no. She had a very different role as the mom in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." The new one, of course.

She also played queen Elizabeth in "The King's Speech," and was the Ape love interest in the remake of "Planet of the Apes."

her average role is that of someone somewhat deranged though... most of her roles for Tim Burton, Fight Club, Harry Potter (any appearance as Bellatrix)... all crazy ladies :crazy:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The Ü;1773543[* said:
Gary Oldman (an over-the-top villain)

What about Batman Begins? He was a good guy there. :D

Still, Oldman is in my "What the hell are you doing in this movie?" list. :/

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- Megan Fox
- George Clooney
- Michael Cera
- Ryan Reynolds
- Katherine Heigl
- Seth Rogen
- Owen Wilson
- Ben Stiller
- Rip Torn

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't think we were being that by the book.

The underlined question in the op was:
Who are actors that play the same tired stereotype in every role they take on?

Since I disagreed with you and Viridian, I provided examples. I consider it being relevant to the topic. Feel free to call it whatever you like.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder how much is lack of talent vs. suppressed talent via typecasting.

Mr. TickTock

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so
Most actors...Period.

I don't really see a problem with this though. Is it a bad thing that someone is a better comedy actor then drama? Well thats a bad example. Comedy is easier. But still. Nothing wrong with having a specialty.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is an awesome thread! I agree with many that have already been said, but would like to add Dane Cook, Zach Braff, and (though I love him), Mark Wahlberg.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Most actors...Period.

I don't really see a problem with this though. Is it a bad thing that someone is a better comedy actor then drama? Well thats a bad example. Comedy is easier. But still. Nothing wrong with having a specialty.

Comedy is actually really difficult. I think exceptional comedy is probably a little harder than exceptional drama. In comedy, something either works or it doesn't, and you can look like a fool pretty easily. There are shades of quality in dramatic acting where you can be competent but not exceptional. Lots of comedic actors have successfully taken on dramatic roles. Only a few dramatic actors that I can think of have done the reverse, and much of the time the comedy plays off preconceived notions of the actor's seriousness.

/derail

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I wonder how much is lack of talent vs. suppressed talent via typecasting.

I think it's this. Most actors are frustrated by typecasting, and would prefer to showcase their versatility. But Hollywood is about making money, and they can usually make more money off of a "personality" than an actor that disappears into a role. It's rare somebody gets to be versatile AND a draw, like Meryl Streep.